Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

-6.4C and the first time I have seen lying snow on the ground for the 1st of February.

Can you post up an updated "league" table for your Manchester winter index Mr Data?

I wanted to see, with a month of winter to go, where the winter is ranking here.

Also I noticed yesterday the value was 148 when a few days before it had been 150.

Presumably then, the index value can go down or did I make a mistake?

What conditions cause a drop in the index calculation, is it purely temperature?

Thanks

Chris

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Temperature just took an impressive dive during a very light rain shower - 5.1c to 3.9c in a matter of 7-10 minutes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Rain showers occasionally, and overnight, however the temperature is 5.9C, the overnight minimum was 1C, I'm surprised at the difference between parts of the region

BT, I see your signature shows your low this winter is -7.3C - is that in your space where your thermometer is. I imagine your real minimum would have been about -10C, especially given Raby Mere (Wirral) was -9C and Garston (near you) was -13C

Posted

Rain showers occasionally, and overnight, however the temperature is 5.9C, the overnight minimum was 1C, I'm surprised at the difference between parts of the region

BT, I see your signature shows your low this winter is -7.3C - is that in your space where your thermometer is. I imagine your real minimum would have been about -10C, especially given Raby Mere (Wirral) was -9C and Garston (near you) was -13C

That was out in the front sat on top of the car. The street isnt very wide and is surrounded by houses.

Never seen a temperature rise like that - 3.8c to 5.1c in a matter of 2-3 minutes!!!

Posted

Scrap that temp rise, my sensor was in the sun :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Looks like a short spell of snow tomorrow afternoon/evening as the weather front we have sweeps back N/Eastwards

tomorrow meto going for about 5cm over low ground and upto 12cm over high ground,perhaps 2-3hrs of moderate snow before

turning back to rain as the milder air pushes up from the south,something to watch ATM.

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

It looks unlikely the coast will benefit from anything, even tonight frost is unlikely here in the west.

Currently it's brightened up with some glimpses of sunshine, currently 9.4C so a balmy old day, very windy though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Just a quick update

latest from thomas s on the bbc at 1330 said 3 inches of snow not out of the question for the Manchester area tomorrow afternoon

Showed a temp of 3c after an overnight low of -1c might be on the wrong side of marginal but as ever the weather will do what it wants

so we will find out tomorrow,however northern parts of the region look set for a very heavy spell of snow,the down side though turning to rain

during the night,Thurs temps back up to 8c

C.S

Posted

Well that was rather a surprise, it's snowed in Bacup already, the cold air has arrived and things are freezing up. Roll on tomorrow!!

Shadowfax

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Well that was rather a surprise, it's snowed in Bacup already, the cold air has arrived and things are freezing up. Roll on tomorrow!!

Shadowfax

Yes it was quite surprising! I was sat in the Co-op car park and one minute it was pouring down with rain and like a flash it turned to big flakes! very heavy for a time too! Didn't stick very much, a little dusting on the grass in places but better than nothing, the unexected snow is always the best.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

It was like that this afternoon rain one second, then heavy snow and then clear skies. James its my night off did you have to mention the co-op.

lol! :drinks: sorry!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

I really hope it snows tommorow rolleyes.gif