Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Yes, its miles lighter than the radar suggests. Its nice to see nonetheless but it wont lay at this rate.

Edit: Scratch that, its bucketing down and laying now!

Hi reef, it's snowing moderately here now with larger flakes, it's blowing around wild aswell, will keep u posted, can u keep me posted aswell please mate.

Btw, whats your real name?

lewis

Posted

Hi reef, it's snowing moderately here now with larger flakes, it's blowing around wild aswell, will keep u posted, can u keep me posted aswell please mate.

Btw, whats your real name?

lewis

Exceptionally heavy here now, a complete cover has built up in less than 10 minutes. Very impressed!

Cheers,

Paul (yes another) :)

Posted

That's frustrating, I've just hit a huge gap. I suppose it serves me right for laughing at Lewis's earlier disappointment

Exceptionally heavy here now, a complete cover has built up in less than 10 minutes. Very impressed!

Cheers,

Good stuff :)

Posted

Cheers,

Another Paul! lol

Nice to meet you paul :)

And yep, we have a blizzard here, it's amazing what a gust of 17mph can do to snow! Its finding it hard to settle, theres just drift lines all over the place lol.

WOW amazing what 15 mins can do you seen the radar now paul :)

Just north of us

post-2644-12648122433688_thumb.png

Posted

Nothing more than the odd flake here, but the showers further north are moving much further inland.

clear here i can see the moon but i can see Lewis's blizzard getting nearer lol (bet it misses me lol)

Posted

You couldn't make this up. The first shower passes to my East, and then the second to my West

post-5487-12648127178088_thumb.png

Yeah were both stuck in the same gap mate,but those showers to your east could hit me later.

Posted

Woop, nearly gave up but checked outside and its snowing moderatly and really windy blowing the stuff around! Lets hope we can get a decent cover! drinks.gif

After many month's lurking I've decided to post....I was lurking during the December and January cold spells and found all the posts very informing and enjoyed reading.....keep em' coming Lewis, Reef and the rest in this thread (cant remember names ha ha!) rolleyes.gif

Edited by wayne.1982

Posted

This is amazing, i don't even have 1cm level, but its fine with heavier flakes mixed in, it's just a complete white out, with like 1.3cm of snow up me door, all down the side of me fence, it's a dusting all on surfaces, with some drifts up the kerbs, im near the end of my street which goes onto another long street which is exposes to a northerly wind, and it's just like a blowing machine rofl, this has made my day, truely amazing! and there's more heavy stuff too come, i suspect the other showers N of me will produce the couple of cm of proper fluffy flakes :)

After seeing this, woah bring on this Easterly later in the week, 50mph winds, -16 to -20 upper 850's and heavy snow :) :) :) ramp mode!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Nice covering here if you can call it that. Very gusty, the snow flakes don't seem that large, small in natural, but certainly a lot of it coming down. I think the Humber is doing something to weaken them, nice all the same.

Posted

Woop, nearly gave up but checked outside and its snowing moderatly and really windy blowing the stuff around! Lets hope we can get a decent cover! drinks.gif

After many month's lurking I've decided to post....I was lurking during the December and January cold spells and found all the posts very informing and enjoyed reading.....keep em' coming Lewis, Reef and the rest in this thread (cant remember names ha ha!) rolleyes.gif

Hi wayne, welcome to the forum

Brian :)

Posted

Yeah Lewis, would certainly me more interesting if we saw some proper flakes out of this.

Posted

Nice covering here if you can call it that. Very gusty, the snow flakes don't seem that large, small in natural, but certainly a lot of it coming down. I think the Humber is doing something to weaken them, nice all the same.

i think thats very true it's still clear here yet i can see the snow clouds on the north bank

Posted

i think thats very true it's still clear here yet i can see the snow clouds on the north bank

Don't get me wrong we have about 1cm here in places, but very wet snow and the windy is very gusty.

Posted

Welcome Wayne :)

The reason we're getting such small flakes and its blowing around is due to the low dewpoints. You only get really fluffy flakes (and the best snow for snowballs) when the dewpoint is closer to zero. 850hPa temperatures are just around -8C at the moment. Its one reason I like northerlies more than easterlies. If this were an easterly right now with the same upper air temperatures, ground temperatures here would be 2-3C and dewpoints would be closer to zero. The showers would still be snow (or usually graupel) but it would struggle to lay. In a northerly when you take out the North Sea warming influence, you can get quite good falls even in milder upper air.

Posted

People were posting Dewpoints of -6 or so earlier I thought the idea was to get the Dewpoints as minus as possible. :S

Posted

People were posting Dewpoints of -6 or so earlier I thought the idea was to get the Dewpoints as minus as possible. :S

Lower dewpoints guarantee that snow will fall rather than rain or sleet, but it also makes the flakes smaller. It basically means you can get some massive flakes in more marginal situations, but around here close to the coast its a large risk.

Posted

It's good to see the showers still pushing further inland.Eventually i'll call it a night :)

i know the feeling:D very thin cloud here still not enough for snow yet,still see it on the north bank so close and yet so far.

welcome to the forum Wayne

Russ

Posted

Lower dewpoints guarantee that snow will fall rather than rain or sleet, but it also makes the flakes smaller. It basically means you can get some massive flakes in more marginal situations, but around here close to the coast its a large risk.

I think I've been confusing 850hpa temps with dewpoints.

So a 850hpa of -5 combined with a dewpoint of 0c would guarantee snow inland? Where as on the coast 850hpa would have to be slightly higher than -5 combined with a dewpoint of 0c to achieve the larger flakes?