Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Lets not talk about football, The Super Saddlers (Walsall FC) are by far the best team in the Midlands..

Still slightly snowing.

Know that's what we like to see!!! One bad thing about this cold spell has been the lack of football i've been able to see, 5 games postponed running - im starting to get desperate.

Back on subject we have around 5CM here in my back garden, i was expecting rain tbh

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Still snowing lightly near Stafford, no further accumulations though (around 4cm) as a slight thaw is starting to set in....surface temp of 0.8C, dew point of 0C..The snow is very fine, grainy in appearance, in fact, the perfect definition of snizzle! :drinks:

Ditto.. although it's still snowing it's thawing at a faster rate.

Posted

Just shy of 3 inches fresh snowfall here in Halesowen. Still falling quite capably. According to what I think's happened, that's a whole 13 hours of snow today!

Although I don't expect it to last much longer.

Posted

Snowing quite heavily at the moment here. Will it ever end?!

Quite probably! However, the question is when... :lol:

I'll stop being Mystic Meg and just tell you all that this horrible fine snowy stuff continues to insult Nottingham with its presence.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Snow is now falling off the sides of cars. Is this due to the weight of the snow or because it has slightly melted? Probably both, but if there is any thaw it is barely noticeable. -0.1c here and snow is still falling!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Ditto.. although it's still snowing it's thawing at a faster rate.

Yep, there might and emphasize might, be in sting in the tail this evening, as some charts suggest some heavier precip to filter through the west midlands later on, whether this happens or whether its rain, snow or sleet is another question! :)

Posted

Just measured in the back garden in places that haven't been touched all week, and got around 7inches of snow. Not bad..... not bad at all.

Edited by tom_f123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

Yep, there might and emphasize might, be in sting in the tail this evening, as some charts suggest some heavier precip to filter through the west midlands later on, whether this happens or whether its rain, snow or sleet is another question! :)

I would wager that it would be snow. Possibly :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Just went measure the snow depth in my garden since it hasn't been touched there, and it was around 4.5" on a level surface and just about 6" on the grass. Had a walk around in it and my feet just sank into the snow...was quite fun. :)

Easily pleased :):)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I would wager that it would be snow. Possibly :)

On second thoughts, the heavier precip does seem to develop in the far north of our region, maybe north salops/staffs/cheshire...Oh well, time will tell

Posted

Just went measure the snow depth in my garden since it hasn't been touched there, and it was around 4.5" on a level surface and just about 6" on the grass. Had a walk around in it and my feet just sank into the snow...was quite fun. :) I can say this has been easily the best snowfall since April 2008, but at that time the snow melted during the day. So, it's definitely up there alongside February, 9 2007 in terms of persistent snow and depth though still around 2-3" off that event. Hasn't stopped snowing since it started early last night!

If only the snow we got last night happened a day after the snow on Tuesday, we would have been talking 7-8" of snow! I'm just amazed at how this winter has gone so far! Incredible!

Haha snap!

Just started snowing lightly again here.

Edited by tom_f123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

snowing here again. Lots of Warks schools that did open have closed at lunch.

Apart from my children's schools of course lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Looks like we could have a brief spell of heavy snow here before the band passes.

Posted

On second thoughts, the heavier precip does seem to develop in the far north of our region, maybe north salops/staffs/cheshire...Oh well, time will tell

If it does get to us I think snow is a possibility as temperatures will probably fall after dark. Cosford weather station is showing Temp +1ºC and Dew Point -1ºC which may explain why it's snowing and also thawing (... but I'm no expert).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

imminently or later on today?

Soon enough.

Heavier PPN at the back edge of the front has very quickly developed. Looks like it will stop for a bit and then perhaps some showers/another brief band to follow later. :)

Posted

Soon enough.

Heavier PPN at the back edge of the front has very quickly developed. Looks like it will stop for a bit and then perhaps some showers/another brief band to follow later. :)

Well spotted!...Yes, just had a look at the radar and it certainly has perked up to the SW of Brum, looks to be drifting slowly north :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

Soon enough.

I've just checked the radar - exciting!!! I'm trying to cut down on radar watching, I've developed obsessive-compulsive radar disorder :) However, my lamp post watching is totally out of control LOL!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Snow certainly getting heavier with bigger flakes here now. Absolutely minimal thaw. Usually the thinnest tree branches are the first to thaw - but even these are still covered.

Posted

I've just checked the radar - exciting!!! I'm trying to cut down on radar watching, I've developed obsessive-compulsive radar disorder whistling.gif However, my lamp post watching is totally out of control LOL!!

laugh.gif ditto

Posted

Snow turning heavier again now. :)