Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I'm afraid it looks a little more high ground orientated this time Jay - how did you get on last night - the radar showed plenty of precip going over cardiff

Crap lol, it must have rained about an inch before it snowed for 30 mins,

Posted

Crap lol, it must have rained about an inch before it snowed for 30 mins,

30 mins of snow is better than nowt at all - but I know what you really want - if it's any consolation - the general consensus is that these sorts of winters will continue with the solar flare activity decreasing and the earth will continue to cool over the coming couple of decades so if you don't get any more laying snow (and winter still ain't over yet) this winter - then there are some interesting winters on the horizon as the cooling continues.

I would also say a visit up to the Beacons for your snow needs might be a good idea too if you can get there - there will be loads up there right now and over the next few days

Posted

30 mins of snow is better than nowt at all - but I know what you really want - if it's any consolation - the general consensus is that these sorts of winters will continue with the solar flare activity decreasing and the earth will continue to cool over the coming couple of decades so if you don't get any more laying snow (and winter still ain't over yet) this winter - then there are some interesting winters on the horizon as the cooling continues.

Yep, we will see what happens this week....looking good for you mate this week.

Posted

Yep, we will see what happens this week....looking good for you mate this week.

your welcome to come and enjoy what i have - no probs jay

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

so what is happening snow wise guys?

Posted

so what is happening snow wise guys?

METO have updated their warnings again Wales is more in the warning area now for tomorrow and another fresh warning has appeared for tuesday now also

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

possiblly another half a foot of snow between monday and tuesday in places

Wales: Blaenau Gwent Caerphilly Merthyr Tydfil Monmouthshire Newport Rhondda Cynon Taff Torfaen

Heavy Snow Mon 22 Feb

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of England and Wales. Rain spreading north may turn to snow and has the potential to give accumulations of 2 to 5 cm in places, with in excess of 7cm on high ground.

Issued at: 1103 Sun 21 Feb

Wales: Blaenau Gwent Caerphilly Carmarthenshire Ceredigion Conwy Denbighshire Flintshire Gwynedd Merthyr Tydfil Monmouthshire Powys Rhondda Cynon Taff Torfaen Wrexham

Heavy Snow Tue 23 Feb

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of England and Wales. Rain moving northwards is likely to turn to snow giving further falls of 2 to 5 cm, with perhaps as much as 10cm in places, especially on high ground.

Issued at: 1128 Sun 21 Feb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

I think i might have to wait till next winter now for snow as doubt we will get any this week, as being fairly low down and closeish to the coast. Starting to look foward to spring and summer now though.

Edited by Deepsnow

Posted

I think i might have to wait till next winter now for snow as doubt we will get any this week, as being fairly low down and closeish to the coast. Starting to look foward to spring and summer now though.

[/quote

It's been a long winter hasn't it - I still think there will be some surprises before winter finally releases it's grip - even for you deepsnow

Posted

I saw the families playing up on the Brecon Beacons the other week, it so lovely to see people enjoying themselves. I coudlnt believe how many people were parked up by the Nant Ddu and the laughter was lovely to hear. Maerdy mountain is very white this afternoon, My mother in law used to say if it hangs around the mountains - your gonna have more.

Posted

I saw the families playing up on the Brecon Beacons the other week, it so lovely to see people enjoying themselves. I coudlnt believe how many people were parked up by the Nant Ddu and the laughter was lovely to hear. Maerdy mountain is very white this afternoon, My mother in law used to say if it hangs around the mountains - your gonna have more.

yep - snow shoes - more on the way

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

To be honest I can't see much in the way of snow for Wales tomorrow. The band is struggling to make it to the West Midlands on most charts so what hope does Wales have?

Posted

To be honest I can't see much in the way of snow for Wales tomorrow. The band is struggling to make it to the West Midlands on most charts so what hope does Wales have?

It really depends how far north the low comes - and the meto's update of the advisory gives it a bit more of a chance for my part of Wales

Edited by andymusic

Perfectly said last night was our last chance of snow to settle everything was inplace ,just temps was a fraction to high.

I do hope we are wrong though. :)

However, even if last nights event was a few hours later, we would have had lying snow.

But after the winter we have had, I am starting move on from looking for snow. If it happens great, but some nice early spring sunshine would be most welcome, actually today isn't that bad.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

I do hope we are wrong though. :whistling:

However, even if last nights event was a few hours later, we would have had lying snow.

But after the winter we have had, I am starting move on from looking for snow. If it happens great, but some nice early spring sunshine would be most welcome, actually today isn't that bad.

Last night temperatures went up to much ahead of the front it was 3.1C here at one point. However it did drop as heavier precipitation moved in and we had a couple of mins of heavy wet snow.

Was up Mynydd y Gwair this morning (373m) was a decent covering of snow up there.

EDIT- Included Met Office Forecast for Wales:

This Evening and Tonight:

Most parts should start dry and clear with temperatures soon falling below freezing. Rain should spread into South Wales overnight, which is expected to turn to sleet or snow in places, especially on high ground. Minimum temperature -3 °C.

Monday:

North Wales will start dry and frosty. Outbreaks of rain, sleet or snow across South Wales should clear during the morning, with all parts should then being dry and bright. Maximum temperature 5 °C.

Updated: 1449 on Sun 21 Feb 2010

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wl/wl_forecast_weather.html

Edited by SnowStorm(Jamie)

Posted

Weird weather warning for uk wednesday south uk snow central uk snow swales nothing wonder how warning for south uk and not us?

Last night temperatures went up to much ahead of the front it was 3.1C here at one point. However it did drop as heavier precipitation moved in and we had a couple of mins of heavy wet snow.

Was up Mynydd y Gwair this morning (373m) was a decent covering of snow up there.

EDIT- Included Met Office Forecast for Wales:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wl/wl_forecast_weather.html

If the front pushed through a bit later, temps would have dropped below freezing, and things w( c )ould have been a bit different. It's all ifs and buts though.

Not surprised there is snow at that altitude, can see quite a bit of snow on mountains in the distance.

Posted

well the gfs 12z doesn't even want to give us a drop of the snow forecast by the meto for tomorrow - another twist - bit like eastenders

Weird weather warning for uk wednesday south uk snow central uk snow swales nothing wonder how warning for south uk and not us?

The warnings for southern England, are for heavy rain.

Latest NAE and GFS not that promising for snow for Wales tomorrow, the heaviest precipitation too far east.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prty&HH=36&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&WMO=

Posted

Well I think the GFS 12z has been on drugs or on something - it's totally re-written this weeks weather in one run - not convinced this is right

I'll give GFS 12z up to say t12 believe ability - anything after that is just speculation

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

If the front pushed through a bit later, temps would have dropped below freezing, and things w©ould have been a bit different. It's all ifs and buts though.

Not surprised there is snow at that altitude, can see quite a bit of snow on mountains in the distance.

Thats true, looking at the latest NAE it brings the front a little further NW:

http://expert.weathe...022206_2112.gif

http://expert.weathe...022206_2112.gif < Dew points below freezing

Latest UKMO also shows the front going in to SE Wales:

http://www.meteociel...8-594.GIF?21-17

So i suppose for those in SE Wales snow with some elevation although it doesnt look as intense as shown previously....

Posted

Did you end up with any snow last night- today?

yep - still got loads too

Well the meto aren't going with the GFS 12z -

1612 advisory update keeps the warning over the same areas in Wales - so, if they are right - means the rest of the gfs run - well all of it - is rubbish - wrong at the beginning - mega wrong further down the line - what a mess! - whose gonna be right

Posted

yep - still got loads too

Well the meto aren't going with the GFS 12z -

1612 advisory update keeps the warning over the same areas in Wales - so, if they are right - means the rest of the gfs run - well all of it - is rubbish - wrong at the beginning - mega wrong further down the line - what a mess! - whose gonna be right

We just had the rain last night...nothing else, looks like another blasting heading your way from the Met Office updates. Hope it comes off smile.gif

Posted

any more snow for my area carms/pembs