Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

Well, got quite a bit of snow here on top of the thawed 4inches we have had throughout the week and this town is a nightmare. No grit has been layed down anywhere in the county it seems. Roads have become gridlocked wherever you are, cars not making it up hills and reports of spin outs and shunting all over the place! Moderate snowfall now, although very small flakes. Been snowing since 2.45am. Looks great out there though! another picturesque day! :air_kiss: :air_kiss:

EDIT: Glad to say, all schools in the area are open though, despite the distruption.

Edited by JamieUK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

about 4cm here on top of what we had. Most schools shut but the two mine go to are open so hubby has just headed off to try to get them there. It's a good 15 minute drive for us to the primary school and I think they could be in for a hellish trip.

Posted

Morning Folks

Nottingham update, traffic is slowing to a crawl, still no snow here, but the ice is challenging everyone now, people falling over everywhere...

Take care out there

Cheers

FC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Justt before I attempt to drive to work... Surprisingly snowy ! Probably have a good couple of inches on top of what we had, particularly in the areas that haven't seen the thaw. Good stuff. Enjoy all !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

Just told my daughter to come back - I rang her school to inform them and they told me that the traffic by the school is a nightmare too. My husband is still 5 minutes away from the house... I've got to call his school in a minute and give instructions regarding exams this morning. I'm snow line central here!

Posted

The snow I have waiting all day and night has finally arrived in Derby .................................... as rain wallbash.gif

Oh well, might turned to snow later

Enjoy, everyone else

edit: Snizzle - my back soft top car roof has turned white - maybe a good sign

Edited by Snowcheeks

Posted

Traffic is terrible outside. Its gridlock on a gritted main road. The side road next to it, its taking people 10 minutes to get up a 30 second road. Once that, they get stuck coming out onto the main road. Its terrible. Doesnt help theyve opened the piggin` school so theres kids trying to run across the main road, only takes one to mis-judge the speed of a car..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Just told my daughter to come back - I rang her school to inform them and they told me that the traffic by the school is a nightmare too. My husband is still 5 minutes away from the house... I've got to call his school in a minute and give instructions regarding exams this morning. I'm snow line central here!

It's a joke that some schools have remained open. And before the misery-bum (swear filter lol) brigade moan about schools closing, this isn't the 1960s, things have changed, people use cars and health and safety rules - get over it.

4x4s are even struggling on the roads by me. Our headteacher had the wise idea of putting a message on the school website yesterday declaring that school would be open today.

Edited by nick2702

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Snowing here in Leicester , but I would say it is very sleety , although more snow than rain . I have never been a big fan of light frontal Snow , If your going to have frontal Snow it needs to be heavy with big flakes to make it worth while.

Not so sure about that Chris, my road is white now and it's coming down in fine snow but it's all snow here. The band has only just arrived so it should be snowing light-moderate for at least 4 hours because it is moving incredibly slow. Could give 3cm maybe.

It's a joke that some schools have remained open. And before the misery-I have a problem brigade moan about schools closing, this isn't the 1960s, things have changed, people use cars and health and safety rules - get over it.

4x4s are even struggling on the roads by me. Our headteacher had the wise idea of putting a message on the school website yesterday declaring that school would be open today.

What did I tell ya last night Nickoli? :lol:

Posted

About 2.5cm's here & still snowing, same light stuff that gave us a few cm's the other night/day. Nice to see an Atlantic system turn to snow when many were saying it would sweep in & rain! Supposed to rain on the weekend but still been a decent cold snap & a very welcome return to a half decent winter.

Posted

Have fine snow here...that small polystyrene type.

Its covering the ground, so not complaining.

Only problem is, we seem to have sprung a leak in my office downstairs :lol:

Posted

the temperature and dew points have been perfect for settling snow.... truelly amazed with the depth already... up to 3 inches top up and this looks to carry on.

What a surprise!

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

We have snow here... just want to say, if you don't have to drive, then don't! It's absolutely lethal out there.

I've been gone an hour and 20 minutes, managed to get 3 mile down the round and gave up as nowhere as been gritted. Reports on the radio of several cars coming off the road on the A511, hitting a tree and one rolling - seems they haven't even attempted to grit any of the roads! Really think some questions need answering as to why we weren't prepared... yet again!

Posted

The snow I have waiting all day and night has finally arrived in Derby .................................... as rain wallbash.gif

Oh well, might turned to snow later

Enjoy, everyone else

edit: Snizzle - my back soft top car roof has turned white - maybe a good sign

It looks to be drizzling here, but it seems to be really fine snow! Everything is gradually turning white due to the low temperature - expect it will turn to rain throughout the day as the temperature rises.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

What did I tell ya last night Nickoli? :lol:

I would say, but unfortunately this is a family forum.

Posted

We have snow here... just want to say, if you don't have to drive, then don't! It's absolutely lethal out there.

I've been gone an hour and 20 minutes, managed to get 3 mile down the round and gave up as nowhere as been gritted. Reports on the radio of several cars coming off the road on the A511, hitting a tree and one rolling - seems they haven't even attempted to grit any of the roads! Really think some questions need answering as to why we weren't prepared... yet again!

Still got your SEAT Ash?

Posted

It's a joke that some schools have remained open. And before the misery-bum (swear filter lol) brigade moan about schools closing, this isn't the 1960s, things have changed, people use cars and health and safety rules - get over it.

Trouble is most of the people that buy 4x4s don't really know how to drive them off road or in adverse conditions, espc those BMWs with the big chunky road tyres. There useless.

90 Defender Land Rover mate, that's a proper four-wheel drive.

:lol: :lol:

Posted

Still got your SEAT Ash?

Nope that blew up, got a 'Vauxhall' VXR8 now, 6.2 V8, rear wheel drive with 430bhp... absolutely lethal in the snow and has been pushed about 5 times now :lol:

Posted

Im literally crying here, still havent had the bacon sarnie I was gunna cook. Busy watching people fall over outside my house. Bloody brilliant, im in tears.

Posted

Nope that blew up, got a 'Vauxhall' VXR8 now, 6.2 V8, rear wheel drive with 430bhp... absolutely lethal in the snow and has been pushed about 5 times now :lol:

Jeeez, you love your high powered cars don't you :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Blimey I didnt expect this much...already approaching 5cm , and its been getting heavier the past 30 minutes or so...NW radar shows the snow pepping up in a line roughly Chester to Oxford through Birmingham, and not going anywhere in a hurry!

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

help.gif Just left at 8.30 to do my post office run and walk my dog, only to turn around half way up my road and slide all the way back. Its SOLID ICE here in S'nottingham. I mean good ol' fashion, Tom & Jerry ice skating from their thawed freezer episode of solid ice. and to make it WORSE, its misting rain out!!!! crazy.gif

My poor dog is like mad.gif at me.... I actually NEED snow to be able to go and do my postal run, so I can walk on the road/pavement! Weather gods have failed me again. Stupid permant ACME snow sheild wallbash.gif