Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 24

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

evil.gif

Oh no Monds, you didn't, did you?? Really? Are you ok? Has your house been burned to the ground by a lynch mob of people with the words 'snow', 'cold', 'cooling' or 'blizzard' in their display name(obviously not blizzardo or snowstorm though!)?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Oh no Monds, you didn't, did you?? Really? Are you ok? Has your house been burned to the ground by a lynch mob of people with the words 'snow', 'cold', 'cooling' or 'blizzard' in their display name(obviously not blizzardo or snowstorm though!)?

ha ha.

Pitchforks and torches heading mondys way.

Went to check, but they had started a new thread....

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I entered the fray also, trying as much as possible to sour the mood with 'the 18Z is a complete downgrade IMO' type comments, only more toned down of course! It just annoys me that people get to do that when things are good for us but when things turn we don't get to have a good old-fashioned TOORP just to blow off a little steam and not get carried away with some ridiculous pub run! Let's see if the 00Zs beat the 18Z but if not I know where I'm going for a spontaneous term time holiday! edit: the ECM was better than I thought... http://en.vedur.is/photos/atlant_evr_urkomuspa/100219_1200_90.png

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Yeah the ECM tonight was a sort of middle ground solution, the track of the low is a little further north then the 12z GFS, enough so that a wrap around front comes back into Scotland and the NE, plus you'd probably get the Midlanders happy with that solution as well, sure its not as snowy as the 18z GFS but it'd be better then what my location will get, which from the looks of it is very heavy rain and flooding...once again the field I need to cross in Chichester is gonna be a muddy swamp, joy :whistling:

Posted

Yeah the ECM tonight was a sort of middle ground solution, the track of the low is a little further north then the 12z GFS, enough so that a wrap around front comes back into Scotland and the NE, plus you'd probably get the Midlanders happy with that solution as well, sure its not as snowy as the 18z GFS but it'd be better then what my location will get, which from the looks of it is very heavy rain and flooding...once again the field I need to cross in Chichester is gonna be a muddy swamp, joy tongue.gif

You know for all the talk of SE bias, it's more a midlands bias at the moment (though it is completely and utterly justified really)!! I just realised that London would be unlikely to see much, if any, snowfall from this, even if the GFS 18Z verified it would still be struggling a bit for snow. At least cold, sunny and frosty (which seems to be realistically the worst case scenario at the moment!!)beats cold rain!

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

If you want a laugh, see here:

http://www.419eater.com/html/joe_eboh.htm

For the weather, we have a 1-1.5 cm covering here. Another heavy shower might just pass over soon.biggrin.gif

My housemate is obsessed with 419eater, its a great laugh

Another good one passed onto me today by a friend in the police

http://www.subtafuge.com/2008/04/genuine-complaint-to-the-devon-cornwall-police/

SK

Just the -7C at Glasgow Airport this morning, although it's a rather balmy -5.4C at Bishopton.

Another cracking hard frost again this morning, at this rate we should be curling again by Monday :doh:

-15C at Tulloch Bridge overnight, I'm sure somewhere will have been slightly colder though.

Posted

Just the -7C at Glasgow Airport this morning, although it's a rather balmy -5.4C at Bishopton.

Another cracking hard frost again this morning, at this rate we should be curling again by Monday good.gif

-15C at Tulloch Bridge overnight, I'm sure somewhere will have been slightly colder though.

Looks like a dry and cold few days coming up??

I thought there was maybe something for Sunday, but that all looks to be going further south cray.gifgood.gif

Edited by Snowplough33

Looks like a dry and cold few days coming up??

I thought there was maybe something for Sunday, but that all looks to be going further south cray.gifgood.gif

Aye, it does look like more cold and dry days coming up. Why is it never this sunny in summer? :doh: No fog today though which is strange.

Sunday's precip is staying south after teasing us a little in the past few days' runs, overnight GFS has a bit of a snowstorm for Scotland in the middle of next week, but I will believe that when I see it.

Posted

Aye, it does look like more cold and dry days coming up. Why is it never this sunny in summer? rofl.gif No fog today though which is strange.

Sunday's precip is staying south after teasing us a little in the past few days' runs, overnight GFS has a bit of a snowstorm for Scotland in the middle of next week, but I will believe that when I see it.

Well tomorrow has 'southgraded' a bit but this just means we can become more entrenched in cold air before fronts arrive. Like swapping last February's breakdown event for March 2006 for even (if this pattern southgrades again we need to have a further straw clutch I feel) January '93. Ideal position of the low is northern England, stalling as it moves east north east wards to keep the front coming at us along with cold uppers on an easterly breeze - like so - http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100220/00/120/h500slp.png http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100220/00/120/prectypeuktopo.png

http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/meteo/ecmwf/NSea/2010022000/NSea_2010022000_thgt850_96.png

http://charts.netweather.tv/models/meto/20100220/00/images/met.120.png

LS

Posted

woke up this morning opened the door to walk the dogs ,about 2 cm was't execpting that :doh: sky looks full,there was none when i went to bed :doh:

dew point -0.6

wind chill -1.9

temp .9

Well tomorrow has 'southgraded' a bit but this just means we can become more entrenched in cold air before fronts arrive. Like swapping last February's breakdown event for March 2006 for even (if this pattern southgrades again we need to have a further straw clutch I feel) January '93. Ideal position of the low is northern England, stalling as it moves east north east wards to keep the front coming at us along with cold uppers on an easterly breeze - like so -

"Southgraded": that's one for the lexicon :good:

I must have missed something but when was "last February's breakdown" (date?) as I don't remember that one :pardon:

Either March 2006 or January 1993 would do, I'm not fussy when picking between such glorious weather events.

woke up this morning opened the door to walk the dogs ,about 2 cm was't execpting that :unsure: sky looks full,there was none when i went to bed :drunk:

dew point -0.6

wind chill -1.9

temp .9

There is some precip on the way to you, look at this:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Posted

"Southgraded": that's one for the lexicon good.gif

I must have missed something but when was "last February's breakdown" (date?) as I don't remember that one pardon.gif

Either March 2006 or January 1993 would do, I'm not fussy when picking between such glorious weather events.

I'm sure you beat me in March '06, but last February was really an east only event, in fact the southern extent of major snow was Edinburgh, Glasgow saw transient snow to sleet to rain, while 4 inches fell here but 8 inches fell in Dundee city centre, grounding traffic to a halt. Ironically the chart that brought it looks the least eventful really http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2009/Rrea00120090212.gif

woke up this morning opened the door to walk the dogs ,about 2 cm was't execpting that :pardon: sky looks full,there was none when i went to bed :drunk:

dew point -0.6

wind chill -1.9

temp .9

Met-O have a weather warning out for you:

Highlands & Eilean Siar: Eilean Siar

Highland

Heavy Snow 0602 Sat 20 1200 Sat 20

Heavy snow showers are expected to affect the Western Isles and northern and western coastal fringes of the Northwest Highlands this morning, with accumulations of 5cm building up in a few hours.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to Traffic Scotland for further advice on road conditions.

Issued at: 0603 Sat 20 Feb

From: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/he/he_forecast_warnings.html

I'm sure you beat me in March '06, but last February was really an east only event, in fact the southern extent of major snow was Edinburgh, Glasgow saw transient snow to sleet to rain, while 4 inches fell here but 8 inches fell in Dundee city centre, grounding traffic to a halt. Ironically the chart that brought it looks the least eventful really

That chart looks like nothing should be happening :good: and I now understand why I don't remember anything since nothing happened here :)

As for March 2006, aye, we got a dusting :unsure: That was the second biggest one-dump snowfall I've ever seen.

Posted

Can somebody tell me why the snow is so sparkly? Last night it was like there was glass in it, it was twinkling so much. Looked weird lol

I noticed that too. Perhaps a warmer layer of air above? This perhaps meant that the flakes had refrozen fairly close to the surface but it wasn't heavy enough for them to collide and form big flakes - I'll maybe check this out at some point today.

LS

Posted

Shiny ice crystals forming in the snow I think - I've noticed the snow always looks pretty & sparkly during a good frost, it looks kinda dull if the temp is around zero.

Shiny ice crystals forming in the snow I think - I've noticed the snow always looks pretty & sparkly during a good frost, it looks kinda dull if the temp is around zero.

+++ TOORP ALERT +++ TOORP ALERT +++ TOORP ALERT +++

Will you lot stop talking about snow :unsure: I am so jealous as we haven't had any for at least a week or so.

+++ ALERT END +++

Posted

:unsure: :pardon: Best not look at the rest of this post Catch...

Stuff from the paper about yesterdays SNOW:

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1614593

Includes a video ofthe car which caused gridlock (including stopping a gritter from gritting as it was in the log jam). It was backed up all the way past our office. A lot of horns being leaned on and frustration all round.

Now maybe you can understad my amusment with the CHAOS (in huge letters) on the front of their paper last night.

-5 at 9am this morning, btw.

Edited by LadyPakal

:shok::p Best not look at the rest of this post Catch...

Now maybe you can understad my amusment with the CHAOS (in huge letters) on the front of their paper last night.

-5 at 9am this morning, btw.

Our turn will come. Eventually. Hopefully.

I know it's not finished yet but the 06z is keeping us in the cold, despite the best efforts of low after low after low. Where has spring gone?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning all. I too am going to comment on the snowfall last evening. I have never seen that before but it was absolutely beautiful! It was falling as snow higher up but changed to ice crystals about 2m from ground level. Left everything coated in a sparkling blanket! Looking at the 6z, I would take that! Quite a lot of wrist slitting down south tho' for our southern friends, but it does improve later on. One thing's for sure, it's gonna get cold again!

Morning all. I too am going to comment on the snowfall last evening.

Don't you start. Snow-shmoe, that's all I've got to say.

:rofl:

Anyway, of more concern is this chart showing that winter is over by the 1st of March:

post-2844-12666616293117_thumb.png

:p:p:shok:

Although if you follow the astronomical seasons it still has 19 days after that date....

I hope everyone gets the "joke"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Don't you start. Snow-shmoe, that's all I've got to say.

:lol:

Anyway, of more concern is this chart showing that winter is over by the 1st of March:

Why on earth are you looking at charts like that? You'll only depress yourself! You should be looking at charts like this! post-1989-12666623740217_thumb.png :lol: