Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 24

Posted

I remember the events of March 06 very clearly! We had knee height snow here in dunfermline! You could lay in the middle of main roads and be guaranteed to not get ran over! Are we possibly looking at something along the lines of March 06? :lol::lol:

Posted

Weather advisory out from the Met for Wednesday that covers central and southern parts of Scotland.

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of the UK. Rain spreading north may turn to snow and has the potential to give accumulations of more than 15 cm of fresh snow in places.

Issued at: 1042 Sat 20 Feb

Posted

party time lol good.gif

the metoffice got a Advisory out for the scottish Borders

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of the UK. Rain spreading north may turn to snow and has the potential to give accumulations of more than 15 cm of fresh snow in places.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html?day=5

Posted

Why on earth are you looking at charts like that? You'll only depress yourself! You should be looking at charts like this! post-1989-12666623740217_thumb.png rolleyes.gif

Anyone want to place a bet on how long before this chart vanishes to never never land ??whistling.gif

Why on earth are you looking at charts like that? You'll only depress yourself! You should be looking at charts like this! post-1989-12666623740217_thumb.png :lol:

That would be fine if I lived further north than I do :lol: Much of the precip misses here, but thankfully those charts aren't accurate at this range, usually!!

Posted

Winters Over.

the above is probably not the case, but hey - it's saturday, and I've just had to rebuild my laptop.

Winters Over.

the above is probably not the case, but hey - it's saturday, and I've just had to rebuild my laptop.

:)

I see the winter's over jokes are building; good to see :) (or not quite see)

I thought the white text was something up with my laptop

Ohhh helllooo met office. Your my new best friend! I'll happily take 15cm of snow to end winter with!

That's a shocker, it includes here in the advisory :) :) :)

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

:)

I see the winter's over jokes are building; good to see :) (or not quite see)

I thought the white text was something up with my laptop

What's that saying about little things and small feet.

Or something :)

Baltic conditions in Stirling - I don't think we're above freezing yet, and last night was chilly...disappointed about the southgrading of the event for tomorrow, but I cling desperately to the future northgrade of the event of Thursday :)

PERMISSION TO TOORP SIR ?

(salutes)

Posted

Weather advisory out from the Met for Wednesday that covers central and southern parts of Scotland.

Yes true but that will be southgraded as we get closer to wedensday, all i can say is i love cold and snow but would like to see atlantic win through for a more mobile set up!! Fed up with this non event cold and dry weather we have had over last two week. We do better up here in scotland with a more mobile pattern in winter

Anyone want to place a bet on how long before this chart vanishes to never never land ??whistling.gif

Yes just like GFS has been showing mod/heavy snow forecast for sun evening for here for days now and oh its gone GFS is a waste of space

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Wow, advisory for over 15cm not even mentioning high ground - Gail Mcgrane on Tuesday night -

It's not implausible either - please, please let it not southgrade!

Posted

The Atlantic is well and truely broken this year. We have not had anything significant for months off the Atlantic. Thats very unusual. Basically the whole of winter and no Atlantic.

Wonder how the summer would be if it never returned ??

Posted

Wow, advisory for over 15cm not even mentioning high ground - Gail Mcgrane on Tuesday night -

It's not implausible either - please, please let it not southgrade!

Post of the decade! Hahaha!

Posted

Getting pretty warm here, up to 3.5c! Tuesdays snow which is still lying in the shade will be in danger soon. Nice weather for a walk though :D

Getting pretty warm here, up to 3.5c! Tuesdays snow which is still lying in the shade will be in danger soon. Nice weather for a walk though :)

So it's warming up just in time for the precip to hit you Ross, although it does seem to be fizzling out now :D

Posted

So it's warming up just in time for the precip to hit you Ross, although it does seem to be fizzling out now :(

I can see the cloud to the west as well but i'm not hopeful. There has been some form of precip just been sitting out there all week and barely moving :lol:

I can see the cloud to the west as well but i'm not hopeful. There has been some form of precip just been sitting out there all week and barely moving :lol:

It's on the move now (slooooooooooooooooooowly), and on the fizzle.

Posted

I wonder if the sun is now strong enough to spark off some showers over land? If i didn't know how cold was I could believe it was spring/summer from looking out the window, blue skies with lots of fluffy cumulus!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Well the model thread is doing its best to southgrade the position of the lows shown on the models - thankfully that won't influence the models and I'm certain that the models do a good enough job of disappointing Scotland themselves!

Posted

It's almost as if we are in a win win situation. I feel that if the lows are on a southerly track, one of them will eventually come far enough north to hit the majority of Scotland. Just one is all I ask for! Quite the contrast to summer though, at this point, I think most people would be pleading the lows to go south, now we want them in our back garden! :L

Posted

It's almost as if we are in a win win situation. I feel that if the lows are on a southerly track, one of them will eventually come far enough north to hit the majority of Scotland. Just one is all I ask for! Quite the contrast to summer though, at this point, I think most people would be pleading the lows to go south, now we want them in our back garden! :L

Even in the majority of winters we would want this to happen to establish cold uppers, but since these are in place, it will either be more of the same cold by night and cool by day sunny weather with the odd feature bringing some snow to some or a slightly less cold by night but perhaps colder by day setup with heavy snowfalls!

I bet if it was summer time the lows would be pelting right over us :D

I wonder what the 12z will bring...cool sunshine anyone :D

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

I bet if it was summer time the lows would be pelting right over us :D

I wonder what the 12z will bring...cool sunshine anyone :D

Haha, cool sunshine seems to be the norm for Scotland now. Speaking of sunshine, just a thought, could this February see close to record breaking amounts of sunshine for Scotland? I don't think the sun has went away for atleast 5 days now... besides night time of course.

Haha, cool sunshine seems to be the norm for Scotland now. Speaking of sunshine, just a thought, could this February see close to record breaking amounts of sunshine for Scotland? I don't think the sun has went away for atleast 5 days now... besides night time of course.

I'm not sure what the record across Scotland is but the Paisley record (since 1959: via the Met-O) is 109.4 hours in 1970:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/stationdata/paisleydata.txt

I have had a quick scout through WeatherOnline and Bishopton (not far from Paisley) has had about 45 hours so far this month. An average of about 7 hours a day would be needed to better 1970, so possible, if a little unlikely. Without the fog this week that 1970 record could have been in trouble though.