Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Chat And Moods

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Please correct me if I am wrong SB but I thought your neck of the woods did quite well early January, I'm sure Camberley had at least 15cms and that's not to far away from you is it? whistling.gif

We did do well in early January, but to be pedantic Guildford seemed to get less than surrounding areas such as 23 cm at Fleet and up to 40 cm nearer Petersfield and in parts of West Sussex. Even at Dunsfold near Cranleigh I can see that many trees have been damaged by the weight of snow so depths must have been considerable. I think the current issue is that February has continually failed to deliver the goods in this area, especially with so much promise and that there is the potential for a possible historic event next week or a major disappointment. I know I'm being a tad bit greedy but if the potential is there then it would be great to benefit from it. If the potential wasn't there then I would be pleased with our event in January. Next week may be our last chance to see some decent snow and this may be the last potentially decent winter before things return to normal next year?

Guildford had a good 15 cm by early evening on 6th January so we did well on that occasion and this was the best early January snowfall since 1982 (there were lesser falls in 1985 - 5 cm (Fleet); 1987 - 12 cm (Fleet) and 1994 - 5 cm). Apart from additions on the 13th January (4~5 cm) and a few hours of wet snow on the 20th, the rest of the winter has produced very little snow. Guildford missed the 21st & 23rd December events by a very close margin and there were only dustings on the 18th and 20th.

The 'best' weather of the 2009~2010 winter for this area was in January and my conclusion is that February is becoming a very disappointing month especially if the Midland snowfest - South rainfest comes off next week. A long anticyclonic spell with dry condtions and severe night frosts would have brought pleasant conclusion to this winter and ushered in a lovely sunny start to March.

Sorry about the length of the post but I do enjoy typing biggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Fingers crossed evryone that we get a nice suprise from GFS18z i cant handle anymore rain, lets hope the is slightly furthur south and east ( for my location at least)