Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

If the NAE is right it looks like my area is going to get some heavy snow...and the really positive thing is, the precip radar is now only showing snow even over holyhead not much sleet around :pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Well the temp is good here -0.3°C, which is the lowest it's been for a couple of days, now all we need is the precip.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

If the NAE is right it looks like my area is going to get some heavy snow...and the really positive thing is, the precip radar is now only showing snow even over holyhead not much sleet around :)

Hi HC - just spotted that too after zooming in. Its a really interesting situation, because we don't want a too n/e fast track because that would just mean warmer air was crashing through, so the slow but steady progress is serving a snow-favourable purpose. The question is who will get the snow. It will all depend on slight variations in wind direction I feel. Atm DP's/temps are generally ok at all levels, but these may change as the ppn arrives. It's a very tantalizing and knife-edge situation for some and almost a gimme for others such as yourself. I need to sleep but............ :rolleyes:

Posted

If the NAE is right it looks like my area is going to get some heavy snow...and the really positive thing is, the precip radar is now only showing snow even over holyhead not much sleet around smile.gif

Looking good for Cheshire mate, Im not expecting much but a few centimetres would be nice! I think i will stay up and lampost watch for this one lol.

Posted

im sure and hope im wrong but if you play the met o radar you can see how much intensity its lost and with a way to go.....if the nae comes off it needs more intensity can someone explain how that could happen....irish sea as i hoped for earlier?

Actually looking again not that far to go still pretty light though i think

Edited by chris78

Posted

What time do we expect this band to hit the area?

The bbc seem to think 9am for Cheshire. I think if its the main band in concern probably only a few hours, but the bbc seem to haave the idea that the band will stop, which it is showing signs of, be it a little later than expected. It may even stall over your area depending how south and west you are.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Just filtering past north Wales now - so it will be interesting to see what effect, if any, the Irish Sea has over the next hour or so, but I really need to sleep... Why couldn't this happen 2 hrs ago!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

latest bbc forecast on tv shows the band broken up and nothing left at all, worth a mention for friday into saturday looking like it could be very windy with severe gales up the irish sea. and more widespread over the north and west uk.

post-9615-12633386150028_thumb.gif

Edited by james12

Posted

latest bbc forecast on tv shows the band broken up and nothing left at all, worth a mention for friday into saturday looking like it could be very windy with severe gales up the irish sea. and more widespread over the north and west uk.

Raintoday shows the band has intesified somewhat??

Posted

just checked out the back door, and its snowing lightly....sky looks very orange around me.....nothing on radar?!!?!?

edit: not wet snow, its falling like a feather still only light sky looks heavy.... how can it not be on radar? maybe because its so light

Edited by james12

Posted

some one else must be getting this???????? still snowing and got slightly bigger flakes......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Judging by this webcam from the North Wales coast, theres not much chance of rain!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northwest/sites/trafficcams//pages/llanfairfechan_roundabout.shtml

Posted

Ooooh I've just looked outside and there's must have been a light graupel shower or something, because there's a tinge of whiteness to the cars and also in the area of the road were the snow has melted from traffic use.

The radar does show a little spot of showers breaking out ahead of this snowy/sleet band in the south.

some one else must be getting this???????? still snowing and got slightly bigger flakes......

I'm not getting big flakes, but there has been a bit of falling dandruff lol Latest bbc forecast has the snow not even reaching our parts by 9am so on that note I'm off to bed

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

Ooooh I've just looked outside and there's must have been a light graupel shower or something, because there's a tinge of whiteness to the cars and also in the area of the road were the snow has melted from traffic use.

The radar does show a little spot of showers breaking out ahead of this snowy/sleet band in the south.

i have very light snow falling...and nothing on the radar at all......

Posted

i have very light snow falling...and nothing on the radar at all......

Yes, it's strange that. It's so light here, that even on lamp-post duty you can only detect it's snowing when a gust of wind whips it down. Almost like a freezing mist. Left a slight covering on the cars though :whistling:

Posted

The slush here which has melted a lot today is now crunchy and slippy underfoot. I've just checked the temps at LJLA which is near me and it is 0c there, DP -1c, and they are expecting snow showers.... at the moment anyway!

The RainToday radar now shows what looks like rain/sleet heading our way. The BBC 24 weather report showed the snow clouds broken up and not delivering much in south Liverpool so I'm not expecting much in the morning.

I am, however prepared to be surprised.... :whistling:

Edited by LiverBird

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

theyre 1C in Llanfairfechan too...

Posted

its persistant, graupel/dandruff hard to even spot going past lamp post, can see it better going past my back door light. slight covering on the driveway in small patches, when you look at precipitype on NW radar shows areas of snow around but not over me....

pleasantly surprised anyway!!!

temp falling slowly now at 0.7c DP -1.4c

Posted

The band should be hitting me soon.

Its chugging up now, its very slow, could be the sheer fact its not going to move much that might cause us problems, rather than the heavyness of what falls.

Posted

The band should be hitting me soon.

Fingers crossed for you! You are just across the river from me so hopefully one of the times when I get up in the night and check out the window because I can't sleep in anticipation, I'll see some snow!

Night all.