Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I do hope not Caz, it's so lovely running around green fields.

It's been lovely here today, very little rain, blue sky. What's the weather like in Bristol? I have just been persuaded to go to Jesters tonight, the comedy club, anyone ever been?

I must stop posting on here like it's my own personal blog. lol.

:lol:

Posted

hello

i just looked at the met office and it said snow coming wed....is this right?? not 4 me to low down but 4 somerset area...

Hey, i have seen that too.. But from my understanding (and lurking in the model output thread) it's doubtful we will see anything.. its more towards the East and North East, fingers crossed though!

Posted

At the moment - slim

Dew points look too high for my liking in these parts...further NE towards yorkshire and further north dew points look perhaps just the right side of marginal for a time

But at this range all we have to go on is the GFS - the Met Office have a far broader range of output available to them

SK

cheers mate,

will have to keep my eye peeled in case something develops but like you say doubtful at present on low levels..

Got to be honest and say I cant wait for Spring instead of cold weather now.

:(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

A glimer of optimism on the model output thread for another cold spell in 10 days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Morning all

Just watched CountryFile forecast, after doing some stuff outdoors and saw snow on Thursday?!

Anyway, apparently it feels 'lovely in the sunshine with light south westerly winds' Ha! Its cloudy, winds from the SE and have a chill to them and it doesn't feel very nice when washing the BBQ down!

Anyway, to get over this, I'm going to the pub laugh.gif

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Last of the laying snow has melted this morning with only drifts ect left. cray.gifcray.gif

Garden looks exhausted though from that prolonged cold spell, lost alot of plants.

Model thread certainly looks optomistic this morning. dirol.gif

Posted

Yeah, we just have the piles from the ploughs etc. A day of near constant heavy rain yesterday put pay to that!

Just been through the MOD and had look at the models, and the hints are definately there.

Anyway, have a great Sunday all

Posted

It is an absolutely beautiful day here in TA6! Not too cold, blue skies, sunshine. Certainly too good a day to be sat in front of a laptop working. sad.gif

Enjoy the pub Matt.

More snow on its way? Surely not!

Edited by dancing daisy

Posted

Just been reading the Model Output Discussion thread...

Some are saying that there's not going to be another "really cold" spell, some are saying there could be (possibly in 10 days time)...

From what I can deduce, the latest runs are slightly more pointing towards another cold spell towards the end of Jan, but nothing concrete!

Has anyone got any idea on our chances of another cold/snowy/icey spell for the Westcountry???

Or is it rather unlikely? :lol:

Posted

Well, its only mid Jan, so you'd have to think it was odds on for at the least some more cold and possibly snowy weather between now and say mid March.

Posted

From the Model Output thread...

Um no it wasn't, remember we are talking about trends not details and on the 06z GFS the trend for

t192 and beyond was for northern blocking. This has just been repeated on the 12z GFS run and if this

is so then a pound to pinch of salt says we are just days away from another very cold spell of weather.

More promising, perhaps???

Would be nice if it actually came off!...

Posted

I think I will wait and see what Points West have to say in the morning. They have been spot on for my area in the last couple of weeks.

I am too exhausted to do my own faux forecasting at the moment, so I am going to leave it to the professionals. :good:

Posted

Well, its only mid Jan, so you'd have to think it was odds on for at the least some more cold and possibly snowy weather between now and say mid March.

Stands to reason we have another 8 weeks for a cold spell it's quite probable something wintery will come along.

Posted

Although not our area I thought I would show some photo's I took today near Abergavenny, I was surprised how much snow was still left at height, also the lake was still frozen, it brought home to me how cold that cold spell actualy was.

Wales10.jpg

Lake still frozen

Wales12.jpg

Looking towards the Brecon Beacons.

Wales14.jpg

Looking North East.

Posted

news 24 weather just said chance of heavy snow wed sday ...westcountry north :clap: .

Although not our area I thought I would show some photo's I took today near Abergavenny, I was surprised how much snow was still left at height, also the lake was still frozen, it brought home to me how cold that cold spell actualy was.

Wales10.jpg

Lake still frozen

Wales12.jpg

Wales14.jpg

Looking North East.

nice pics :p lakes still frozen.

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

Hi EVERYONE.Today started off well and then I put my washing out !!!! It has been very showery today and the wind at one point was very chilly.

Be interesting to see what Wednesday brings I guess,although I'm not sure it will get this far down.In some ways I hope not.Schools have only really just got back to normal.And although I didn't fall over I've aggravated my already swollen achilles tendon becaue it was very icy out and about.

Sorry snow fans.:clap:

Posted

Awesome pictures Tribe! On a somewhat smaller scale, our pond is still frozen with a good inch or so.

Although lose around the edges.

Posted

news 24 weather just said chance of heavy snow wed sday ...westcountry north :D .

nice pics :) lakes still frozen.

Yes just heard the same thing,including lower levels for some heavy snow for a time

Posted

met office web site got us for snow wed. i've still got snow in places and pond still frozen

Wales10.jpg

Lake still frozen

Wales12.jpg

Wales14.jpg

Looking North East.

great pics,looks freezing up there

Posted

Cheers guys! Cheer me up whydon'tchya! cray.gif

From a purely selfish point of view, all of this snow nonsense makes my life incredibly difficult. Work will be an absolute 'mare and I have so much on at the moment I could really do without it. Walk a mile in my wellies etc...

Sorry to rain on your parades. Yes, I am officially snow Scrooge and I will leave this thread right now!

But, will obviously continue lurking and cussing and posting when the urge takes me. :(

Posted

Hi all.

Well its alot different than weve been used to over the last few weeks as milder air has now been established over most of uk but real watch is now whether it will snow wednesday? I think high ground in are region possible sleet elsewhere, apart from devon and cornwall maybe but i dont really know anyone got any thoughts on this?

Was a nice day here today, allthough a heavy shower came along mid afternoon but brightened up along with a double rainbow which i have not seen in a while :(

Posted

We should start to get a better idea tomorrow about wednesday as the NAE comes into range

Currently the GFS dew points way too high

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs608.gif

However, when you take a look at the lower resolution UKMO, you perhaps start to see where the Met Office are coming from....

U72-7.GIF?17-18

U72-580.GIF?17-18

Shame we cant see the dew points from it, but an interesting battle coming up. I dont think there was any clear cut winner at short range in the recent cold spell, however this time round there is obviously a clear divide in present short term modelling....this could be make or break for the GFS at short range and make people think twice about over-reliance on the model (largely due to the fact we get all its data for free)

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

Wow they are amazing photo's thank you.

I am missing the snow and the lampost watching!!!

Edited by textmum