Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion Rhan

Methuselah

Posted

Hi all been great so far but me and kids been out back for 2 hrs and noticed over the last hr that the wind has dropped loads and only getting gusts every 10 to 15 mins, and noticed that the snow has gone very light,so looked at the radar and it does look like we are over the heavy stuff and i think it will be gone by 12 midnight what you think or am i reading this wrong.

thanks guys

no wind in Ogmore vale and gales here?

Posted

We had 4 inches left from last week, so must be a level 6 inches on the lawn now. Is that a problem?

the amount of snow generally left over for the over night period will influence this extreme temperature drop - meaning it will be localised - so you may only get -2 but I may get -12

Posted

There's only one problem - how much snow do you have? we have approaching 2 - 3ft drifts!

Interesting wager going on here, i will plump for the -2 side , as -12 does sound a tad low, and unless as well as your altitude you have built a secret Burj Tower , of which you reside on the top floor , then i cant see -12.

I was horribly wrong saying there would be no snow today, so it probably will be close to -12 up there.

Posted

whiteout here, complete blizzard - horizontal snow

Light continous snow for the last 3 hours here in Tregaron. Approx 1 cm new snow on existing layer, temp = -1, wind light and variable

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

no wind in Ogmore vale and gales here?

It is strange! Winds arent as gusty here atm but snow has gotten a bit heavier though! Strange to think that you dont have to go that far away and its completely different.

Posted

Interesting wager going on here, i will plump for the -2 side , as -12 does sound a tad low, and unless as well as your altitude you have built a secret Burj Tower , of which you reside on the top floor , then i cant see -12.

I was horribly wrong saying there would be no snow today, so it probably will be close to -12 up there.

If andy right i give you100 pound to a charity of your choice pascal.And i dont gamble lol. Edited by keithlucky

Posted

Well this looks very interesting - I don't always trust the GFS but it's short term predictions tend to be pretty spot on, so I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow night!

Posted

i think another band of heavier precipitation might be forming in a line nw from south of bristol going over us towards west wales

they've just had a lightning strike down there (bristol way) as well

Posted

If andy right i give you100 pound to a charity of your choice pascal.And i dont gamble lol.

I'll get a piccy taken then of my thermometer for tomorrow night! - love a challenge!

Just looked outside - and it looks like the inside of my freezer before i defrost it - snow absolutely everywhere in copious amounts - I can certainly see where possibly GFS will get this very low temp for tomorrow night as this freezer effect from the snow plus no cloud cover letting any warmth leave the atmosphere should lead to a bone chilling -12

Edited by andymusic

Posted

I could be wrong but looking at sat24 it looks like the back edge of this system is still being fed with cloud

would that prolong the snowfall for south east wales

cardiff barage @21:09

temp 0.5

dp -0.4

winds ene average speed 12mph

Edited by nomad098

Posted

I could be wrong but looking at sat24 it looks like the back edge of this system is still being fed with cloud

would that prolong the snowfor south east wales

cardiff barage @21:09

temp 0.5

dp -0.4

winds ene average speed 12mph

Certainly could

Posted

i think another band of heavier precipitation might be forming in a line nw from south of bristol going over us towards west wales

they've just had a lightning strike down there (bristol way) as well

I said storms where forming!

Posted

I said storms where forming!

does this mean what i think it means?

warm air rising, rising, dumping dumping?

:whistling:

the front edge of the front seems to have stalled again too

Posted

Still snowing in Cardiff. Sticking now and looking for good accumulations hopefully! Not bad for so near the coast - do you think that the narrowness (is this a word?!) of the severn estuary by us might be a factor i.e. no warming from the sea? and a big(ish) landmass to the South. I hope this makes sense to somebody!unsure.gif

Posted

Well this looks very interesting - I don't always trust the GFS but it's short term predictions tend to be pretty spot on, so I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow night!

Roll up roll up place your bets please.....

Pascal says -3

However i must ask ,whom will be providing the reading ?

If this is a reading from your weather station Andy then we may be unwise to bet against -12???

Anyone else care to guess the temperature near Andys house this evening??

Just went outside to give the lampost a hug, and were not back to blizzards but i suppose heavy snow will do for now.

Looking at the precip type for tonight, GFS has slightly milder air and upper slowly edging in. NAE keeps it as snow for most place until 6am.

NMM also keeps it as mostly snow, look at this very impressive dewpoint charts.

I don't think there is that much in it, snow types will largely remain as they are, but around early morning, it then should turn much more sleety.

I think intensity will perhaps play a bigger part, in heavier bursts snow is likely to lower levels, with sleet/rain possible to some lower levels in lighter bursts. Which has already happened to a certain degree.

Still snowing in Cardiff. Sticking now and looking for good accumulations hopefully! Not bad for so near the coast - do you think that the narrowness (is this a word?!) of the severn estuary by us might be a factor i.e. no warming from the sea? and a big(ish) landmass to the South. I hope this makes sense to somebody!unsure.gif

Winds being SE rather than southerly helps as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Still snowing here in Swansea, not too heavy but it is drifting.

Posted

Roll up roll up place your bets please.....

Pascal says -3

However i must ask ,whom will be providing the reading ?

If this is a reading from your weather station Andy then we may be unwise to bet against -12???

Anyone else care to guess the temperature near Andys house this evening??

Just went outside to give the lampost a hug, and were not back to blizzards but i suppose heavy snow will do for now.

not tonight - tomorrow night once the front clears!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Still around 2 inches on the patio, but checked the drift and its now 7inches :) heavy snow/blizzard here now since just before 3pm so thats what, 6 and half hours? im very pleased with that and its still the same!