Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

Still snowing here but still not settling. Nothing on the radar though, and potentially, still have the second front to come through (although it now looks like its weakened).

Posted

cray.gif

well we may all be back in the same next week surely temps of 4-5 for a couple of days cnt be that bad

after the great spell of cold we have had!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Wow, after running the radar animation for the past half hour it really did die out rapidly, really quite incredible.

Ah well, school should be shut again tomorrow as the roads will be even worse in the morning.

Posted

still snowing here...been snowing since the early hours albeit lightly ..we've had roughly 3 inches so far on top of 3-4 inches from the other day :(

certainly been a memorable event so far this winter :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, thunderstorms, cold, snowy winters.

Ah well, school should be shut again tomorrow as the roads will be even worse in the morning.

No chance for me, I work in a school and we haven't had one day off! We battled into work earlier, 90% of staff got in an hour and a half late and had to leave normal time (1 and a half hours after students leave) Our head has 'Taught in Canada' and school closures are 'not on his agenda'!! lol

Posted

Well it looks like you lot in the West Midlands got the best of it again. No new covering of snow here in Nottingham and the light snow that is falling is getting lighter by the minute. All in all although we have had snow here in Nottingham during this present cold spell its been nothing of great significance. Certainly nothing special compared to other areas. I know some of you are fed up with the snow now but here in Nottingham im praying those Easterlies come off next week so it will finally be our turn for a good dumping of the white stuff

Posted

its sooo dangerous out there! just been for a walk! the roads and pavements have a top layer of snow and underneath there is complete ice! looking at this i dont think my boys schools will be open tomorrow cc_confused.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

fantastic here at home, and still snowing very lightly, a great cold spell, today id say just as good as feb 8-9th 07,

seems strange that my temp reached 2.6C, been snowing all day, 3 inch max, now 0.5C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

its sooo dangerous out there! just been for a walk! the roads and pavements have a top layer of snow and underneath there is complete ice! looking at this i dont think my boys schools will be open tomorrow cc_confused.gif

Some schools are already closed tomorrow!

Watch this list grow and grow! http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/cms/communications/emergency-alerts/school-closures-14th-jan-2010.aspx

Normally our school will have left a message on its website by now if it plans to open but they havent so either holding back for now or planning to announce a closure later which if happens usually comes after 6pm.

Posted

Snow stopped now, and surprisingly rather than starting to thaw its all drying out so probably going to be a very icy night.

Posted

Well it looks like you lot in the West Midlands got the best of it again. No new covering of snow here in Nottingham and the light snow that is falling is getting lighter by the minute. All in all although we have had snow here in Nottingham during this present cold spell its been nothing of great significance. Certainly nothing special compared to other areas. I know some of you are fed up with the snow now but here in Nottingham im praying those Easterlies come off next week so it will finally be our turn for a good dumping of the white stuff

Eh? It's not got much lighter in NG7! :winky: Still coming down, we've got a dusting on pavements and roads, but I stress, it's only a dusting! :winky:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Flippin eck, didn't realise it had snowed that much! I just went down the docs and a fresh 4cm has fell today and it stopped abour an hour or so ago and surfaces were freezing over from where they melted during the day like the road etc... and it's snowing lightly again and settling!

Posted

Yeah- the cold spell in Nottingham has been ok but with all the potential it has never really delivered a knock out punch!

The worst was the beginning of last week, when that band of snow moving down from the North which had the potential to give us a right good dumping suddenly split in 2 north of us missing Nottingham completely. Now that was annoying but just goes to show that even when something looks nailed on the weather can suddenly spring a surprice. As a confirmed snow lover living in Nottingham its sadly been just one disappointment after another on the snow front during this cold spell. However still plenty of the winter to go so fingers crossed Nottingham will fair better next time

Posted

Well there we have it...the final snowflake of this cold spell has fallen.

Its been pretty good. Better than February 2009 here by a long way.

So now we look forward to the thaw, some fog and possibly a bit of the wet and windies.

See you at the next cold spell!

...or in the first thunderstorm of the Spring..whichever comes first!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, thunderstorms, cold, snowy winters.

Funnily enough its still snowing here, Its very light 'snizzle :p It hits you like sand but its still accumulating! Not showing on the Radar though?!

Posted

Well it stopped snowing about 5pm, having done so non-stop since before 7am. Mostly it was very very light, but there were a couple of heavier bursts around 8.30am (which topped up the existing snow noticeably) and then again at 3-4pm (struggled to stick at first as went up to 2C before it arrived, eventually it dusted the cleared areas again though). Currently 6cm lying, up from 4 at 9am. Better than I dared hope for, has beaten Feb 2009 for depth now as well as persistence.

11 days of lying snow this month- compared to 10 for all the Januaries 2000-09 combined! 12 days this winter now equalled 96/7.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Im very supprised that know ones spotted them showers about to effect us coming off the irish sea , they are taking a direct route to the mids , rather than moving north east there moving directly west , in fact its developing into a streamer , and iv just had another nice snow snow shower for about 20min and its still snowing . Have a look at the met radar for yourself .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Snowing again here. :lol:

Posted

Snowing again here. :good:

Oh yeah, so it is! Very lightly though.

And look at the radar, its the tinest shower!