Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Hi everyone, just a quick message before I retire:

Because of some recent copyyright issues we've had wrt the posting of Traffic cam images, can I ask that no more are posted until further notice please?

Posting a link to the site is OK, but please try not to use any of the actual images.

Hopefully, the situation will be resolved asap.

Anyway, best of luck everyone

Brian :)

Posted

Heavy snow here, easing off a bit in the last 10 minutes

Posted

Morning all well it did snow but if im honest,it was quite heavy and did stick,but nothing to shout and dance about and its raining as i type,so what is here is going very fast,i hope it either all goes soon so my sons rugby game is on or it snows lots and it is called off. hate it when its called off for just this amount.so is there anything for today? and what is the situation for monday now has it changed or is it still on?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

No snow here, just had rain/sleet overnight

Posted

No snow here, just had rain/sleet overnight

well more possible tomorrow mate - snow that is

Edited by andymusic

Posted

BBC news24 also now going for snow for Wales for most of the day tomorrow

I think it will need a huge overnight freeze to have any chance tomorrow Andy. Just been outside and the sound of water dripping everywhere is amazing - don't think whats down will be here after dinner at this rate and when I woke earlier this morning @ 2am it was blizzard like however you define it outside- can't believe how much its melting already - few quick snaps below just to illustrate taken this morning @ 8:30

post-11218-12667421371117_thumb.jpg

post-11218-12667421499917_thumb.jpg

post-11218-12667421740817_thumb.jpg

post-11218-12667421884517_thumb.jpg

Posted

snowing here again

I think it will need a huge overnight freeze to have any chance tomorrow Andy. Just been outside and the sound of water dripping everywhere is amazing - don't think whats down will be here after dinner at this rate and when I woke earlier this morning @ 2am it was blizzard like however you define it outside- can't believe how much its melting already - few quick snaps below just to illustrate taken this morning @ 8:30

GFS has got us dropping to -3 tonight Steve - will snow most of the day tomorrow as the cold air will dig in a little

snowing heavy here now

snow is not progged till early hours of the morning - giving it a chance to freeze

Edited by andymusic

Posted

snowing here again

GFS has got us dropping to -3 tonight Steve - will snow most of the day tomorrow as the cold air will dig in a little

snowing heavy here now

turned round from my computer to look outside and is snowing quite heavily here now aswel but big heavy wet flakes. Met Office warnings are only in place for East Wales (Newport / Monmouth etc) tomorrow and N Wales for Wednesday at the moment.

Posted

turned round from my computer to look outside and is snowing quite heavily here now aswel but big heavy wet flakes. Met Office warnings are only in place for East Wales (Newport / Monmouth etc) tomorrow and N Wales for Wednesday at the moment.

news 24 forecasts are now taking on the new data from the gfs 00z which pushes the front further north into wales and gives us another load of snow

rart_10022206_2100.gif?a390de7dd0922eaa7ad0a63f01f38e29

BBC are briefed by the meto so expect upgrades on the warnings shortly

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl

Hi Steve,

You must have woke me up - I awoke at 2am and came down to see the snow in full flow. I am disappointed to have woken up just before 9am to the same 2 inches starting to melt a you said but my weather station showing 6.2 degrees and rain. However, that was 20 minutes ago - the temperature is now 3.1 degrees and big lumps of sleet falling!

I too cannot see the snow lasting tomorrow as the milder air gradually day by day seems to be making further incursions northwards each time we get a low pressure coming in before getting pushed back. We need the cold air to dig south and establish itself over us again.

Dripp drip drip - but white at the moment - is this my last lying snow of the winter?

Steve, I will toot when I go pass you later as I am coming over to Peny Bont behind you to see my niece who is 9 today. Clear a path for me?

JK

Edited by CRACKPOT

Posted

Hi Steve,

You must have woke me up - I awoke at 2am and came down to see the snow in full flow. I am disappointed to have woken up to the same 2 inches starting to melt a you said but my thermometer showing 6.2 degrees and rain. However, that was 20 minutes ago - the temperature is now 3.1 degrees and big lumps of sleet falling!

I too cannot see the snow lasting tomorrow as the milder air gradually day by day seems to be making further incursions northwards each time we get a low pressure coming in before getting pushed back. We need the cold air to dig south and establish itself over us again.

Dripp drip drip - but white at the moment - is this my last lying snow of the winter?

Steve, I will toot when I go pass you later as I am coming over to Peny Bont behind you to see my niece who is 9 today. Clear a path for me?

JK

I think there are still gonna be some good battleground scenarios and the cold is still gonna put up a fight - the mild will not win that easily

In wales with the mountains and in this set up being on the western side of the country we are in the ideal location to benefit from this synoptic set up

admittedlly temps will be up again today - which will cause some snow melt - but they will crash again tonight to -3 and the the snow will come again about 4 - 5 ish in the morning and continue well into tomorrow afternoon - keeping day temps down with the front over us

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Hi Steve,

You must have woke me up - I awoke at 2am and came down to see the snow in full flow. I am disappointed to have woken up just before 9am to the same 2 inches starting to melt a you said but my weather station showing 6.2 degrees and rain. However, that was 20 minutes ago - the temperature is now 3.1 degrees and big lumps of sleet falling!

JK

Hi John - will do mate

Beautiful sunshine and blue sky here now - ideal for taking photos - if you see a guy in a hoody wandering around the estate with a camera that'll be me on the way up to the mountain.

Hopefully it will be around long enough today to take advantage - always threaten to take a photo of that beautiful derelict manor house between Machen and Rhiwderin on the way to work in the snow - not sure if the snow reached that far East and closer to the coast last night but think this could be my chance.

Posted

Had a good covering of snow last night smile.gif But starting to melt away now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

snowing here again

snowing heavy here now

snow is not progged till early hours of the morning - giving it a chance to freeze

GFS progs -3, UKMO progs above freezing

U24-580.GIF?21-06

Posted

GFS progs -3, UKMO progs above freezing

U24-580.GIF?21-06

who's right - i'm not trusting any of them too much right now - just going with the general trends - the detail is sorted with nowcasting/radar - who knows how far north the front will get into wales bbc news 24 has it into mid wales - latest gfs has it only into se wales meto only has advisories for se wales BUT advises it's met office bbc forecasters/news 24 - nae has another idea about it too

this one is nowcasting

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Got up at 10 - the snow's just about gone here. But there's a load of very low cloud just come over Caerphilly mountain.

Posted

who's right - i'm not trusting any of them too much right now - just going with the general trends - the detail is sorted with nowcasting/radar - who knows how far north the front will get into wales bbc news 24 has it into mid wales - latest gfs has it only into se wales meto only has advisories for se wales BUT advises it's met office bbc forecasters/news 24 - nae has another idea about it too

this one is nowcasting

Pretty much what Ian Fergusson is saying in his latest Blog

"It's very important to stress some key differences between various models in their handling of Monday's evolution and associated snow potential. Some paint little or no snow whatsoever across southern England; whereas others - including the latest Met Office NAE and USA's GFS - suggest otherwise.

Between these two, there are differences in the regional bias of snow risk, albeit crucially the actual variance is not significant if considering the resolution of the models."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Nice sunny morning, no snow here, but i can see plenty of snow in the distance on the mountains.