Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

amazingly snowing again here too fine granules but quite steadilly, recovering car windscreensdrinks.gif had 75mm, 3" of fresh snow since early morn ,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Our school is open tomorrow. With all this snow turning to ice in places it will be fun. Worcs council supposed to be gritting now aswell.

Posted

A few tiny flakes falling down now but thats about it. Around 5 inches of snow now lying and what a fantastic cold spell this has been. Better than feb 2007 and feb 2009 for me. Currently -0.3C and icing over a treat which is very impressive due to the thick,100% cloud cover.

Im already mourning the end of the cold spell, feels like its the end of an era! What a fantastic month of weather anyhow!

Edit for pic... This was a field near me this morning, probably another 1cm on top afterwards...

post-8119-12634135700928_thumb.jpg

Edited by Albion Snowman

Posted

Helloooooo All!!!!!rolleyes.gif

Well it Snizzled all day in Loughborough and all day in Long Eaton too!!! still snizzling now!! although some of it was the more grainy light snow which did settle a bit, but not enough for a white outunsure.gif

Just wondering when our next lot of snow will be??!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Plenty of snowfall around today, over 12 hours of almost continuous albeit mainly light snow here. Just imagine if the block had been that bit further East, the Atlantic system would have rushed in quicker and then stalled here whilst maintaining heavy PPN !

yeah but still great, my generally favourite setup the east v west battle, with the cold air winning after the snow, but sadly the 2nd Atlantic attack ends the cold spell, I think on saturday the leading edge snow only for pennines

Posted

Plenty of snowfall around today, over 12 hours of almost continuous albeit mainly light snow here. Just imagine if the block had been that bit further East, the Atlantic system would have rushed in quicker and then stalled here whilst maintaining heavy PPN !

I take it you're not a Megson fan then, Ian? :D

I think overall this cold spell has been satisfactory for most of us, BUT with the notable exception of Derby and Nottingham.

Posted

yeah but still great, my generally favourite setup the east v west battle, with the cold air winning after the snow, but sadly the 2nd Atlantic attack ends the cold spell, I think on saturday the leading edge snow only for pennines

oh well, 15cm isnt bad to go out on IMBY, but im very pleased with this cold spell. a memorable one for especially the youngsters on here, we've had a decent first half to the winter. lets see what part 2 brings us, even if the likelihood is not quite as good as the first half :D

Posted

I think overall this cold spell has been satisfactory for most of us, BUT with the notable exception of Derby and Nottingham.

Indeed. We have about a 70% 'dusting' on the ground here. Nothing even measurable. Perhaps something to do with all the power stations around here :yahoo:

To be fair, it was snowing again around an hour a go, and with the surfaces frozen, it help with the dusting (would have been about 40% otherwise).

Its been good to see light snow for pretty much 12 hours or so today, but when you only get the above (where others from the same snow, less than 30 miles away get 1"+ of new snow) its more of a disappointment than a let down.

Heres to the next 3 day cold snap next week :yahoo::rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

I have to say this has indeed turned out to be a great cold spell (and with tommorrow and earlier next week, the cold and snow sure ain't going to give up without a battle).

What has been very interesting, though, is that since Mid-December, there's been some wintryness to many of the bands of precipitation that has flown by. That's like almost 4 weeks in a row worth of wintry weather, with some snow every week. And the last 8 days have been particularly amazing. With some colds wind and some very cold temperatures to accompany it, this may just be the greatest cold spell I've experienced along with one or two I had when I was very young.

Excluding tommorrow, I think this is the rating I would give to this chilly spell so far.

Snow: 82%

Temperature: 88%

Snow Cover: 90%

Low Pressure: 90%

Ice: 95%

Frost: 80%

Wind Chill: 75%

Time Span: TBR

Overall Rating: 91.2%

Posted

Today when i awoke the snow had been reduced to a few clumps amongst the grass, and a translucent pie crust of ice elsehwere.

However not long after i had set off for work some fine ice /snow crystals started falling form the sky, this continued throughout most of the day, and has left a covering of just over 1CM ontop of the half thawed stuff mentioned at the start of this post.

the result are some incredibly slippery roads and pavements.

One thing that this cold spell hasnt delivered is some deep snow, just a few light dustings giving no more than 1 inch ( 2.5cm) In most years this would be a good covering, especialy when taking into account the logevity, it hasnt been the usual heavy snow turning to rain scenario that were so used to.

So what next?

all the foracsts are saying milder, theres not a huge amount of snow on the ground, so the snow wont last long, then its back to almost normal temperatures for a bit.

After that who knows? its still early in the winter, and alot can still happen, maybe, just maybe we might see a deep covering of snow .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

I must admit, that most of the snowflakes that fell today were rather tiny, although dense at the same time.

Also, I came across some cool poetry from alijoe in the Wales Cold Spell Discussion and thought I might have a go myself...

"During the weekend the snow will go"

"This will make me feel so low"

"But have no fear"

"The snow will be here"

"But you'll have to wait till next week, though" cool.gif

Edited by Rainbow Snow