Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

just had a 20minute snow shower

very surprising rolleyes.gif

5mm approxdrinks.gif

I've been monitoring the ppn which is around Wales and the Midlands. This ppn might move towards the SE.

Posted

I'm starting to fear for drivers around here now... Stourbridge Road is completely covered. I've never seen that at all before. I would've thought that all the cars going up and down would've at least made some clear tracks, but there's been nothing. It won't be that bad once traffic gets going again.

EDIT:

It's a blizzard out there. Absolutely rediculous sized flakes being pasted on the ground. And according to the radar, there's more to come. It doesn't get better than this. :cold:

Edited by Hailsowen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Frequent snow showers overnight. Dont think much gritting has took place.

Posted

Was woken at 2.30am by a heavy graupel shower. Currently a light dusting of very frozen snow on the ground. May have been some sleet or even frozen rain at some point. Rather treacherous out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Morning everyone. Woke to about 2cm today which was a lovely bonus. Nice to see a white landscape again I have rather missed it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

very chilly start, -3.3°C, thick frost like dec 21st, very slippy as partial thaw from yesterday

models, beast back on from around next tues, but no excitement as it doesnt seem to be coming out of FI

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Hey there, i cannot leave the house currently as the whole area is gridlocked. No gritting has took place with traffic going literally no where. Schools are desperate to stay open but everyone is going to be late including me...very late!

Posted

We are literally housebound here!!! Gridlock continues and will go on for much of the day at this rate.

Posted

The situation hasnt improved here. Infact even some signs that a few people may have abandoned their cars for now. Virtually impossible!

Posted

Same here!! theres been about 1-2cm of snow generally but there was layer of black ice/frost underneath it as the ground was soaking yesterday afternoon then froze in the veneing then it snowed over the top of it.

Edited by conor123

Posted

The situation hasnt improved here. Infact even some signs that a few people may have abandoned their cars for now. Virtually impossible!

I was on my way down Quarry Bank high Street this morning, and a normal 10 minute journey took me over half an hour!

Got into Birmingham City and there is not even what I'd call a dusting.... That's what I call selective snow!

Posted

I was on my way down Quarry Bank high Street this morning, and a normal 10 minute journey took me over half an hour!

Got into Birmingham City and there is not even what I'd call a dusting.... That's what I call selective snow!

Im very close to the High street and its still awful. Id say the traffic is moving slightly better now but stopping frequently. Looksing at the radar its mainly Dudley and Worcestershire and Staffordshire that was really affected. Extremely bad!

Posted

Im very close to the High street and its still awful. Id say the traffic is moving slightly better now but stopping frequently. Looksing at the radar its mainly Dudley and Worcestershire and Staffordshire that was really affected. Extremely bad!

I dread to think what Thorns Road must be like with all the lane closures etc... Bad morning for some.

Posted

I dread to think what Thorns Road must be like with all the lane closures etc... Bad morning for some.

The roadworks add insult to injury and to hurt even more they were due to finish on about 14th February but they now have until 19th March!!!

We have to use the Thorns Road every day to get to School. Im still at home and apparently our school bus from Stourport has turned round and those who are in have said there is pretty much no one in. Lol.

Posted

The roadworks add insult to injury and to hurt even more they were due to finish on about 14th February but they now have until 19th March!!!

We have to use the Thorns Road every day to get to School. Im still at home and apparently our school bus from Stourport has turned round and those who are in have said there is pretty much no one in. Lol.

I imagine! I have family in Bewdley that are stuck at home today. The A456 and the A491 will be no go areas this morning at least.

Funnily enough, I'm the only staff member from the Dudley area in today. What I do for a monthly pay cheque :unsure:

Posted

I imagine! I have family in Bewdley that are stuck at home today. The A456 and the A491 will be no go areas this morning at least.

Funnily enough, I'm the only staff member from the Dudley area in today. What I do for a monthly pay cheque :rolleyes:

Yep many are just giving up. Traffic easing now but i think many have just given up and gone home. Still bad delays.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

3 frigin hours to do 18 miles from South Staffs to the Black Country with barely 1-2 cm of snow!

It was obvious what was going to happen. There were snow showers Sunday afternoon. A lovely white-out on Cannock Chase mid-afternoon. :shok: That thawed and made the roads wet. That then all froze as darkness fell and we had a dusting overnight on top of Black Ice. The councils said they were out at 4 am this morning but that is of no use as they need flowing traffic for the grit to spread and work. They should have been out last night after 5 pm as well before the snow. It's not rocket science and IT WAS FORECAST.

That and ... 100's of precious little Johnnys being driven by mummy 1/2 mile down the road to school .... (dont get me started!!) caused gridlock. :unsure:

EDIT: Some councils say they were out last night as well??

http://www.expressandstar.com/2010/02/01/drivers-are-caught-out-in-big-freeze/

Edited by kar999

Posted

Looks like there was a streamer last night,got 1 inch of snow 2inches where it never thawed.

-1.4C min and still 100% cover a NW-ly and an East wind E/NE are the best directions for snow showers.

2.7c now but less thawing to yesterday and a west wind high cloud cover and very weak sun. :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Hello everyone. smile.gif Just popping over from "the other side" since TWO doesn't have regional threads. About 2cm of snow in Bewdley this morning, and the same traffic problems (though on a slightly lesser scale) as reported from other places. All slushy now in town, but still a reasonable if thin covering once you get up a bit from the town centre.

Edited by Arctic Hare

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Some quite hefty snow showers now filtering down through the cheshire gap....areas near Nantwich, Stoke, down to Stafford look to be in the firing line for moderate/heavy precip this afternoon :)post-4149-12650345400188_thumb.txt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Hello everyone. smile.gif Just popping over from "the other side" since TWO doesn't have regional threads. About 2cm of snow in Bewdley this morning, and the same traffic problems (though on a slightly lesser scale) as reported from other places. All slushy now in town, but still a reasonable if thin covering once you get up a bit from the town centre.

Actually, that's not the case now. Even as I was writing that a serious thaw was setting in. There's still a slush 50% covering on sheltered lawns, but elsewhere we're down to scattered patches - it's 5°C now. I can see the Clent Hills from near here, and they still look white, but the lower hills are back to green.

Posted

Some quite hefty snow showers now filtering down through the cheshire gap....areas near Nantwich, Stoke, down to Stafford look to be in the firing line for moderate/heavy precip this afternoon smile.gifpost-4149-12650345400188_thumb.txt

Hi, with a few potentially snowy exceptions into this evening and overnight (notably N Wales and Cumbria), we expect these cells and the gathering swathe of precip following into the W/NW to readily fall as wet rather than white stuff; the warm advection will get underway from the NW and the wet bulb freezing levels are ascending later today steadily up to 400-500m. Having said that, I think you might just still squeeze something wintry if the heavier ppn rates from some of the cells hold-up for a while into this evening (especially over upland districts, e.g. towards the likes of Matlock etc).... hey, you never know!