Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I think I've been confusing 850hpa temps with dewpoints.

So a 850hpa of -5 combined with a dewpoint of 0c would guarantee snow inland? Where as on the coast 850hpa would have to be slightly higher than -5 combined with a dewpoint of 0c to achieve the larger flakes?

Hi rikki, John's guide to forecasting snow may help you :)

Posted

I think I've been confusing 850hpa temps with dewpoints.

So a 850hpa of -5 combined with a dewpoint of 0c would guarantee snow inland? Where as on the coast 850hpa would have to be slightly higher than -5 combined with a dewpoint of 0c to achieve the larger flakes?

The 850hPa temperature is the temperature a few thousand feet in the air. Generally a value of -6C or below is good for snow (it can vary). Dewpoint is a measure of the moisture content of the air. The closer it is to the actual air temperature, the more saturated (full of water) the air is. Colder air is drier so comes with low dewpoints. Hence when looking for snow you want an 850hPa temperature as low as possible (below -8C generally on the coast) and a dewpoint below freezing.

Coastal areas often need colder 850hPa temperatures for snow as the sea moderates the air (adds moisture and warms the surface layer). This is particularly pronounced in an easterly as the air spends longer over the sea and so is moderated more. This often leads to the disappointing wintry mix at the coast when inland gets snow. As you go inland the effects of the moderation lessen and dewpoints/temperatures fall.

hope this helps.

Still snowing moderately here with a centimeter or so cover.

Temperature is -1.2C so ice could be an issue later.

Posted

about 1cm could be a little more, can't tell with it being dark, but it's white everywhere.

and time for me to go to bed :)

Shame theres no more snow now until Next week, can't see anything brewing up today and sunday.

night all

Posted

YaY!!!!

just starting to snow only light as yet

i am going to bed too kids up in a few hours, not sure if any lying snow by morning

Night all

Posted

There's a big shower heading straight for me, so hopefully it won't weaken too much as it crosses the humber :)

Thats been the story of my life tonight

Edited by russh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Snow's over with for now and the foreseeable future. Will probably get the odd shower overnight. Last measurement was 2.4 inches on the slightly sheltered patio. Looks to be a little more in the centre of the garden - perhaps 3 inches at max there. I was barefoot and in my dressing gown so didn't venture too far out to confirm :)

Posted

i'll give it 5 more minutes :)

Yeh same here mate, I'm going to give it five more minutes before I call it a night. let's hope it's a little more productive as the morning progresses. :)

Posted

Yeh same here mate, I'm going to give it five more minutes before I call it a night. let's hope it's a little more productive as the morning progresses. :)

Hi mate hows the snow going in your part of the uk?drinks.gif - nothing in Caaaaardiff lol maybe the shower will hit us in next 10 mins.

Posted

Hi mate hows the snow going in your part of the uk?drinks.gif - nothing in Caaaaardiff lol maybe the shower will hit us in next 10 mins.

Hi Jay, not too well for me I'm afraid to say. Some of us who are further East have done OK tonight, such as Scarborough and Hull.

My area has only had a light dusting of snow and a couple of graupel showers.

Posted

It's snowing finally :)

wow it's coming down pretty fast now :)

Nice one mate, Ive just had a flurry or two, but it looks as though this is another shower that's going to brush past me. I seem to be finding all the gaps tonight. Never mind :)

Posted

Nice one mate, Ive just had a flurry or two, but it looks as though this is another shower that's going to brush past me. I seem to be finding all the gaps tonight. Never mind :)

So frustrating in Cardiff i've had showers tonight heading for me breaking up over mountains lol. Can't see the hills now so must be a good sign.

Edited by Jayfromcardiff

Posted

So frustrating in Cardiff i've had showers tonight heading for me breaking up over mountains lol.

Yeh, I know how you feel.

Edit: snow is falling quite nicely just now. I can't see it lasting long though.

Posted

Snowing here woohooo.

Good Stuff :) This shower is turning out to be much better than I imagined. It's laying quite quickly too. I was just about to call it a night, but I'll give it a bit longer.

Posted

Nice lasted 5 mins here didnt even snow enough for a slight dusting lmao.

Night mate take care, off to bed no other showers heading my way.

Night Jay :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Well, this morning, the snow is absolutely hammering it down again. Now looking at 3-4 inches outside I reckon. Gotts go to Leeds in 30 mins, if I can get the car out :yahoo: