Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

freezing up here

might be freezing up there in ponty but magor ais at sea level and it`s not freezing there!

Posted

might be freezing up there in ponty but magor ais at sea level and it`s not freezing there!

I know - the nae predictions may well have snow for you in the early hours when the temp decreases if it's right

Posted

yeh, just checked the caldicot weather station and it says 3.4 degrees.... still feels bluming cold though lol. Never mind, always next year.

Ignore it - erroneous for West Country.

This has just been posted by Ian Ferguson in the south west thread.

To clarify (I just did on the 'phone with UKMO after reading this!) -

Transition zone is possibly - possibly - northern parts of Glos for our region (to snow).

Elsewhere, it's a rain gig.

The advisory remains in force solely because of the 40% PROB delimitation but nothing more sinister than that. Incidentally, this initial weak feature running northwards at the moment (the returning, redesignated warm front) will probably bring some light snow down to 200-300m (or sleet) but either way poses a real ice risk - our major concern tonight and tomorrow. It's not to be confused with the primary PPN feature still to arrive in the morning. This is expected to offer mostly rain, albeit the latest run does enhance the snow signal somewhat for SE Midlands, not so much for us.... with that N Glos potential remaining the exception.

This post has been edited by Ian

This has just been posted in the south west thread by Ian Ferguson the bbc weather man.

Edited by alijoe

Posted

yeh, just checked the caldicot weather station and it says 3.4 degrees.... still feels bluming cold though lol. Never mind, always next year.

Ignore it - erroneous for West Country.

This has just been posted by Ian Ferguson in the south west thread.

To clarify (I just did on the 'phone with UKMO after reading this!) -

Transition zone is possibly - possibly - northern parts of Glos for our region (to snow).

Elsewhere, it's a rain gig.

The advisory remains in force solely because of the 40% PROB delimitation but nothing more sinister than that. Incidentally, this initial weak feature running northwards at the moment (the returning, redesignated warm front) will probably bring some light snow down to 200-300m (or sleet) but either way poses a real ice risk - our major concern tonight and tomorrow. It's not to be confused with the primary PPN feature still to arrive in the morning. This is expected to offer mostly rain, albeit the latest run does enhance the snow signal somewhat for SE Midlands, not so much for us.... with that N Glos potential remaining the exception.

This post has been edited by Ian

This has just been posted in the south west thread by Ian Ferguson the bbc weather man.

nice one Ali - well we watch and wait - don't sound fantastic - but and it's a big but - he never referred to what Wales might get - he sometimes does - so we are still in the "fuzzy" not sure zone

Posted

nice one Ali - well we watch and wait - don't sound fantastic - but and it's a big but - he never referred to what Wales might get - he sometimes does - so we are still in the "fuzzy" not sure zone

lol ok, we will wait. Actually I don't think anyone really knows do they? we will just wait and see.

Posted

lol ok, we will wait. Actually I don't think anyone really knows do they? we will just wait and see.

well here's the extreme - probably won't happen but - last year one of these fronts was coming out of france up to us and was only programmed to "tickle" us and not bother Wales at all - well I got up the morning of the event and instead of nothing at all - we had a 12 hour snowfest - Derek's blushes on bbc wales today later that day were something - it can and might happen - reason why the models are all over the place - they are sooooooooooo unsure - if you got the raintoday radar on Ali - scroll down to France and take a look at what's heading our way - it's massive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

well here's the extreme - probably won't happen but - last year one of these fronts was coming out of france up to us and was only programmed to "tickle" us and not bother Wales at all - well I got up the morning of the event and instead of nothing at all - we had a 12 hour snowfest - Derek's blushes on bbc wales today later that day were something - it can and might happen - reason why the models are all over the place - they are sooooooooooo unsure - if you got the raintoday radar on Ali - scroll down to France and take a look at what's heading our way - it's massive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well snow or no snow tomorrow - was lovely up on Caerphilly Mountain this afternoon

post-11218-12667860019017_thumb.jpg

post-11218-12667860230917_thumb.jpg

post-11218-12667860449317_thumb.jpg

post-11218-12667860670217_thumb.jpg

Posted

Well snow or no snow tomorrow - was lovely up on Caerphilly Mountain this afternoon

Nice pics Steve - sort of what I've got in the way of snow up here too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and warm summers

Hi Andy. Checked out raintoday yesterday after your message. Thanks for that. The stuff heading our way from france looks good - I know that it will fall as rain in cardiff tho wallbash.gif . Cardiff barrage showing 4.3oC with dew point of 2.3oC. Not good enough!

The front looks to be heading towards us however, and may well fall as snow on higher ground. I'm considering a seasonal house-swap for next winter. Interested Andy?

Posted

I saw that about 5 mins ago Andy and was wondering if it could come our way.... It would be fantastic to get something out of this. Will keep my eye onit. keep me updated. lol

Hi Andy. Checked out raintoday yesterday after your message. Thanks for that. The stuff heading our way from france looks good - I know that it will fall as rain in cardiff tho wallbash.gif . Cardiff barrage showing 4.3oC with dew point of 2.3oC. Not good enough!

The front looks to be heading towards us however, and may well fall as snow on higher ground. I'm considering a seasonal house-swap for next winter. Interested Andy?

lol, noooooo I have already said I would buy his place if he sales it.

Posted

Coldest night since January 10th by the looks,already down to -3.2c

Looks like a colder day tomorrow with an E/NE wind and cloudy morning,but now sunny afternoon,lows will be diving into France the way its going!!!

S-ly jet over Southern Spain and Africa currently,notice Derrick brockaway say if your wondering where the jet is then,thats where it is,I`m going to watch The day after tomorrow for the 2nd time one of these days,now why did I say that lol.

Snowcover looks safe for a good few days yet,nothing mild coming just :unsure: is all I see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/blizzard

any more snow on the way tonight/tomorrow?? if so where in the uk?

Edited by dyl232

Posted

I suppose there could be a new business idea here - a viewing complex with refreshments mmmmmmmmmmmmm - I'll work on it for next year - Joe B is convinced we'll get winters like this and worse (better for snow) for the next couple of decades as the earth is in a cooling cycle due to solar minima

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Well fingers crossed. Funny though, the snow gritters are all out tonight, just drove past my front door, then saw 2 on the main road when I nipped to the shops..... do they know something we don't? I blumming well hope so unknw.gif

When I stayed in Wales last week the gritters seemed to be out every night even though it snowed on 2 days out of the 5 I was there lol. I wouldn't take the gritters doing the rounds as a sign of snow on the way. More of an ice risk I think.

Posted

any more snow on the way tonight/tomorrow?? if so where in the uk?

the front coming up from france is an unknown quantity at the mo - not sure how far north it's gonna get and how it's gonna play out

Posted

When I stayed in Wales last week the gritters seemed to be out every night even though it snowed on 2 days out of the 5 I was there lol. I wouldn't take the gritters doing the rounds as a sign of snow on the way. More of an ice risk I think.

Well, I can always practice my Dancing on Ice I suppose lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Well, I can always practice my Dancing on Ice I suppose lol

Haha :lol: It could snow there but I would say at the moment the chances are about 15% so quite small.

The PPN is further West than expected at this stage I think, so that is better news for South Wales but I think on the coasts and under 200m will be of rain i'm afraid :p Andy up at 250m could see some snow from it though.

Posted

slight nail in our coffin - GFS 18z refuses to get on board the snowtrain for Wales - it's not sending any of that heavy ppn to Wales - booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

but the meto and bbc with Derek doesn't want to give us that - they still have the advisories out

Haha biggrin.gif It could snow there but I would say at the moment the chances are about 15% so quite small.

The PPN is further West than expected at this stage I think, so that is better news for South Wales but I think on the coasts and under 200m will be of rain i'm afraid sad.gif Andy up at 250m could see some snow from it though.

hope so Andy - I gotta be honest on this one - I don't know who to believe as to whether this is gonna hit us or notunknw.gif

Posted

slight nail in our coffin - GFS 18z refuses to get on board the snowtrain for Wales - it's not sending any of that heavy ppn to Wales - booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

but the meto and bbc with Derek doesn't want to give us that - they still have the advisories out

Well good old Derek. lol But, think I have accepted it now, I am looking forward to having an early night as opposed to radar and lamp post watching lol.

Posted

Hi guys i just been looking at the radar and i think the weather heading up to uk will not touch wales,i think it will head towards reading and east.

i may be wrong but i get a feeling by watching the radar it does seem to be heading that way, but it is very cold here.

Posted

I gotta be honest on this one - I don't know who to believe as to whether this is gonna hit us or notunknw.gif

Go on Andy which version do you THINK it is going to be (not who you hope it will be)?

Posted

Well good old Derek. lol But, think I have accepted it now, I am looking forward to having an early night as opposed to radar and lamp post watching lol.

the heavy ppn isn't sposed to get to us till early hours of the morning - may be 4 or 5am if at all - so may be an early night would be better and then set your alarm clocks for an early call

Go on Andy which version do you THINK it is going to be (not who you hope it will be)?

It's all to do with how much this front develops as it approaches us - this is how it happened last year, last feb, catching everyone out - I'm not saying it's gonna happen this time mind - I'm afraid I'm gonna have to sit on the fence a bit right now - this one is a radar and nowcasting event - if you are feeling full of beans stay up and watch the action - I would have thought by about 2am we'll be able to make the final call as to whether it's coming to Wales or not

Posted

the heavy ppn isn't sposed to get to us till early hours of the morning - may be 4 or 5am if at all - so may be an early night would be better and then set your alarm clocks for an early call

You trying to get rid of me? rofl.gif Yes I am going to have an early night, after my Desperate housewifes its beddy byes for me and I will wake up to a wonderful, white, winter wonderland laugh.gif Not. lol

Posted

You trying to get rid of me? rofl.gif Yes I am going to have an early night, after my Desperate housewifes its beddy byes for me and I will wake up to a wonderful, white, winter wonderland laugh.gif Not. lol

I wouldn't dare - if you really need a snow fix - turn bbc 2 on

Posted

Andy on the fence!!!!!!biggrin.gif

I'm not staying up til 2 tonight. I'll be long fast asleep by then.lazy.gif

Although if I wake in the night I won't be able to resist a peek.