Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion Rhan

Methuselah

Posted

It's sleet in Mumbles, almost stopped completely. Absolutely nothing on ground now.

Take a drive up the top of Tycoch hill, go for a walk in the two foot snow drifts in the fields , amazing blizzards ,eye stinging snow so bad you have to turn away from it.

Keeping an eye on your posts as the more rainy it turns down there , then i will know the game is nearly over.

However if this can keep up for another 4 or 5 hours then we could have 6 inches plus all over.

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl

Hi JK - No not Clarke but only living a few miles from yourself in Penpedairheol. Got many phones on the way home about going to Cardiff tonight - don't think people appreciate how bad it is on the roads out there if you haven't been out in it. I'd say theres zero chance of getting to work tommorrow unless this turns to rain but it don't look likely here - still coming down horizontally - right out for a pint in the garage accross the road to discuss the snow with the other grumpy old men. Take care

Steve

I used to live in 5 Ty Nant in Penpedairheol!

Posted

Yes, but he predicts the same thing every year, so he's bound to be right once in a blue moon. Not having a go just not sure he's the right man to place so much faith in.

Still coming down nicely in North Cardiff; smallish flakes though. I'd say about an inch or so has accumulated although maybe deeper if the snow has drifted. Strangely, grass in the back garden hasn't been completely covered although the front one has.

You gotta put your faith in someone and he had this mega extreme cold spell absolutely nailed on 1st Jan - 10th Jan when everyone else including the meto were talking about a "mild" winter. The way he explains himself and believes that global warming doesn't exist etc. and gives reasons for why this cold is about gives me reasons to think his forecasting methods as he said are not just about number crunching with a computer like the hadley centre in exeter (the meto) - but about looking at lots of other factors and using his experience in the "old fashioned" way of forecasting to come up with better forecasts and more accurate ones.

Posted

looks like there may be another heavier band forming out in the channel and heading for us?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Completely stopped here now:( guess mid wales will miss out as the band weakens

Posted

Not a question of not believing you Andy! Just that those GFS temps are notoriously innacurate. Shall we agree to differ? I predict -2c minimum here tomorrow night so we shall see who is closest:p

Indeed he was bound to be proven right eventually, LOL.

I'll eagerly await the temps tomorrow night then

Posted

Hi all been great so far but me and kids been out back for 2 hrs and noticed over the last hr that the wind has dropped loads and only getting gusts every 10 to 15 mins, and noticed that the snow has gone very light,so looked at the radar and it does look like we are over the heavy stuff and i think it will be gone by 12 midnight what you think or am i reading this wrong.

thanks guys

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

1 or 2 photos just taken, they are real photos, but the exposure has been lightened, as it is pitch black outside.

Thanks for the pics, done allot better than me here in Morriston :whistling: just a slush here, but earlier the snow was heavy for about an hour after that rain and sleet.

Will go up the hills tomorrow see how much is up there. Current temp 1.6C

Posted

1 or 2 photos just taken, they are real photos, but the exposure has been lightened, as it is pitch black outside.

As you get to the top of the hill, and then start to go down Ystrad Road (that lane , i think thats its name) ,and then go into the first field on the right hand side , you will see those huge drifts i mentioned before.

From your pics , i would guess your only a few hundred yards from there.

The foot prints you will see are mine lol, however they may even have been filled in by now lol.

WHO SAID THERE WOULD BE NO SNOW!!

Posted

Hi all been great so far but me and kids been out back for 2 hrs and noticed over the last hr that the wind has dropped loads and only getting gusts every 10 to 15 mins, and noticed that the snow has gone very light,so looked at the radar and it does look like we are over the heavy stuff and i think it will be gone by 12 midnight what you think or am i reading this wrong.

thanks guys

No I think it'll be more like in the early hours of the morning the way the front is moving - still more to come yet!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

I'll eagerly await the temps tomorrow night then

Your on -2c versus -12c!:whistling:

Posted

All this icy rain/drizzle/snizzle or god knows what it is is spoiling everything... god lots of slush out there now and very slippery

Need some HEAVY precip here or the rest of the night will be this pathetic crap.

What started off as a very good afternoon with optimism has turned to a wet and sludgy hell hole.

Still some snow remains although it feels a little wet (great snow balls by the way :whistling: )

Posted

Thanks for the pics, done allot better than me here in Morriston dry.gif just a slush here, but earlier the snow was heavy for about an hour after that rain and sleet.

Will go up the hills tomorrow see how much is up there. Current temp 1.6C

Just a slush at 295ft?

Is that just on the roads? or is that everywhere??

Would seem every 50ft is making a huge difference.

Just checked outside as it looked like the lampost was throwing a wobbler and giving rain , but its very fine snow......

How long before height here will make no difference and it gives way to rain?

Posted

All this icy rain/drizzle/snizzle or god knows what it is is spoiling everything... god lots of slush out there now and very slippery

Need some HEAVY precip here or the rest of the night will be this pathetic crap.

What started off as a very good afternoon with optimism has turned to a wet and sludgy hell hole.

Still some snow remains although it feels a little wet (great snow balls by the way :p )

Given the progression of the front to the NE, that was bound to happen for the SW of Wales as the warmer air in the circualation mixes in.

Posted

It's sleet in Mumbles, almost stopped completely. Absolutely nothing on ground now.

Its amazing what a bit of height can do as I'm just off Langland Corner at about 70m asl and all surfaces are covered. However, it's border line as if you go outside you can hear the dreaded drip drip.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

The small drift on the storage box by the back door lol and pic of garden taken a few mins ago! Snow is still heavy but not as heavy as can see further now! Hope it doesnt stop any time soon or get too light :S It will be interesting to see what its like in the morning!

post-10181-12633300708128_thumb.jpg

post-10181-12633301492128_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deepsnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers

I used to live in 5 Ty Nant in Penpedairheol!

Sori just being nosey. The English translation of that adress is "The top (or the end) of four roads". This Welsh busnes is far more expressive than English.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Just a slush at 295ft?

Is that just on the roads? or is that everywhere??

Would seem every 50ft is making a huge difference.

Just checked outside as it looked like the lampost was throwing a wobbler and giving rain , but its very fine snow......

How long before height here will make no difference and it gives way to rain?

slushy all around here, but im sure about 5-10mins up the road its proper snow.

More sleet at the moment here to.

Posted

There's only one problem - how much snow do you have? we have approaching 2 - 3ft drifts!

We had 4 inches left from last week, so must be a level 6 inches on the lawn now. Is that a problem?