Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Horrendous black ice out there - can't cycle for 90% of my route to work. Be extremely careful and take things slow if you need to be out there.

This winter/cold spell is really outliving its welcome for me now. Dull, drizzly, sunless & lethal ice isn't what I call fun. Roll on spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Blimey I didnt expect this much...already approaching 5cm , and its been getting heavier the past 30 minutes or so...NW radar shows the snow pepping up in a line roughly Chester to Oxford through Birmingham, and not going anywhere in a hurry!

Very pleased this morning, was not expecting this much! This has certainly been a memorable cold spell.

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

Jeeez, you love your high powered cars don't you :yahoo:

I'm just trying to help get this "Global Warming" moving a bit... I don't think it's working yet though :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Small flakes here but heavy and sticking instantly. :yahoo: 4cm here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

It's a joke that some schools have remained open. And before the misery-bum (swear filter lol) brigade moan about schools closing, this isn't the 1960s, things have changed, people use cars and health and safety rules - get over it.

I agree with you Nick. It's not the same anymore and everyone, people and businesses alike have to accept that, on some occasions, it's futile to attempt to go out. In the final analysis gridlock, accidents and pedestrians falling over hurting themselves is no good for anyone.

Posted

I agree with you Nick. It's not the same anymore and everyone, people and businesses alike have to accept that, on some occasions, it's futile to attempt to go out. In the final analysis gridlock, accidents and pedestrians falling over hurting themselves is no good for anyone.

Now, that in bold is good for me to watch, ill be honest. Well not hurt themselves but to see them fall has been making me howl all morning :yahoo:

Posted

Well I've wasted more time trying to get in to work when I could have just logged straight in to work from home (which I'm doing now). I'm actually glad this is the end of the snowy weather now; we've had a good cold spell with plenty of snow, lets get back to normal now.

Posted

Exactly.

Snow still fairly small flakes (but not rubbish grains by any means) and is getting heavier. Starting to drift up walls now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

So is this set to turn to rain and thaw later? If so, it makes no sense for any schools to shut if conditions will improve throughout the day. The first band has certainly almost passed here now I think, seems to have split into two.

That said, my hubby is having a pretty crap journey I gather. But if we can get in from a village with NO gritted roads, having another 4cm on top of the existing snow, to schools that usually take a 15 minute journey (last few days taken about 30 mins to over an hour) then I would have thought most could try!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

These are probably some of the best settling small flakes ive ever seen! :yahoo:

Posted

Well I've wasted more time trying to get in to work when I could have just logged straight in to work from home (which I'm doing now). I'm actually glad this is the end of the snowy weather now; we've had a good cold spell with plenty of snow, lets get back to normal now.

yep agreed! all this weather distraction is stopping me from studying rolleyes.gif

Posted

So is this set to turn to rain and thaw later? If so, it makes no sense for any schools to shut if conditions will improve throughout the day. The first band has certainly almost passed here now I think, seems to have split into two.

That said, my hubby is having a pretty crap journey I gather. But if we can get in from a village with NO gritted roads, having another 4cm on top of the existing snow, to schools that usually take a 15 minute journey (last few days taken about 30 mins to over an hour) then I would have thought most could try!

It shouldnt turn to rain. A slow thaw begining tomorrow though more Friday.

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

anyone travelling around sedgley the roads are getting bad now - definitely the worst of this spell on the roads. This is possibly the one day where the schools are ok to be closed....

will take some pics later over looking the view - but inplaces 6 inches plus (obviously totals over the last week). Time for the boots and sedgley beacon sledging later clap.gif

A good 5cms in the night and I reckon we are not finished yet yahoo.gif

Posted

Nobody has said it will turn to rain? It will sit over the north Midlands and continue as snow.

Posted

Exactly.

Snow still fairly small flakes (but not rubbish grains by any means) and is getting heavier. Starting to drift up walls now!

Not being funny, but if this carries on for a 3-6 hour period, we could end up with our best snow of the winter (depth wise) :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Nobody has said it will turn to rain? It will sit over the north Midlands and continue as snow.

Overnight NMM's & GFS charts show a marked thaw towards tomorrow morning with first freezing rain, then plain old rain for the midlands by midnight...worth keeping an eye on

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Still snowing in Shrewsbury light flakes but every now and again get a little burst of strong stuff..

If it keeps up like this all day it could be a terrible trip home.. took 35 mins to do just over a mile and there are queues into town from most roads.

probs about 2cm approaching 3, but the snows much deeper on the edge of town and the countryside around the town, parent reporting over an inch 5 miles out of town...

Posted

Not so sure about that Chris, my road is white now and it's coming down in fine snow but it's all snow here. The band has only just arrived so it should be snowing light-moderate for at least 4 hours because it is moving incredibly slow. Could give 3cm maybe.

What did I tell ya last night Nickoli? :unsure:

Yes it is all Snow now , although a heavy light snow if that makes sense , Small flakes coming down heavy , it is amazing how different frontal snow is to our Easterly Showers.

Models showing a very cold Easterly again for next Tuesday , I wonder if this trend will be maintained.

Posted

Overnight NMM's & GFS charts show a marked thaw towards tomorrow morning with first freezing rain, then plain old rain for the midlands by midnight...worth keeping an eye on

BBC said perhaps turning more sleety in the south of the region, but nothing more than that. But certainly not turning to rain by this afternoon as suggested by one poster anyway. Will almost certainly continue as snow for most through daylight hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

This is odd, despite the radar suggesting that we have light PPN it's actually snowing quite heavily here, 5p size flakes but coming down fast and even settling on the road.

Posted

ok for you to say Serendipity - tell you what - you come and try and drive my car (Mazda MX5) if you can get it further than I could then well done to you! Interested to know what kind of car you/hubby do drive - so "most could try" - don't generalise!!! Go on and get stuck and block the roads like morons round our way are doing! wallbash.gif

Posted

Some schools are closing now, pathetic really. If your going to close, close it before they've gone in! Dont bloody decide when the kids then have to make a dangerous trip home, either walking or getting the parents to make another dangerous journey from work back to the school! Argh! And some little barks took the snow from my wall :unsure: I want to see that get quite high..