Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Rapidly accelerated thaw today - thankfully!

It was very messy here last 36 hours - horrible filthy slush and thinning snow cover - hope it's all gone by tom.

Then, give us another cold, snowy spell in a week's time.rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Re next week, one minute it looks odds on for a coldish spell for a time, then its blown away and then the GFS and UKMO 12zs today say yes again.

GFS by 240hrs has under -10 850's again.

I think it is not yet decided.

:drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Re next week, one minute it looks odds on for a coldish spell for a time, then its blown away and then the GFS and UKMO 12zs today say yes again.

GFS by 240hrs has under -10 850's again.

I think it is not yet decided.

:drinks:

The models appear to be all over the place at the moment, I do have a feeling something is afoot and the models can't get a grip on what.

Mind you that could work either way.

Fingers and Toes crossed it's something special.

Posted

Already frustrated now about the lack of snow left due to a thaw.Hopefully it wont be week after week of atlantic systems moving west to east like the norm.Today been a really annoying day watching all my 4 inches of snow melt at a rapid rate actually.Still i ll remain hopefull the cold will be back sooner rather than later

On another note does anyone else prefer winter rather than summer im starting to feel as though im the only one out there which do.I detest the summer with a passion but when winter comes round i feel like some big kid.I think ive always been the same even when i was a tot i liked the snow as the majority of pics taken when i was young were pics of me in snow with little wellys on lol.Its strange what odd looks u get when u tell people u prefer winter rather than summer

Edited by yipikiaye

Posted

Just think how many times in recent years when we've been sat at this point in time hoping the previous weeks of wet and mild weather don't continue and then in Feb we get some snow and cold.

Well this year we haven't had the weeks of wet and mild, and we still have Feb/March to go!

All looking good to me.

Posted

Just think how many times in recent years when we've been sat at this point in time hoping the previous weeks of wet and mild weather don't continue and then in Feb we get some snow and cold.

Well this year we haven't had the weeks of wet and mild, and we still have Feb/March to go!

All looking good to me.

Weve barely seen temps above 5°C this month until now and its 7.3°C mildest day of the year so far so really im happy for a bit of milder weather just hope feb is cold again.

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
:whistling: Excellent news .Well all snow gone ,and now we have gusty winds to delight us.

Posted

Oooh hello! We are still going then. :)

The pub was boring so I thought I would come home and have a little lurk and it's all still going on.

All of our snow has gone, I am muchly pleased about this. Tomorrow's rain is putting me off my Bristol trip though. Cabot circus in the rain = not so much fun.

I am looking forward to the summer when I won't have anything to moan about! acute.gif

Posted

Oooh hello! We are still going then. smile.gif

The pub was boring so I thought I would come home and have a little lurk and it's all still going on.

All of our snow has gone, I am muchly pleased about this. Tomorrow's rain is putting me off my Bristol trip though. Cabot circus in the rain = not so much fun.

I am looking forward to the summer when I won't have anything to moan about! acute.gif

Yes indeed and here we are, thanks to Paul Sherman and the 'powers that be'. Excellent.

Ground still frozen when I walked the dogs this morning (and puddles of water on what is normally free draining soil), ground much softer this evening and fieldfares looking more cheerful!

Must get back to the models now as our local forecast in the news hints strongly at returning cold.

Maybe we shall have to wait a few weeks more until a reunion beach BBQ!!!

Edited by egret

Posted

haha a beach bbq sounds good i know just the place! Over the top of Sand Point theres a nice cove ;)

at least we would all have something in common :whistling:

on another note all the snows melted now temperatures hit 8.4 here! barmy! where is my shorts and t-shirt?

wasnt much fun on thursday walking in slushy snow on the ground in horrid just gets your shoes really wet!

:pardon:

Posted

The rain, its evil.

Most of the snow has gone, a few patches left, but thankfully so has the slush! On the downside, its dark, grey, wet and cold. Great.

Beach BBQ though, now we're talking!

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted

Steart beach would be great for a BBQ as well, I am biased though as it's close to me, so I can run away when I see how geeky you all are! rofl.gif

Not a lot of rain here, patchy blue sky and it is warm. Infact it feels tropical compared to the last few weeks. The heating is off, as are the layers of clothing... for now anyway. Instead of a girlie shopping day with cocktails, lunch and a bit of dressng up I will be back in my jeans, anorak and wellies, breaking my fingernails by helping my mate on her farm.

Oh for a day to put on some slap and act like a woman! :lol:

Posted

Steart beach would be great for a BBQ as well, I am biased though as it's close to me, so I can run away when I see how geeky you all are! rofl.gif

Not a lot of rain here, patchy blue sky and it is warm. Infact it feels tropical compared to the last few weeks. The heating is off, as are the layers of clothing... for now anyway. Instead of a girlie shopping day with cocktails, lunch and a bit of dressng up I will be back in my jeans, anorak and wellies, breaking my fingernails by helping my mate on her farm.

Oh for a day to put on some slap and act like a woman! biggrin.gif

Still raining here, normal service has resumed.

Still, least I might be able to get some stuff done this weekend! Tomorrow looks lovely!

At the moment I am sat waiting for an engineer to come out courtesy of Samsung who sent a letter saying the fridge freezer might be borked and could cause a fire when on auto defrost.

Needless to say he said 9-11 and he's still not here! But that said, the letter was sent back in November and still no fire :lol:

Posted

Great to see regional forum still up and running.Perhaps they know something we don't,are my eyes deceiving me or has the Met-office suddenly sprung up an advisory for next Wednesday for our areas of Possible snow 10cm . Is the mighty cold spell coming back for round 2?yahoo.gif

Posted

Morning All,

Very interesting to see the placement of the warnings from the Met Office - obviously UKMO and perhaps Arpege guidance is different?

From what I can make out its more central and eastern areas at risk from some sleet/snow....it would need a shift of around 50-75 miles to get the snow risk into the areas suggested by the warning, although of course the obvious exception to that rule is higher ground (above 200m or so)

In terms of looking ahead into february, well a very interesting El Nino forecast from the ECMWF

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/charts/seasonal/forecast/eurosip/nino_plumes_euro_public/

Given the synoptic setup its looking to me like a similar month in terms of temperature to feb '03

I'm sticking by the thoughts I published on another forum back in november for now, more particularly for the first half of february

It really becomes difficult at this stage to forecast February. It is dependant upon pressure across europe entirely. If we were to see some sort of siberian or, more likely in my opinion, scandinavian HP, the liklihood of another below average month is very likely. This should eventually propogate itself into a NEly or even Ely settled pattern. If this were to occur, with the Jet Stream running so close to the south of the UK, we would most likely see the potential for some channel low situatons, similar to those experienced last winter.

In fact I don't think it will prove too dissimilar to feb 09 - though the obvious advantage this time is the very cold weather we have already had across the UK - 0-10cm soil profiles still recording around -1 to 2c away from the immediate south

All still to play for if your not sick of the cold yet

Kind Regards

SK

Posted

whats the chance SK of this snowing at lower level's :lol:

South West England:

Bath + NE Somerset

Bournemouth

Bristol

Dorset

Gloucestershire

N Somerset

Poole

S Gloucestershire

Somerset

Swindon

Wiltshire

Heavy Snow Wed 20 Jan

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of England, Wales and southwest Scotland on Wednesday.

Outbreaks of rain are expected to turn increasingly to sleet or snow, especially over hills in central parts. There is a risk of significant accumulations, with perhaps locally 10cm leading to some disruption to travel.

Issued at: 1103 Sat 16 Jan

Edited by dogs32

Posted

whats the chance SK of this snowing at lower level's :lol:

At the moment - slim

Dew points look too high for my liking in these parts...further NE towards yorkshire and further north dew points look perhaps just the right side of marginal for a time

But at this range all we have to go on is the GFS - the Met Office have a far broader range of output available to them

SK

Posted

Think I prefered the slush to the pouring rain! Getting on for 40mm so far today! Why doesn't it do this when its snow? 40cm would of been rather preferable to this!

£77 for an Indian visa via a company or £40 and a trip to London (read stand in queues for hours) Decisions Decisions.

Temp hit the balmy heights of 7.9C today! Which is the warmest since sometime in in early December!

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

9.7C here. Feeling very mild compared to the past few weeks. Almost all the snow has melted, apart from in places where the snow was piled up.

I'm actually looking forward to some slightly milder weather now (preferably sunny). I'll be glad not to have to worry too much about ice and grit on the roads whilst cycling!

Another cold snap/spell would be good later in the season.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

I'm actually looking forward to some slightly milder weather now (preferably sunny). I'll be glad not to have to worry too much about ice and grit on the roads whilst cycling!

Another cold snap/spell would be good later in the season.

I feel the same, a couple of weeks of back to normal and then some more snow to finish off this winter.

Posted

Missing the glow of the snow already :lol: So warm today, had the windows open and even did some

spring cleaning. Just got to get a mild February out of the way and hopefully March will come in

like a lion and go out like a lamb with some good spring warmth :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow ..

hello

i just looked at the met office and it said snow coming wed....is this right?? not 4 me to low down but 4 somerset area...