Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

on the Rain Today website its showing really good on there.

alas its not crossed the mersey to me yet :closedeyes: and I got a bad feeling about this, rewinding the broke radar its pretty clear the front as stalled over north wales and the mersey border, there is a tendral of snow reaching liverpool, albeit convective in nature imo. I doubt we'll see anything. I think it will pay to be on the coast or close to it such as crosby and southport, blackpool to catch those rogue showers, further inland and across the mersey, I starting to think there will be no progress..due to it now stalling.

altho the rain today radar shows it locally across the mersey..0.o

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

It hasn't completely stalled - just before I had no snow at all. You shouldn't have to wait too long.

Or try checking the nearest lamp-post a bit harder... :closedeyes:

Posted

It hasn't completely stalled - just before I had no snow at all. You shouldn't have to wait too long.

Or try checking the nearest lamp-post a bit harder... :closedeyes:

We got a white light in the back garden, so by looking out the window or door you can see if its snowing or not, its not doing anything at the moment. If you check on the radar, its breaking up a bit too..your get the tendrals of the leading edge of the snow band that is breaking up as it hits the welsh mountains.

also on further scrutiny of the map, its showing signs elsewhere its fragmenting too.

over my area the clouds are pretty much broken, which is probably why it isnt snowing.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Just to confirm I have rechecked outside, and we do have very light snow. The road is getting a slight covering, and the outside walls are whitish.

EDIT: we now have moderate snow fallin

EDIT: 5.50am

Current Temp: -1.0C

Dew Point -1.2C

Current Conditions: Light occassionally Moderate snowfall. Measured precip is 1CM its been snowing now for a while. Wet surfaces still not snow covered entirely yet. However the temp has dropped quite a bit since the snow arrived. I measured a -2C temp drop in a short period of time, along with a -2C dewpoint drop.

Forecast. The snow definitely appears to be prepping up a bit once it hit the north wales mountains. There where great big holes in the snow band from fragmentation, however as they hit the cheshire border it reintensifies quite a bit..certainly looks set for much of today being a snowbound one, albeit on the light side. Since this band is so slow moving, I can imagine even though its light it will accumulate pretty well over the time period.

new metar from Liverpool airport going for snow for the day.

Temporary

from 13 at 06 UTC to 13 at 24 UTC, Visibility 3937 ft, Broken clouds at a height of 200 ft, snow.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Well after the 'big thaw' and thinking the ground was way too wet, I've woken to a nice covering everywhere, approx 1cm, maybe a fraction less. Very suprised tbh. Nice to see it kinda stuck overhead too :drinks: although it's not snowing at the moment.

Edited by Louise

Posted

Well after the 'big thaw' and thinking the ground was way too wet, I've woken to a nice covering everywhere, approx 1cm, maybe a fraction less. Very suprised tbh. Nice to see it kinda stuck overhead too :cold: although it's not snowing at the moment.

It probably is, but its very light :rofl:

I have 1CM still. Even tho the rain today radar as it breaking up over the ne part of the mersey (Hale side) its still snowing very very lightly.

despite a tendral moving ever so slightly towards Warrington, it definitely looks like its retreating back towards the cheshire border..in actual fact I am convinced its stalled. Its not made very much progress if any once it got to the mersey.

Looks like some convection is going on too once it reaches liverpool, the heavier precip wants to move in following the mersey...i hope it does :)

This stuff is hard to see by streetlights, because its a very fine light snow falling..its not really making any accumulation, and hasn't for the past hour.

Also its readily fragmenting quite a bit on its eastern flank, while on its western flank its looking good for coasts to get some snow..very strange how this is working out.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Got about 3cm here but it isisnt snowing at the moment, I have looked at raintoday and the band is right over Merseyside right now.

Posted

Got about 3cm here but it isisnt snowing at the moment, I have looked at raintoday and the band is right over Merseyside right now.

Its going to be hard to see, because its very very fine light snow. Its been snowing here non stop since 4.55am..I will have to check measurements again in another half hour.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Got a lovely suprise 1cm of snow here! Judging by how it's settled on cars, the flakes were big. Can't see where the flakes came from as i've just looked back from 5am on the NW radar, it shows nothing but the lighest blue on the key!

Posted

Got a lovely suprise 1cm of snow here! Judging by how it's settled on cars, the flakes were big. Can't see where the flakes came from as i've just looked back from 5am on the NW radar, it shows nothing but the lighest blue on the key!

Its been very light snow, and its still snowing just very difficult to see..i can see it still in the halogen white light in the garden, its very fine stuff and as been since it started.

From this latest image, its been with us since 5am..its just ebbed and flowed and picked up a bit of intensity from the irish sea

post-8049-12633709343828_thumb.png

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Its been very light snow, and its still snowing just very difficult to see..i can see it still in the halogen white light in the garden, its very fine stuff and as been since it started.

Is it due to pep up?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Cripes, nothing at all in Sale when I left the house at 730am and it's not as if Hale is far from where I live...I see that Manc Airport has gone to 0 last night, makes a change of the 1-2 amplitude whistling.gif

This mild interlude is going the way of the december one, isn't it?

Posted

Started very lightly snowing here, Not expecting much more but it looks beautifull outside.

Edited by thewirral

Posted

Is it due to pep up?

There is another band of slightly pepped up snow, but to be honest I cant see it get any heavier...when they said light snow they meant it. Just tiny little flakes.

Cripes, nothing at all in Sale when I left the house at 730am and it's not as if Hale is far from where I live...I see that Manc Airport has gone to 0 last night, makes a change of the 1-2 amplitude whistling.gif

This mild interlude is going the way of the december one, isn't it?

This band of snow has been reluctant to move from where it is currently..the band as crept forward 5 miles and then shrunk back again, been doing this for a while, but right now it does seem to be slowly moving north east again..the precip is very fine stuff..blink and you will miss it unless your outside lol

Started very lightly snowing here, Not expecting much more but it looks beautifull outside.

Looks like there is a lot more coming, but like i said its just so fine its hard to see is all..and it kind of gains intensity from time to time..then just a very very light stuff.

Posted

A steady 0.4c here. Really want some pepping up of that band if we are to get sent home from school. :air_kiss:

Snow has just pepped up a little here.

The band has maintained it's intensity somewhat 20 miles south of Chester. Looks like it's coming our way.

Posted

A steady 0.4c here. Really want some pepping up of that band if we are to get sent home from school. :lol:

Snow has just pepped up a little here.

The band has maintained it's intensity somewhat 20 miles south of Chester. Looks like it's coming our way.

Have you seen the snowband on raintoday? its actually pivoting around manchester as opposed to going over it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Not reached here yet, really hope it does though as the temp is perfect! -0.7°C

Posted

We have 2cms now, it's been constantly falling for around 2hrs but the grains really are so tiny, and not a huge amount of them - haven't seen any proper flakes yet and probably won't due to the band only producing light precip. At least it's not sleet or rain though.

Edited by Louise

Posted

Not reached here yet, really hope it does though as the temp is perfect! -0.7°C

Hi all,

Judging by what everyone is saying and having not seen any radar charts it would apppear the band of snow is way south of Carlisle.somewhere around liverpool by the sounds of it.However we have had approx 2 cm when i awoke and it is now snowing again - HEAVILY. Very Strange.

Posted

No Snow falling here yet, but really dangerous black ice everywhere.

Still Snow on the ground since 17th December.

Edited by Chrissy

Posted

2.4CM and still very light snow

there is a bit more prepping in the snow around chester, it just as to get here..its a shame the ummph was knocked out of it over south wales and dartmoor.

There is a very intense band of what ever just to the north west of scilly isles

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Currently at work in Manchester, I don't think I'll have to worry too much about getting back to Oldham later tonight. Snowy band looks like it's disintergrating. No snow here and quite a rapid thaw when you get into Manchester city centre compared to what we still have lying in Oldham.