Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

This is odd, despite the radar suggesting that we have light PPN it's actually snowing quite heavily here, 5p size flakes but coming down fast and even settling on the road.

I just use the radar to see how far away it is from me, when it gets to me I switch it off, because for snow it is useless for seeing how heavy it is to be honest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Many eastern parts now have a weather warning out but only for Widespread Icy Roads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

I was just setting off for work and realised that in the excitement of my husbands/daughters travel woes that I'd not checked my own schools status, and it's closed!! Good job I thought to check!

I'm quite sad really, it's fun at school in the snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

ok for you to say Serendipity - tell you what - you come and try and drive my car (Mazda MX5) if you can get it further than I could then well done to you! Interested to know what kind of car you/hubby do drive - so "most could try" - don't generalise!!! Go on and get stuck and block the roads like morons round our way are doing! wallbash.gif

He drives a multipla, I drive an almera.

If we don't take the children to school, they'll be marked as absent which goes on their attendance.

No gritted roads. In previous years we've lived within walking distance which was easier but now we have no choice but to drive, it's too far and no bus service.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Leicestershire Gap in the PPN is getting bigger and looks like it will be over us in the next hour . Hope I'm wrong .

Very wrong my friend :) Stop looking at that bloody Met-Office radar! N-W radar shows it should continue snowing in Leicester for a good 3 hours yet.

If we don't take the children to school, they'll be marked as absent which goes on their attendance.

No gritted roads. In previous years we've lived within walking distance which was easier but now we have no choice but to drive, it's too far and no bus service.

Hmm attendance, I had about 30% attendance in year 11 :unsure:

Posted

Been snowing heavy here since 6am this morning just starting to ease of a bit. All that snow that we did have was starting to melt then its back! Im just wondering how long we got this second batch of snow for now...:acute:

Posted

Hmm attendance, I had about 30% attendance in year 11 :acute:

Tut tut! It's really well covered out there, amazing snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Tut tut! It's really well covered out there, amazing snow.

I really wouldn't worry about a few days off here and there :) Should have just gone... "Bugger off, i'm going to have some fun with my kids in the snow and i'm not willing to risk getting my Almera damaged to try and take them" :acute:

That is the wise words of a 21 year old with no kids :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Just got off the phone to our kids school....their school is open even though few have turned up...The receptionist was quite rude saying that she's driven 12 miles and the main roads are fine....I said 'woopty doo, I dont live on a main road, so you need to be more civil and belt up!' she said " well, we might have to get someone to come and take the kids into school"...I said "what?....you must be joking, I'm not letting some stranger take the kids into school, you might be all wierdos for all I know"...she got the hump about that, but frankly I dont care, my partner was in hospital last week because of the icy pavements taking the kids to school, and I'm not prepared to take the risk of any of them getting hurt....The crazy thing is that last week, they still had the kids playing out in the playground even though it was covered in ice!....Our local school?...total cretins! :acute:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Just got off the phone to our kids school....their school is open even though few have turned up...The receptionist was quite rude saying that she's driven 12 miles and the main roads are fine....I said 'woopty doo, I dont live on a main road, so you need to be more civil and belt up!' she said " well, we might have to get someone to come and take the kids into school"...I said "what?....you must be joking, I'm not letting some stranger take the kids into school, you might be all wierdos for all I know"...she got the hump about that, but frankly I dont care, my partner was in hospital last week because of the icy pavements taking the kids to school, and I'm not prepared to take the risk of any of them getting hurt....The crazy thing is that last week, they still had the kids playing out in the playground even though it was covered in ice!....Our local school?...total cretins! :acute:

Now i would be annoyed with that! I know the receptionist must be busy but there is no excuse to be rude. Tbh today is a day where schools should be closed. Snow is settling with ease and the snow will continue for quite a while yet.

Posted

Steady light snow in Beeston area Sth Nottingham now. Temp. 0.3C - starting to settle on greenhouse. Thought our side road was just damp until I saw a woman trying to do a 3 point turn and gracefully pirouetting with wildly spinning wheels!! Beware ice...

Posted

Just got off the phone to our kids school....their school is open even though few have turned up...The receptionist was quite rude saying that she's driven 12 miles and the main roads are fine....I said 'woopty doo, I dont live on a main road, so you need to be more civil and belt up!' she said " well, we might have to get someone to come and take the kids into school"...I said "what?....you must be joking, I'm not letting some stranger take the kids into school, you might be all wierdos for all I know"...she got the hump about that, but frankly I dont care, my partner was in hospital last week because of the icy pavements taking the kids to school, and I'm not prepared to take the risk of any of them getting hurt....The crazy thing is that last week, they still had the kids playing out in the playground even though it was covered in ice!....Our local school?...total cretins! :)

Just heard from my husband. Seems half the school turned up only. My youngest's teacher wasn't there so she's in a different classroom. After he left them he skidded across a junction and into a hedge but is fine and off to buy a new bulb for his car as that seems to have blown on impact.

Quite a drama by all accounts. Now will wait for them to decide to shut after all... :(

I wasn't saying particularly that I blame people who decide not to go, more that if you could walk then it must be worth a shot as many people have to try from further afield. There just seems to be a really big difference between individual schools in terms of how they determine whether to open or not and I think there needs to be a more specific criteria. For instance my eldest's high school in stratford is open but no buses running so few children there yet all the primary schools in stratford are largely shut when people are generally within walking distance.

Posted

Steady light snow in Beeston area Sth Nottingham now. Temp. 0.3C - starting to settle on greenhouse. Thought our side road was just damp until I saw a woman trying to do a 3 point turn and gracefully pirouetting with wildly spinning wheels!! Beware ice...

Ice confirmed - snow now settling on road and pavements. Gone whitish very quickly!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

small flakes but snowing heavy quite a nice covering now... just drove form my gf who lives a noramlly 3 minute drive took 35 mins ppl getting stuck everywhere! crazy! loving it though :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Just got off the phone to our kids school....their school is open even though few have turned up...The receptionist was quite rude saying that she's driven 12 miles and the main roads are fine....I said 'woopty doo, I dont live on a main road, so you need to be more civil and belt up!' she said " well, we might have to get someone to come and take the kids into school"...I said "what?....you must be joking, I'm not letting some stranger take the kids into school, you might be all wierdos for all I know"...she got the hump about that, but frankly I dont care, my partner was in hospital last week because of the icy pavements taking the kids to school, and I'm not prepared to take the risk of any of them getting hurt....The crazy thing is that last week, they still had the kids playing out in the playground even though it was covered in ice!....Our local school?...total cretins! :(

Most of the teachers in my school haven't turned up, let alone the pupils!

Posted

Most schools are closed here except for exams. Those that are open will probably close soon!

Looks like an extra 'mini' band is developing behind the main front.

Not long ago, i saw a Dudley council gritter go down a side street which has road bumps on it aswell. How excellent is that! :(

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

Most schools are closed here except for exams. Those that are open will probably close soon!

Not long ago, i saw a Dudley council gritter go down a side street which has road bumps on it aswell. How excellent is that! :)

yeah it looks as though a band has formed behind and growing quite quickly! lets hope this goes on all day :)

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

The side roads and ugritted roads are not good. The main roads and gritted roads are clear ... of snow ... but many are gridlocked with mums taking their kids to school as none were walking there!

I sympathise with the payments being treacherous, but the only places I got stuck on my comute was near schools where it was mayhem with cars dropping kids off here there and everywhere and blocking the roads.

I sailed through town centres in places like Brierley Hill and Merry Hill where I thought I might be get stuck behind traffic on inclines.

Posted

1st Post! Freezing rain, well, drizzle Melton Mowbray and Nottingham - everywhere not salted is slick black ice. Pedestrians on the road and I think advice is to not venture out!

J.

It is the same story all over leicester at the minute , hardly anywhere has been salted . I can not understand how the goverment can put peoples lives at risk ! Why the hell didn't they order more in during the Summer months and build up reserves to last at least 3 months. England should be ashamed.

Posted

Ice confirmed - snow now settling on road and pavements. Gone whitish very quickly!

Ice is leathal here in the Sherwood Rise area of Nottingham, but still no snow here...

Cheers

FC

Posted

Not long ago, i saw a Dudley council gritter go down a side street which has road bumps on it aswell. How excellent is that! clap.gif

yep! that mini band has reached me! snow was very light for 30 mins but its getting heavier now yahoo.gif

took the ruler out and it is confirmed my back garden has 6 cm's, 7 in some areas

The school and goto work issue is a Huge grey area, there are people who can not move in the snow but also lazy people who can and dont.

We need several winters like this to start a new way of thinking with regards snow travel and coping with real winters.

I heard someone comment once that britain should "pull together how it used to" and clear paths, drives and local roads as a neighbour hood and more importantly use Snow Chains!

Excuse me if i am wrong, but if we all got snow chains would we not rip the clear roads to pieces??

Posted

East Midlands:

Leicester

Leicestershire

Lincolnshire

Northamptonshire

Nottingham

Nottinghamshire

Rutland

Widespread Icy Roads 0903 Wed 13 1400 Wed 13

Outbreaks of chiefly light sleet, rain and drizzle are falling onto roads and pavements where the temperature is below freezing and this will cause widespread icy surfaces to form in many areas.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 0906 Wed 13 Jan