Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion Rhan

Methuselah

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl

Had to cancel my trip to Cardiff tonight to the theatre - half past 4 left Newport - 7 o'clock got back to the Rhymney Valley and Andy you were right - lucky just to get home - my mate left work same time as me but at 8'oclock still not back to Caerphilly - what a nightmare journey. Blowing a blizzard out here 2 to 3 foot drifts and no end in site - if this keeps going all night as it is now could be looking at some pretty amazing scenes in the morning. Daughter phoned from Cardiff but said hardly anything where she was - light snow - nearly drizzle.

Wise decision there!

PS: Your surname is not Clarke is it?

JK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

i think it's going to be exactly what we got now. light 'drizzle' like snow, blowing around. should be a fun morning.

We still have very heavy snow/blizzard here and have for a good 2 hours or so now, sky looks full of it! how come it is still so heavy here but not other places?

Posted

we have 2ft drifts up here howling wind -0.1 c

Same here its really nasty out, the flakes arent big theyr small but the snow is so thick coming down, places shelterd dont have much accumilation but places in the wind the drifts are really getting going and theres a few more hours of this!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Karma, it was our turn!

Lol yeah, think we could get it like this right through till tomoz morning?

Edited by Deepsnow

Posted

Bit specific that andy, 25th Jan. What have you seen?

woody

American forecaster Joe B - had this winter pinned down last winter and he's been spot on - so I'm going with his forecast

Posted

We still have very heavy snow/blizzard here and have for a good 2 hours or so now, sky looks full of it! how come it is still so heavy here but not other places?

perhaps, for once, you're actually BENEFITING from being close to the sea?

I'm quite surprised the sleet level on the radar has actually pushed out into the Bristol channel. I honestly wasn't expecting to see that tonight.

Edited by bennytes

Posted

Ok - some impressive snow grains falling now - strong north easterly wind as well. In past 15 mins since it started it's trying very hard to stick to the cars outside.

Not 'flakes' though - just big 'fluffy' grains of snow...

Long night of lampost watching possibly!!!

What's it like in rest of mid wales?

Posted

perhaps, for once, you're actually BENEFITING from being close to the sea?

I'm quite surprised the sleet level on the radar has actually pushed out into the Bristol channel. I honestly wasn't expecting to see that tonight.

yeah i think so lol despite the snow coming from the NE my garden is covered, and in the corner ontop of the green container there are like 6inch drifts! doing good so far and no sign of a let up! this is what i have been waiting for, might not be the food of snow i wanted, but if we have 2 - 3 inches atm then could be 5 - 6 come morning maybe more, depending on what its like through the night

Posted

A gradual thaw Andy with maxiima 2-4c until the weekend, when yes it could get to average levels and finish off the snow cover. Can't see really low minima with the cloud left over from this system tomorrow night should think.

nope GFS has a clear sky, no clouds , full snow cover = freezin temps -12 - take a look at the GFS temps for tomorrow night if you don't believe me

Posted

Just been for a walk up the lane at the back of the house, upto about 190m asl, and boy it's wild up there: the whole lane's filling in with snow being blown off the fields. Magic. So rare to get conditions like these in SW Wales!

Back at the house, not so good: sleet and ice pellets more than snow. I think we need the heavier precipitation here.

I'd give you the temp, but my sensor has been buried in a 3" drift of slush!

Edited by benb

Posted

Took quite a while getting home, complete white out outside with about 4-5 inches, and drifts closer to 8 inches in places. Still moderate snow outside, but much less at other times. However much slushier down in lower areas and not much settling at sea level.

Lol, it took me about an hour and a half at least to get from singleton hospital to home (approx 1 mile).

I went for a jog as i could not out to go swimming, and on the edges of the fields at the top of Tycoch hill,there are drifts of 2 foot (over knee height anyway).

One side of the field there is a few inches ,the other where the drifting is occuring as i said nearly 2 foot.

I stood next to the drift, and the amount of snow blowing over it was immense! put my hand on the edge of the drift and it was covered within a minute.

Bumped into a bloke who was clearing the road near the top of the hill,(think he just wanted a play in it really!...was that any of you lot?),anyway we helped push a struggling fiesta up the hill,which just made it.

As you say there has been well over 3 inches in general ,and if this keeps up for even just another 3 or 4 hours those drifts will be HUGE!.

This is all happening in Swansea may i add.

Who said there would be no snow??

I apologised to the three lamp posts near my house also.

They have delivered spectaculary.

Proper blizzards.

However , is this likely to turn to sleet within the next few hours at even the highest levels in Swansea??

Is it rain / sleet in Mumbles yet?? or still snow??

Edited by pascalsbongo

Posted

Wise decision there!

PS: Your surname is not Clarke is it?

JK

Hi JK - No not Clarke but only living a few miles from yourself in Penpedairheol. Got many phones on the way home about going to Cardiff tonight - don't think people appreciate how bad it is on the roads out there if you haven't been out in it. I'd say theres zero chance of getting to work tommorrow unless this turns to rain but it don't look likely here - still coming down horizontally - right out for a pint in the garage accross the road to discuss the snow with the other grumpy old men. Take care

Steve

Posted

white over on the roads and everywhere at sea level in cardiff. windy, cold, snowing. bootifull

Just around the corner from you slammer looks like it started sticking properly when cardiff barage went below 0c on the dew point

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Long night of lampost watching possibly!!!

What's it like in rest of mid wales?

Very light seems to be giving up the ghost a bit..just hope that it does not thaw too much overnight now. A good 2 inches or so fresh was more than I thought would get though.

Posted

3.2 degrees here now. hopeless. I'm gonna call myself Mr Pascalmonopoly and get REALLY pessemistic now!

woody

sorry your not having much luck - unfortunately due to the gulf stream drift your kind of in the wrong place for this particular event - you have better luck when there's a north west cold artic wind and a streamer sets itself up - lots of the winter still to come and more chances will come in february I'm sure

Posted

Front is varying in intesity as it moves forward and comes up against convergencel line/cold air and the mountains in wales

Posted

nope GFS has a clear sky, no clouds , full snow cover = freezin temps -12 - take a look at the GFS temps for tomorrow night if you don't believe me

Not a question of not believing you Andy! Just that those GFS temps are notoriously innacurate. Shall we agree to differ? I predict -2c minimum here tomorrow night so we shall see who is closest:p

Yes, but he predicts the same thing every year, so he's bound to be right once in a blue moon. Not having a go just not sure he's the right man to place so much faith in.

Indeed he was bound to be proven right eventually, LOL.

Posted

i don`t know where this wind is you guys are all on about but it`s not here in newport we hardly have a breez never mind a blizzard although its still snowing.nonono.gif

Posted

i don`t know where this wind is you guys are all on about but it`s not here in newport we hardly have a breez never mind a blizzard although its still snowing.nonono.gif

we must be getting a double dose here then, because it's howling out there.