Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

The snow petered out around 7pm here and we have had none since, quite surprised to see reports of snow still falling in coastal parts to the south. Chance that we may catch a bit more overnight, I won't be surprised if we wake up to an inch or so.

One thing for sure is that is it is going to be exceptionally icy tomorrow morning. Temps are going to struggle to get much above freezing, so the ice will linger all day in many parts.

Posted

Im really pleased with the snow today an inch in most places but on my garden i have measured 2 inches! Shame the thaw will set in first thing tomorrow cray.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

im about 12 miles away in high harrington, had about 1 inch of snow and thats the most since the cold spell began as i normally live under a snow dome and miss it all!!

I am aghast to find you are whining and complaining of so called "snow domes"....what is on your doorstep....???

Ennerdale? Wasdale? or heaven forbid Borrowdale...! I have walked through blizzards in all of these Cumbrian gems involving far too much travel from good old Lancassshhhiiire - if you are well equipped its out there for you if you cant be arsed wanting the right conditions stay at the coast because thats where you are...

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

Snowed here from 8-5 today and accumulated about 1cm :wallbash:

Currently in a shower of quite heavy snow with flakes of upto 50p size - probably be gone in 10 mins.

Shame it wasn't the other way around.

Current temp 1.1c and dp of 0.7c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

well much to my amazment i have woken to around 2 inch of snow now, this is the most ive had since 2005 or earlier!!!

some pictures ive just taken, and now i can say i never missed out on the snow this cold spell :good:

and still snowing lightly.

temp -0.5c DP -1.4c

I am aghast to find you are whining and complaining of so called "snow domes"....what is on your doorstep....???

Ennerdale? Wasdale? or heaven forbid Borrowdale...! I have walked through blizzards in all of these Cumbrian gems involving far too much travel from good old Lancassshhhiiire - if you are well equipped its out there for you if you cant be arsed wanting the right conditions stay at the coast because thats where you are...

but its hardly the same as watching snow falling out of your window at home, and actually yes i was out in the hills on saturday around loweswater aand was walking in 3 ft drifts..

post-9615-12634577008228_thumb.jpg

post-9615-12634577757728_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

i have woken up to 1inch which is the most i have had this coldspell lolcrazy.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Got about an inch of snow yesterday. It snowed 5am till 9pm!

Posted

i have woken up to 1inch which is the most i have had this coldspell lolcrazy.gif

When the lists of snowless locations get discussed the usual suspects tend to get trotted out, Cornwall, South Devon/Dorset, Scilly Isles, Singapore and so on but I think the west coast of Cumbria has got to be up there. I mean, even coastal areas of Lancashire have had snow both before and after Christmas from this cold spell. When I was up home for Christmas there was no snow west of roughly Frizington/Cleator Moor, this happens regularly too, I got loads of bonus days off school when the poor souls of Cleator Moor and Whitehaven didnt. Must drive you crackers. When they had that satelite picture in all the papers last week of "Frozen Britain" I was amused to see the little strip of green around Workington and Whitehaven.

Edited by trickydicky

Posted

When the lists of snowless locations get discussed the usual suspects tend to get trotted out, Cornwall, South Devon/Dorset, Scilly Isles, Singapore and so on but I think the west coast of Cumbria has got to be up there. I mean, even coastal areas of Lancashire have had snow both before and after Christmas from this cold spell. When I was up home for Christmas there was no snow west of roughly Frizington/Cleator Moor, this happens regularly too, I got loads of bonus days off school when the poor souls of Cleator Moor and Whitehaven didnt. Must drive you crackers. When they had that satelite picture in all the papers last week of "Frozen Britain" I was amused to see the little strip of green around Workington and Whitehaven.

Ha, i have printed a high resolution photo of that satellite picture of frozen Britain, even Blackpool shows white, now awaiting to frame it. Sad innit!!! Woke up to a covering here this morning, it must of snowed (very very lightly) from 10am till past midnight here yesterday, but didn't even start to stick until after dark. Now it has all

but gone after a slow thaw, i think that's it for us until the next cold spell, even then we will be lucky to get some as Blackpool doesn't normally fare well with snow. Never mind, have got to be happy with what we have had!!

Posted

We had a light dusting here in Burnley last night,this morning the thaw is continuing and actual a nice day,sunshine is making an appearance from time to time,looks like the end of the current cold spell in east lancs!!

Temp 2.1

Dp 0.4

Wind 2 mph S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

the snow is melting and its now RAINING!!wallbash.gif

Posted

Hi Guys

Just to let you know the Regional Threads will be Closed at around Midnight tonight and a General Cold Spell Discussion for the Whole Uk Will be Opened at the same time.

Regards

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

snow melting very fast now, it was good while it lasted but it will be nice to get back to normal, with no icy roads and snowed up lanes etc to fight with!!!

nows the worry is heavy rain + snow melt = floods with gales, severe in places. :)

Posted

Tip: click inside this box to load the editorAlittle Snow/Slightly Milder, With Heavy Rain

Well many areas of the UK seen some heavy snowfall last night, it was all thanks to an Atlantic system that tried to move in. As it moved in from the South-West and bumped into the colder air we seen snow across the South-West/Wales/Central England and parts of North-West England. This system has now weakened and is currently bringing light patchy snow to Northern England and later Scotland, where snow could be alittle heavy over hills. Amount will be very little in these areas though, with the hills seeing alittle more.

For the rest of England and Wales it will be a calm night, with freezing fog becoming a problem for the South and perhaps Wales. Light showers will effect Eastern England at times, however these are likely to be rain. However the real risk for tonight will be the ice where snow/sleet/rain has fallen or thawed.

Tomorrow will see any snow across the far North of England and Scotland fizzle, leaving a damp and cold feel across much of the UK. With sunshine really limited. Light rain/sleet showers may effect Eastern areas of England, with rain showers towards Ireland. Temperatures will still be on the chilly side, feeling alittle milder the further South you go.

Friday will see another Atlantic system move in bringing rain to Ireland/Wales/Central England/Northern England/Eastern England and Scotland. This is likely to be heavy, this will cause a thaw with maybe a small risk of localized flooding in places. There could be some hill snow for Scotland and the far North of England. Into the weekend and Saturday will see another Atlantic system with heavy rain spreading across all parts, maybe some sleet and snow on the leading edge. However i feel this will be limited for the hills. Sunday will be a drier day. Where ever you are it will feel slightly milder, but by no means tropical :)

Into next week and another cold spell could be on the cards. Keep reading for more details....

Posted

Hi Guys

Just to let you know the Regional Threads will be Closed at around Midnight tonight and a General Cold Spell Discussion for the Whole Uk Will be Opened at the same time.

Regards

Paul S

Looks like the end of the cold spell is "official" now.

Thanks for a good read over the last few weeks. I've enjoyed everyone's predictions and joy/dispair as rain/sleet/snow/cloud/ sun etc moved over us.

Been a real winter spell here, just north of Bury, 2 days of "Irish Sea streamers" with thunder snow to boot, were hard to beat, but last Tuesday and the super blue sky Arctic days that followed, probably did beat it. Lots of other small snow falls since 17th December too, and the snow never managed to entirely melt (although it did go mostly green for a day or so before the 2nd Jan snow).

Still a deep cover of slowly thawing snow...

Here's to the next cold spell!!

Edited by Maz

Posted

I will say that the cold spell is over when all the snow is gone. Warmest day today here since the 17th of December 2009, maximum of 4.1c.

Edited by John_T

Posted

Well guys it's been an absolute blast reading and participating in the regional threads these last few weeks! drinks.gif

Brilliant cold spell, one to be remembered for a long time.

Still lots of chances left before winter is out so here's to the next lot (fingers crossed) see you in there!!!!