Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

The side roads and ugritted roads are not good. The main roads and gritted roads are clear ... of snow ... but many are gridlocked with mums taking their kids to school as none were walking there!

I sympathise with the payments being treacherous, but the only places I got stuck on my comute was near schools where it was mayhem with cars dropping kids off here there and everywhere and blocking the roads.

I sailed through town centres in places like Brierley Hill and Merry Hill where I thought I might be get stuck behind traffic on inclines.

Yep our council has done really well i think all through this cold spell with here which is right next to Merry Hill flowing freely. :)

yep! that mini band has reached me! snow was very light for 30 mins but its getting heavier now yahoo.gif

took the ruler out and it is confirmed my back garden has 6 cm's, 7 in some areas

It is getting heavier again around here and over Redditch way. The Mini band im on about is right on the South Wales Coast pretty much running into the SW/C Southern England Border way again. This may get to us sometime much later!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Look at this message on my school website:

School will close at 10am today(Wednesday 13 January) for all students. Year 11 students should return at 1.15pm for their GCSE English examination, and year 12 students should return for their AS level examinations.

What a bloody joke. They have cleared the snow off the paths and left the ice and they have been in their tutor groups for the last hour waiting for news that never came. And now this announcement. What a shambles.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Yep our council has done really well i think all through this cold spell with here which is right next to Merry Hill flowing freely. :nonono:

I agree. I think Sandwell & Dudley Council have finally got their act together after the previous years snow events caused mayhem. They got lambasted when they couldn't keep the dual carriageway (flat road) to Russels Hall A&E Hospital open when there was barely an inch of snow. Emergency Ambulances just couldnt get through.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Look at this message on my school website:

What a bloody joke. They have cleared the snow off the paths and left the ice and they have been in their tutor groups for the last hour waiting for news that never came. And now this announcement. What a shambles.

I think some schools try and desperately open so it looks like they have made an effort even though it all inevitabely fails!

I suspect many schools will be closed tomorrow as the thaw wont really start till tomorrow and pronbably not more so until Friday!

I agree. I think Sandwell & Dudley Council have finally got their act together after the previous years snow events caused mayhem. They got lambasted when they couldn't keep the dual carriageway (flat road) to Russels Hall A&E Hospital open when there was barely an inch of snow. Emergency Ambulances just couldnt get through.

I dont know about Sandwell way as i rarely go that way but yes they have done very well. In most snow events in the past ours have been gritted well but this time they have performed very well unlikely nearby Worcestershire council where on Monday they didnt grit much and i believe the same has happened today!!!

Only last tuesday did they struggle here but the snow was very heavy so in those cases its virtually impossible to keep up.

Pretty much top marks to the council here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Looks like three "bands" at the moment - The large wide one from Liverpool to London covering most of the west mids (Front ede near Notts/Derby)

Second smaller band like its intensifiying on the radar in a line from Aberystwyth to Reading heading north east

And then there is a new 3rd band forming across South Wales in a line from Carmarthenshire across cardiff, Bristol and Bournmouth...

still coming down here... and with lots more to come today possibley

Posted

I think some schools try and desperately open so it looks like they have made an effort even though it all inevitabely fails!

I suspect many schools will be closed tomorrow as the thaw wont really start till tomorrow and pronbably not more so until Friday!

When some schools remain open regardless I think it is thoughtless and in some cases reckless. With the state that the roads are in today it is going to be inevitable that the vast majority of staff and pupils will struggle to get in. And when school reopens, teachers will have the problem of some pupils being ahead and some pupils being behind.

Sometimes it is far easier to close a school than have the "we will open regardless" attitude.

Posted

ahhh yes i see it now! thanx blizzards

No problem however our area and im sure your area is seeing snow turning heavier now.

WHAT A WINTER!!! :cray:

The modern winters of mostly mild and the odd cold snap has now turned into mostly cold and the odd mild snap! :nonono:

Could turn colder again next week!

Posted

Since the snow has been falling since last tuesday, we have cleared the drive on days like today. We shove it all into one corner and after today this pile is now some 3ft high! Amazing.

Posted

It's been spitting little white things all morning, all looks decidedly sleety out in this part of Nottingham. :nonono:

Looks like three "bands" at the moment - The large wide one from Liverpool to London covering most of the west mids (Front ede near Notts/Derby)

Second smaller band like its intensifiying on the radar in a line from Aberystwyth to Reading heading north east

And then there is a new 3rd band forming across South Wales in a line from Carmarthenshire across cardiff, Bristol and Bournmouth...

still coming down here... and with lots more to come today possibley

It amazes me, how can you spell Aberystwyth correctly, yet fail to spell Bournemouth correctly! :cray: The number of times I see people spelling the name of what is pretty much my home town wrong...ARRRRRGH! :cray:;)

But never mind, now you know! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Ice is leathal here in the Sherwood Rise area of Nottingham, but still no snow here...

Cheers

FC

YUP!! absolutely LETHAL, the worst so far this winter. I have NEVER had to turn back form going to the post office, and my dog has NEVER has to have her walk cancelled due to weather. Its sooooooooooooo bad out there. Broken ankle country if you ask me! Anyone in the east midlands know if this is going to turn to snow for us?? or is it going to stay as rain? did everyone else have misty-rain to begin with?

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

working from home today but hopefully can get out in a bit to take a few pics and do some sledging.........'just make sure no one sees me' haha

most snow of the winter so far drinks.gif

coming down heavier now again........hopefully this lasts all day good.gif

Posted

Anyone in the east midlands know if this is going to turn to snow for us?? or is it going to stay as rain? did everyone else have misty-rain to begin with?

You can't be looking hard enough! :) Getting heavier and a little more snowy in nature in NG7!

Posted

Snow is settling again to our recently gritted drive! :)

You could be out there all day trying to clear it!

Posted

Snow is settling again to our recently gritted drive! :)

You could be out there all day trying to clear it!

With temperatures expect to get down to about -2c tonight things could be 10 times worse in the morning, especially if we have a slight thaw early evening.

Posted

It amazes me, how can you spell Aberystwyth correctly, yet fail to spell Bournemouth correctly! :) The number of times I see people spelling the name of what is pretty much my home town wrong...ARRRRRGH! :);)

Just as well you dont come from Sc'unthorpe as it woiuld never get through the swear filter. :)

Snow grains now coming down with increased intensity.

Posted

You can't be looking hard enough! :) Getting heavier and a little more snowy in nature in NG7!

Its been snowing here since about 07.30am...constantly.

But whilst its great, depths here have perhaps at best reached 2mm...i've had wider snow flakes than that before :)

Posted

wooohooo yahoo.gif we r doing really well in the west midlands!

its fantastic out there!

but on a more serious note! BE CAREFUL GUYS!

Hubby has got to work okay! but he says its sooooo bad in redditch! a car nearly crashed into him! it missed by a few inches! blink.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

You can't be looking hard enough! pardon.gif Getting heavier and a little more snowy in nature in NG7!

yeah, but I'm north west of you, so with this front moving a about .0000000006 miles per hour, it wont reach me till lunchtime! laugh.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

It's been spitting little white things all morning, all looks decidedly sleety out in this part of Nottingham. :yahoo:

It amazes me, how can you spell Aberystwyth correctly, yet fail to spell Bournemouth correctly! :yahoo: The number of times I see people spelling the name of what is pretty much my home town wrong...ARRRRRGH! :diablo:;)

But never mind, now you know! :D

Being half Welsh helps...

To be honest my posts dont stand much of a spelling check up... Its a problem!

Sorry ;)

Oh and so im not "off topic" sill coming down, and covering the tracks of cars that only got into work at 9ish...

Posted

Just as well you dont come from Sc'unthorpe as it woiuld never get through the swear filter. :diablo:

Snow grains now coming down with increased intensity.

Having been to the town in question, I can confirm that it isn't worthy of getting through the swear filter! Though one of my housemates has been known to go there occasionally...

Its been snowing here since about 07.30am...constantly.

But whilst its great, depths here have perhaps at best reached 2mm...i've had wider snow flakes than that before :yahoo:

Definately anorexic snowfall here - it's coming down fast, but you're damned if you try and inspect individual flakes - you can't see them!