Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I am wondering if it will actually snow at all, when its light like it looks, sometimes it just stays cloudy and doesnt do a thing, still if it does, it looks like a good several hours of it.

Fingers crossed for you! You are just across the river from me so hopefully one of the times when I get up in the night and check out the window because I can't sleep in anticipation, I'll see some snow!

Night all.

Problem with LJLA is that it very often gets the immediate conditions wrong, there have been many times the airport will report some type of condition that simply isnt happening, however baring in mind that their radius is what 10 miles at most for their metar? And that what the weather does in Liverpool, doesnt always 99% happen in south liverpool

some very recent nw radar images.

post-8049-12633446925328_thumb.png

post-8049-12633447009428_thumb.png

post-8049-12633448563828_thumb.png

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

its just started here, I would say it was sleet at the moment, rather than snow..

Posted

Tis not here yet, but surely not far behind you guys up here in Wigan.

Not even over the mersey yet

however on checking the radar recently I just noticed the snow seems to be prepping up and if it can make it this far, I think some heavy snow will be in the offing by me :)

post-8049-12633476366828_thumb.png

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Anyone still here??!! Can someone post the latest netweather screenshot of the current band please.

Im still alive, but not got access to the netweather radar :) It does look like a weak affair tho from metoffice/rainttoday radars

Posted

Anyone still here??!! Can someone post the latest netweather screenshot of the current band please.

There you go :)

post-8049-12633486765028_thumb.png

post-8049-12633487997528_thumb.png

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Thanks mate the band shold hit me in the next half an hour!

I wouldnt hold my breath just yet, it seems to have stalled a bit if you ask me. It was roughly where it is now about an hour and half ago

however to give you a much better idea of intensity..rather than the precip type.

The band as actually grown a fair bit.

when it hits us ill let you know whether it is is rain or snow then you'll get some idea of what you can expect.

I have also included the better resolution image of the intensity, those look to me to be quite perky showers.

post-8049-12633490599128_thumb.png

post-8049-12633493538228_thumb.png

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Latest nw radar images.

There is definitely a breeze ahead of this band as its getting close, and you can literally feel the chill in the breeze. The heaviest precip is over towards hale than it is to speke but if those intensity is right from the blue intensity image it will be interesting to say the least.

Still very very slow moving..which is a good thing because otherwise there is a good chance of warmer air under cutting and producing rain / sleet..so far its all snow.

Also included is the updated metar from Liverpool Airport:

EGGP 122305Z 1300/1324 11012KT 9999 BKN015 TEMPO 1300/1302 11015G25KT 8000 BKN012 BECMG 1301/1304 3000 -SN BKN012 PROB40 TEMPO 1304/1321 1200 SN BKN004 BECMG 1321/1324 17003KT PROB40 TEMPO 1321/1324 BKN008

Forecast valid from 13 at 00 UTC to 13 at 24 UTC

Becoming

from 13 at 01 UTC to 13 at 04 UTC Visibility 3000 m, Broken clouds at a height of 1200 ft, light snow Probability 40% :

Temporary

from 13 at 04 UTC to 13 at 21 UTC Visibility 1200 m, Broken clouds at a height of 400 ft, snow

Becoming

from 13 at 21 UTC to 13 at 24 UTC Wind 3 mph from south Probability 40% :

Temporary

from 13 at 21 UTC to 13 at 24 UTC Broken clouds at a height of 800 ft

The latest radar is stuck at 2.35am 0.o

post-8049-12633501258428_thumb.png

post-8049-12633501359328_thumb.png

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

The Northwest(Cheshire) is now in the Orange on the Met office website!!!!

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

I have a feeling they will change again in the next few hours, depending on what happens further north of Cheshire. I think its going to be a nowcasting senario, mereseyside should see some snow out of this eventually, i would imagen, or sleet or rain, depending on gods.

Posted

What do you think Macclesfield will get?

Light snow is what I think you will get.

The radar from the met is buggered to say the least.

I have a feeling they will change again in the next few hours, depending on what happens further north of Cheshire. I think its going to be a nowcasting senario, mereseyside should see some snow out of this eventually, i would imagen, or sleet or rain, depending on gods.

As far as I am aware we where in the orange from a while back wherent we?

Posted

Light snow is what I think you will get.

The radar from the met is buggered to say the least.

As far as I am aware we where in the orange from a while back wherent we?

Nope we was in The Yellow up till 02.40am this Morning when they updated it.

The Warning is out till 18.00Hrs today.

How many hours of Snow could we get?

Posted

This is very slow moving, so there is good potential for all day if you ask me with the possibility of it stalling over us. This is why the likes of the Liverpool Airport have forecasted snow for a period of 24 hours...also have a peak at the intensity at the back end of the band..down in cornwall..pretty much convinced with the cold air still embedded to a degree we could see some heavy snow from it.

Take for example now, the band as pretty much not moved at all now for almost 2 hours..its sitting right where it was back then, with a small tendral of an arm reaching almost to Liverpool Airport.

It's netweather's radar that hasn't updated since 235am which still is the case.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

potential for lots of light snow, its the ammount of snow thats key here rather than how heavy it is falling from the sky. I still think Merseyside will get a warning at some point, depending on how far this front moves.

potential for lots of light snow, its the ammount of snow thats key here rather than how heavy it is falling from the sky. I still think Merseyside will get a warning at some point, depending on how far this front moves.

This reminds me of how this cold spell began with 2 fronts stalling over our region before stracking south. If you look close we now have in affect 2 bands and their stalling but tracking north. Maybe just a pointless observation but i thought it was a nice 'end' to a lovely cold spell.

Edited by gearbox1001

Posted

I think the meto are under the impression it will stall over cheshire, then gradually fizzle out, being replaced by rain, with the outer edge of this snow band being nothing but light rain / sleet beyond the airport. Time will tell, but it looks like its stopped it north eastward momentum for the time being...2 hours is a long time without moving anywhere.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

I think the meto are under the impression it will stall over cheshire, then gradually fizzle out, being replaced by rain, with the outer edge of this snow band being nothing but light rain / sleet beyond the airport. Time will tell, but it looks like its stopped it north eastward momentum for the time being...2 hours is a long time without moving anywhere.

Maybe it wont come anymore North now(i hope it keeps moving? but could that happen??

Edited by stoke weather watch

Posted

Maybe it wont come anymore North now(i hope it keeps moving? but could that happen??

Its so slow moving, that its hard to see it..its probably making less than a mile an hour progress..it certainly looks like it to me. Though saying that we need the netweather radar working again...its broken

Just got a phone call from a friend in Garston Village, he is telling me he has very light snow...however here its yet to cross the mersey to me lol

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Its so slow moving, that its hard to see it..its probably making less than a mile an hour progress..it certainly looks like it to me. Though saying that we need the netweather radar working again...its broken

Just got a phone call from a friend in Garston Village, he is telling me he has very light snow...however here its yet to cross the mersey to me lol

on the Rain Today website its showing really good on there.