Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Yeah......this snow watch has been superb and informative thanks to you guys. (my first time here)

See you when the next cold spell arrives.

Posted

Yes its been great sharing the fun with other weather fans.

The best winter here and on NW ever i think.

We'll do well to better it in the coming years!

cheers everyone.

:lol:

BTW i just close my curtains when the thaw sets in that way its not to stressful.

:yahoo:

I have to say I have enjoyed this forum board too this year, reading all the comments from across the North West, the anticipation, the disappointments then the joy when we finally got snow! The photos brought it all to life. Thank you to those of you who are experts for your patience with us amateurs! I've learned a lot!

Here's to the next 'cold spell'!

Posted

-2 outside and I still have full snow cover (what thaw!). That will make it 14 consecutive, and 27 out of the last 30, Met Office standard snow days. Pretty impressive stuff, its not as if I have any sort of altitude and I'm not that far from the sea. Best spell of snow and cold in my lifetime/memory, its a pity it will be going tomorrow but everything has to end I suppose. Here's to a swift return of the cold and a truly memorable winter!

Posted

The thaw is setting in, even for those with snow cover, you can see the outer edges receding and level depths decreasing with each passing day. You can hear the drip, drip of thawing snow from the rootops and guttering through the day. The snow which is still in situ, has changed from it's virgin state of fluffy, soft whiteness, to now dirty, ice-hardened stiffness. Time for it too dissappear I think, but let's hope it's only a changing of the guard :unsure:

It's been a memorable two weeks, more for some - but as far as widespread coverage for the North West and this regional thread, let's stick to two weeks.

Hopefully this will just be an interval - with the second half proving to be even more eventfull that what's gone before. We might be in for a mild run of westerlies, but I have a feeling, this winter is far from over.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

Okey Dokey!

Have spoken with the powers that be................and

Tomorrow there will be a New Sub Forum above this one near where the Snow Reports Live called "Regional Threads" and all the Regionals are going to be moved there and stay put for the winter, so this thread will be kept open until tomorrow when it will be moved into it's new home!

Regards

Paul S

Posted

Managed to see some further light snowfall last night to give about an inch cover this morning with further flurries so yet another snow Met day, I've lost count how many we have had, we've easily beaten last year, and are probably close to rivalling our last snowy winter in 95/96 for snow days and we are only just approaching the half way stage.. great stuff..

Its been another cold day with temps scraping up to 2 degrees only just, with the low cloud it has been a very raw day.

My car park is still full of ice, has been since 17th dec, we haven't quite managed to hold onto snow cover since the 17th dec, we lost it at New Year, the 2nd and 3rd Jan saw it dissapear, still if you discount these days some spots have seen nearly 4 weeks with snow cover. Impressive stuff.

Sharp eyes may see a few snowflakes in the region tomorrow morning before it quickly turns to rain, however, the Pennines and Lakeland Hills are likely to get a further pasting with freezing levels still fairly low over the Pennines especially.

If anything there is greater chance of some low level snow on Saturday in Pennine areas. It will be interesting to see whether the local hills around 400m are devoid of snow by Sunday - a good chance I think, but above 700m I imagine the higher fells will keep the snow cover.

Looking forward to the reopening of a new thread when the next batch of very cold weather descends on us, hopefully not too long to wait..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Hi guys,

Just a quick post to say how much I have enjoyed the recent cold and esp snow here in the north-west, and how sharing it with like-minded folk has been a pleasure. I have changed my picture to the radar from last Tues because it was a day I'll not forget for a good while. Hopefully before long there will be more of the white stuff for us to share in. There just might be a major battleground scenario a la Feb '96 in a week or so (having looked at models and the model discussion thread, but its to precious to even mention!) Whoops I just did. :rolleyes:

Edited by snowdrifter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!!!

yup. I echo the same thoughts as many of you here - and I've been delighted to find that there are many people out there that get just as excited as me when the odds of some snow increase...reassuring to know there are more nutters out there mwah hah ha ... :rolleyes:

look forward to getting back here more, thanks for sharing.

X

Posted

Okey Dokey!

Have spoken with the powers that be................and

Tomorrow there will be a New Sub Forum above this one near where the Snow Reports Live called "Regional Threads" and all the Regionals are going to be moved there and stay put for the winter, so this thread will be kept open until tomorrow when it will be moved into it's new home!

Regards

Paul S

Thanks Paul! I was filling up here, reading all the goodbye messages.... :yahoo: And I'm still hopeful of more snow this winter! :rolleyes:

Edited by LiverBird

Posted
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool

Reading all them good byes i could here Vera Lyn singing we-el meet again don't know when.Its been great the last few weeks hope its not too long till the next cold spell ,does anyone know what the forecast for this area is tomorrow as i have a event planed and i am thinking the weather will be wet and windy can anyone confirm this cheers.drinks.gif

Posted

What do NW members make of the Met Office spin machine giving themselves a tick for getting the snow amounts right for the 5th/6th January event?

It was 15cm here and with all due respect to the guys down south but it was far more disruptive here in population terms as the Greater Manchester conurbation was virtually ground to a halt.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

Reading all them good byes i could here Vera Lyn singing we-el meet again don't know when.Its been great the last few weeks hope its not too long till the next cold spell ,does anyone know what the forecast for this area is tomorrow as i have a event planed and i am thinking the weather will be wet and windy can anyone confirm this cheers.drinks.gif

I am sorry to say that is what the forecast suggests for this area. Rain for much of the day and strong winds. Rather cold, too. Sunny for the big match against Arsenal though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Heavy rain here today, goodbye cold spell! It's strange but it seems ages since we last had rain rather than snow and I think it's quite likely that since Dec 17th we've had more days of snow than rain which is quite a feat really!

Posted

Hi,

Does anyone know weather Liverpool got lying snow cover during the December 2005 spell I was looking at the weather archives for Liverpool Airport and snow is recorded as falling on December 29th with a maximum temperature of 0 degrees and a low of -6 which might imply at least some snow cover. And also did we get falling/lying snow in December 2004 which brought some places a white Christmas I think I do remember a Christmas day with snow on the ground but was it then?

Luke

Posted

You know its been a real joy to have our old proper winter friend. Its been 40+ years since we last him round. It will be a sad day when our friend has to leave. When we do say our final goodbye, after our final hug and embrace of cold, it will be with a tear that i wave goodbye, for deep down i fear, that i will not see our friend again..... for another 40 year. And so it will be that 2010 was a very good year. Heres to the memories and the times we have had.

Posted

Nasty conditions driving to work this morning, lot's of black ice caused by freezing rain... this happened not far from were I live... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/8460769.stm Lots of comments about who's responsible, some having a go at the council for not gritting, but many advising it was the Highways Agency who cover roads like this.

Surface water sure to be a problem over the weekend, as the thaw sets in.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

Just popped out with the dogs, its 4.5C but to be honest it feels so different to the last 4 weeks it could be 24.5C. That dank, heavy, moist Atlantic wind feels like it wants to hug you rather than go through you, it has no nip in it. The Great December 09-January 10 cold snap is officially over. cray.gif

Posted

Damn it's hot! For the first time this year I went outside comfortably wearing one pair of trousers and one pair of socks.

Still some snow and ice patches in the park and on quiet side streets. Does that count as another day with lying snow? <_<

Posted

We had some lying wet snow for a few hours before milder air set in.

We had a White Christmas in 2004.

Hi,

I am interested on the dates of snow events in the past in my neck of the woods (South Liverpool) - in addition did we get anything in February 1994 as far as lying snow is concerned I am sure we did then because their was snow when I was at school at the time how much did we get then. And did we get some snow during December 1995 as well? Any more snow events you can remember?

Luke

Posted

We had some lying wet snow for a few hours before milder air set in.

We had a White Christmas in 2004.

Hi,

I am interested on the dates of snow events in the past in my neck of the woods (South Liverpool) - in addition did we get anything in February 1994 as far as lying snow is concerned I am sure we did then because their was snow when I was at school at the time how much did we get then. And did we get some snow during December 1995 as well? Any more snow events you can remember?

Luke

I'm a fair distance from you, however, I remember some light snowfalls in this area on the 20th, Christmas Eve and 27th Dec 95, New Years Eve 95 saw freezing rain.

As for Feb 94, mid Feb saw a cold easterly and lots of snow in the east, I imagine some showers will have transferred to liverpool. However, between the 20th-24 we saw two big snofalls, about a foot on the 20th and then a few more inches on the 24th, these were caused by fronts from the west crashing into cold air I seem to remember. I suspect liverpool will have seen a bot of snow though not to the same extent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

well its 7.6c here and it feels positively tropical in comparison to what we have been use to this winter!!

gale force SE wind rattling round the house, not used to that noise either!!

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ rough night in prospect with the strongest winds around 0000-0300

i wonder what else winter 09/10 can bring for us...

Edited by james12

Posted

We had some very heavy sleet first thing this morning. Listening to the radio, they were saying the A53 Leek-Buxton road was open! I was thinking, if it's sleeting here, what must it be like 1,000 ft higher up?

Anyhoo, our small & long lasting snow cover is gone. I was amazed how much was lost between getting home from work at 4PM & going out at 7. The path was covered in ice at 4, but by 7 it was all gone.

I suppose4 those of you further north who had 10-15 cms last weeki are still holding on to some & good luck to you!

Posted

We had some very heavy sleet first thing this morning. Listening to the radio, they were saying the A53 Leek-Buxton road was open! I was thinking, if it's sleeting here, what must it be like 1,000 ft higher up?

Anyhoo, our small & long lasting snow cover is gone. I was amazed how much was lost between getting home from work at 4PM & going out at 7. The path was covered in ice at 4, but by 7 it was all gone.

I suppose4 those of you further north who had 10-15 cms last weeki are still holding on to some & good luck to you!

All our snow has gone from here now, washed away by yesterday's drizzle and higher temperatures. Has anyone seen confirmation of another cold snap yet?