Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Chat And Moods

Posted

Not bitter at all lol. I actually live in Poole. The harbour, Brownsea Island, The New Forest. The beautiful beaches of Sandbanks Swanage Weymouth Dorchester steeped in history. I could go on. When you make comments like if you dont like it then move to others, then expect a reaction.

TBF there is no point in complaining about the synoptics if you live an a snow free zone in the first place, you would need something exceptional to get deep snow on the south coast. Even in the best conditions the south coast doesn't do that well so there is no point complaining, get on with it.

The comment i said wasn't even bad - "I think the best option for you is to move further north as you will never do really well you live, you're expectations are too high for you're location".

After all, if I could live anywhere I wanted just for the weather, ignoring other factors, while I'd probably take Norwich over anywhere else in the UK, I'd soon be off on a plane to somewhere on the continent, probably around Munich. But for various reasons, moving there would be very impractical.

How have you done so far this year? Sounds like you have done well, am interested because Norwhich is quite far South, and it would ironic if further south did better that further morth when north is meant to better for snow.

Edited by 10123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Norwich had less snow overall than Cleadon in Tyne and Wear during December and January (athough I was actually at Cleadon for some of the snowy spell). The 17th-23rd December and the 3rd-9th January all saw snow events in Norwich but Norwich itself missed a lot of the shower activity, eventually reaching an aggregate depth of 10-12cm early on the 9th. Then there was another 3-4cm from the northerly on the 29th/30th January.

In the meantime Cleadon had 25cm level snow on the 9th January and around 15cm (with drifts well in excess of 20cm) on the 30th. I missed out on those events, though my parents have photos of them. However, I was at Cleadon between 17 December and 5 January, so I experienced the snow squall overnight 17th/18th, the snow cover on Christmas Day, the thundersnow on New Year's Eve and the 10-12cm on New Year's Day there, so I've still probably had more than my fair share of exciting weather.

In February Norwich appears to have had rather more snow than most northern areas, including Cleadon, as it was caught full in the face by the north-easterly and associated heavy snow showers on the 10th February, giving about 3cm. There was snow here on the 3rd February, again on the 8th February, and again last evening, although on all three occasions the accumulations amounted to a short-lived dusting.

Posted

TBF there is no point in complaining about the synoptics if you live an a snow free zone in the first place, you would need something exceptional to get deep snow on the south coast. Even in the best conditions the south coast doesn't do that well so there is no point complaining, get on with it.

The comment i said wasn't even bad - "I think the best option for you is to move further north as you will never do really well you live, you're expectations are too high for you're location".

If you recall it wasnt me complaining as you put it. Your comments about moving were directed at BB another south coast member. As for snow I admit we do badly I do not expect to get any. Happy to get some, content without.

Posted

If you recall it wasnt me complaining as you put it. Your comments about moving were directed at BB another south coast member. As for snow I admit we do badly I do not expect to get any. Happy to get some, content without.

More thunderstorms for us southerners in summer :lol: :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

How have you done so far this year? Sounds like you have done well, am interested because Norwhich is quite far South, and it would ironic if further south did better that further morth when north is meant to better for snow.

well what aload of rubbish do you live here?

because i have all my life im 35 and in the 80s early 90s i seen some exciting snowfall similar to this january.

:lol:

your the expert here i listen to you.

and yes in recent years we done bad for snow events but remember the jet helps ruin winter we just been unlucky in febuary thats all.

and it is right im the only person complaining about this from the southcoast as ive said we are the minority on netweather.

Edited by badboy657

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Well, things have changed, if it's snow, Yorkshire Dales are a pretty good proposition. PFC will be bust soon so you'll need another team, I hear Leeds got a few decent firms, if your alias is a football reference whistling.gif

Posted

Well, things have changed, if it's snow, Yorkshire Dales are a pretty good proposition. PFC will be bust soon so you'll need another team, I hear Leeds got a few decent firms, if your alias is a football reference whistling.gif

lol yeah thats not a bad idear mind you i dont think id be liked much lol.

anyway 657 is long gone now ofcoarse there still around but just ya average joe now lol.

i dunno though i do like yorkshire puddings though lol,:drinks::good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

More thunderstorms for us southerners in summer :drinks::good:

It depends on whereabouts in the south. Thunderstorms in summer are most frequent in the south-east, East Anglia and Lincolnshire with relatively high frequencies also extending north-west into the Midlands, Yorkshire and southern and eastern Lancashire. Much of the West Country plus central southern England sees fewer summer thunderstorms on average than any of the aforementioned areas- indeed the mean annual frequency of thunder at Exeter is similar to that of Tyne and Wear.

Posted

It depends on whereabouts in the south. Thunderstorms in summer are most frequent in the south-east, East Anglia and Lincolnshire with relatively high frequencies also extending north-west into the Midlands, Yorkshire and southern and eastern Lancashire. Much of the West Country plus central southern England sees fewer summer thunderstorms on average than any of the aforementioned areas- indeed the mean annual frequency of thunder at Exeter is similar to that of Tyne and Wear.

As i said, south of say the wash west, will have more thunder days than those north of said area.

Hope that helps you

Posted

thats one thing that does stick in my memory is the extreme thunderstorms from france coming across the channel watching the radar lol awsome roll on summer lol.

Posted

thats one thing that does stick in my memory is the extreme thunderstorms from france coming across the channel watching the radar lol awsome roll on summer lol.

Indded BB.

Would like another thundersnow event though,remember 28 jan 2004? :)

Indded BB.

Would like another thundersnow event though,remember 28 jan 2004? :D

Oh dear,

i will have another go at;

indeed :)

Posted

Where is the best area to live, North or South? Only one way to find out.

North definitely whistling.gif

Posted

North definitely whistling.gif

If it wasn't full of northerners I would agree with you.

While I'm here what happens to all the members of this forum with winter related names, do they clear off and go into hibernation when the snow stops?

Edited by John London

Posted

If it wasn't full of northerners I would agree with you.

While I'm here what happens to all the members of this forum with winter related names, do they clear off and go into hibernation when the snow stops?

Stick around for a few seasons and you will have your answer :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

By north I assume we're talking about England, because to us northern Britain starts at around Edinburgh landmass wise!

Posted

Using the "ruler" treatment for north-south, I think the centre of Britain is somewhere around Hexham if I remember rightly. The centre of England is probably somewhere around Nottingham.

However the UK is much "wider" further south, so if we were to take it in proportion to the land mass, we'd probably find those centres coming out further south- maybe around Leeds-ish for central Britain and the Leicester/Coventry area for central England.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Got it. Any towns where they eat chips with curry sauce, or think mushy peas are edible are probably not worth moving to. If they eat Jellied Eels or Pie and Mash they're the salt of the earth.

I live between Tenterden and Hastings and I love mushy peas!! Mnn yummy! - eat the mushy peas with frozen (then gently steamed) peas (plus added mint) and then make some homemade fried chips and eat the lot with imported German curry sauce (on the chips) along with a nice fresh piece of fish (or a roasted chicken quarter)good.gif

Jellied eels (eeew!) btw are eaten by a lot of 'DFL's in Hastingssmile.gif

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

As i said, south of say the wash west, will have more thunder days than those north of said area.

Hope that helps you

That rule of thumb only works when comparing locations east of a line approximately extending from Reading to Newcastle. Otherwise, it is wrong- for example by your argument anywhere south of the Wash would get more thunder days than Manchester, but in fact pretty much everywhere south of the Wash from Reading westwards gets less thunder days than Manchester.

The above also indicates that you can't extend the generalisation to "anywhere north of the Wash gets less thunder days than further south if you draw a line due north" because that would imply that Bristol gets more thunder days than Manchester, when it doesn't.

You can argue your case from the MetO's "1961-90 and 1971-2000 average thunder frequency" maps but unlike their other similar products, the thunder maps are far too generalised, probably as a result of having only a relatively sparse set of reliable thunder data to derive them from. (And even those maps, for example, show greater thunder frequency at Lincoln than at Exeter).

Posted

Further to this, I've produced a hand-drawn map showing, from my knowledge, approximately what the average UK thunder frequency is:

post-7-12663663862317_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

When is this dull, damp, chilly weather going to change? It's cold enough to make you think :D if you're outside but not cold enough for anything wintery, not even frost. The Sun's been hidden behind clouds for what feels like an eternity now; seriously fed up with this weather now.

On the subject of Mushy Peas.... hot pork pie, served in the middle of a sea of mushy peas with mint sauce....I've only ever seen this served in pubs in Leeds (lots of pubs in Leeds) anyone else ever encountered this elsewhere?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Sunny and frozen here, a lovely winter morning. But it's clouding over and the snowy Peak District is out of sight.

Posted

Further to this, I've produced a hand-drawn map showing, from my knowledge, approximately what the average UK thunder frequency is:

post-7-12663663862317_thumb.jpg

Oh look there's a nice hole with less thunder frequency over me! can't say I'm too surprised that's probably about right, these things usually seem to avoid me somehow, Even if that means being in an exam when we finally get a decent thunderstorm!:unsure:laugh.gif

Overall I'm pretty happy with the models at the moment showing this cool/cold, frosty and potentially wintry weather.. I wouldn't mind it if we could get a little system tracking through the English channel one night.

Posted

Well having read two pages of geographical preferences, I had to do a double take to make sure this was the Model mood thread ( By the way, one place I wouldn't like to live is the SE, any where but there so to speak ). Back on topic, tomorrow night is indeed looking like giving my location a good dumping of snow, but I have a feeling this front won't make it as far North as Cheshire. Still in the reliable time frame, plenty of opportunities for a snow event.

Posted

Oh look there's a nice hole with less thunder frequency over me! can't say I'm too surprised that's probably about right, these things usually seem to avoid me somehow, Even if that means being in an exam when we finally get a decent thunderstorm!:rolleyes:laugh.gif

Overall I'm pretty happy with the models at the moment showing this cool/cold, frosty and potentially wintry weather.. I wouldn't mind it if we could get a little system tracking through the English channel one night.

That "hole" was intended to be centred just to the east of you, and might be a bit exaggerated, but it's true that there is an area to the east of Dartmoor that misses out on a lot of the West Country storms plus the storms that affect areas further east, suggesting lower thunder frequency of about 7 or 8 days per year. Will Hand at Haytor quite often seems to report thunderstorms that Exeter misses out on.

Talking of thunderstorms, there's a surprising potential for them this Thursday in East Anglia and the southeast with a pulse of convective precipitation moving up from the SW- could be quite active. Friday, Saturday and Sunday might surprise quite a lot of people with some homegrown convection likely to affect eastern areas, though not as vigorous as we might expect from a similar setup in April.