Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Just had a look at the latest NAE (06z).. on this the front doesnt come as far West but should still effect parts of SE Wales, also appears to be not as much snow as some of the previous runs suggested.

http://expert.weathe...022212_2106.gif < NAE 06Z run

http://expert.weathe...022212_2100.gif < NAE 0Z run

The 0z NAE run has the front allot further West- Although what remains the same is snow on the northern flank of this front as it hits in to the colder air.

Edited by SnowStorm(Jamie)

Posted

Just had a look at the latest NAE (06z).. on this the front doesnt come as far West but should still effect parts of SE Wales, also appears to be not as much snow as some of the previous runs suggested.

http://expert.weathe...022212_2106.gif < NAE 06Z run

http://expert.weathe...022212_2100.gif < NAE 0Z run

The 0z NAE run has the front allot further West- Although what remains the same is snow on the northern flank of this front as it hits in to the colder air.

news 24 10.30am forecast - 10cms snow south and mid wales from 4-5am to about middle of tomorrow afternoon - no change there - regardless of nae etc etc

includes the midlands also

Big flakes of snow at times, then sleet, then heavy rain and breezy. Horrible cold wet night. High ground could see alot of snow!

I was looking out of the window around this time last night, and at the lamppost and it looked like snow coming down. It was rather damp though when I got us this morning.

If this front pushed in during the December/January cold spell, it would have all been snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

I was looking out of the window around this time last night, and at the lamppost and it looked like snow coming down. It was rather damp though when I got us this morning.

If this front pushed in during the December/January cold spell, it would have all been snow.

Yes, just too warm here near the coast, it's already a pleasant 6 degrees

Posted

We had snow over night in Aberdare, I had a look around 3 and it was coming down quite thick and fast and then looked again at 9 and it was starting to melt, its nearly all gone now that the sun is shining and I dont want anymore lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

We had snow over night in Aberdare, I had a look around 3 and it was coming down quite thick and fast and then looked again at 9 and it was starting to melt, its nearly all gone now that the sun is shining and I dont want anymore lol

That is a shame :o My cousins would have loved to have played in the snow today but if its melting rapidly then they probably didn't get much chance. There might be a bit more at the top of Cwmdare hill where they live though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Temp 7.8C and everything is slowly drying, whats happening with any snow tomorrow? still only the far SE that will get it?

Posted

Yes, there might, but im not far from Cwmdare and the sun is out . Maybe tomorrow your cousins can play in the snow if I am on my way to work in Cardiff and Aberdare gets hit by a load of snow lol

Edited by welshy

Yes, just too warm here near the coast, it's already a pleasant 6 degrees

In retrospect, the front would have had to come in later for us last night, Saturday morning was very frosty, but temps were never able to get close enough to freezing.

I can also see all future snow events for the next week being even more marginal for us, so while falling snow is possible, settling snow may now have to wait until next winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Yes, there might, but im not far from Cwmdare and the sun is out . Maybe tomorrow your cousins can play in the snow if I am on my way to work in Cardiff and Aberdare gets hit by a load of snow lol

Haha yes :o Do you catch the valley line train to work? When I was waiting at Aberdare train station on Thursday afternoon to catch the train to Abercynon to join my uncle at work it was abssooolutely chucking it down with snow. It was weird though because it wasn't settling in Aberdare but when the train went through Fernhill there was about an inch on the ground :o

Posted
whistling.gif spring is not far away i can feel the warmth of the sun getting stronger working outside all day most daysrolleyes.gif

Posted

Temp 7.8C and everything is slowly drying, whats happening with any snow tomorrow? still only the far SE that will get it?

to be honest models and forecasters are all over the place - nowcsting and radar and my favourite "head out of the window" methods will be required if you fancy staying up till the early hours

No we take the car so hopefully they will have grit the A470.

A470 won't be a problem right now

Edited by andymusic

Posted

I dont want another 3 hour journey home like a few weeks ago Andy, the A470 was a complete night mare and the Monday Morning a few weeks back there was a pile up of 10 cars at Abercynon due to ice. Thanks for the infor Andy but they just said on BBc that the snow will arrive during rush hour and you know what pepople are like when it snowing on the A470 lol cc_confused.gif

Edited by welshy

Posted

I dont want another 3 hour journey home like a few weeks ago Andy, the A470 was a complete night mare and the Monday Morning a few weeks back there was a pile up of 10 cars at Abercynon due to ice. Thanks for the infor Andy but they just said on BBc that the snow will arrive during rush hour and you know what pepople are like when it snowing on the A470 lol cc_confused.gif

I never understand why people don't adjust their speed and the way they drive - but I suppose to cause an accident it only takes one person who hasn't quite woken up properly and who isn't paying attention enough to cause a complete mess. I tend to avoid driving whenever it gets that bad - I would rather not get involved! - and I love my car too much too

Posted

My husband always says some people in the mornings are still half asleep whilst driving. A lot of people using mobile phones and women putting make up on too whilst driving. Lets just hope that the weather doesnt get that bad either and add to it.

Posted

METO have updated their warnings again Wales is more in the warning area now for tomorrow and another fresh warning has appeared for tuesday now also

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

possiblly another half a foot of snow between monday and tuesday in places

Wales: Blaenau Gwent Caerphilly Merthyr Tydfil Monmouthshire Newport Rhondda Cynon Taff Torfaen

Heavy Snow Mon 22 Feb

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of England and Wales. Rain spreading north may turn to snow and has the potential to give accumulations of 2 to 5 cm in places, with in excess of 7cm on high ground.

Issued at: 1103 Sun 21 Feb

Wales: Blaenau Gwent Caerphilly Carmarthenshire Ceredigion Conwy Denbighshire Flintshire Gwynedd Merthyr Tydfil Monmouthshire Powys Rhondda Cynon Taff Torfaen Wrexham

Heavy Snow Tue 23 Feb

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of England and Wales. Rain moving northwards is likely to turn to snow giving further falls of 2 to 5 cm, with perhaps as much as 10cm in places, especially on high ground.

Issued at: 1128 Sun 21 Feb

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Yup Advisory out for parts of Wales tomorrow on the Met Office website.

Will have to wait for the model updates later now to see how far west this front is going to effect.

Edited by SnowStorm(Jamie)

Posted

Where you see a foot andy? 17cm is not a foot and that's providing the maximum amount of snow falls and settles with no problem, Woke up at 6 had 4cm of snow on the ground its all gone now but the mountains around are still white however, I think people need to define what blizzards are, I had heavier precipitation over me last night compared to you according to the radar yet I wouldn't have called it a blizzard. Its stupid that we are shouting Blizzard and nonsense like that and it makes is look pathetic as a nation. Yes it was heavy snow but it was wet and nothing special compared to the snow we've had I fail to see the excitement for last nights event, My take on Monday no snow from Blaenafon south its just too mild, we haven't got real cold air entrenched, day time highs are getting to high and so on so any settling snow has a lot to battle. However I do disagree with jackone saying settling snow is unlikely until next winter because of the end of February begninning of March in 2006 and and also Easter in April 2008 it does happen.

Posted

Where you see a foot andy? 17cm is not a foot and that's providing the maximum amount of snow falls and settles with no problem, Woke up at 6 had 4cm of snow on the ground its all gone now but the mountains around are still white however, I think people need to define what blizzards are, I had heavier precipitation over me last night compared to you according to the radar yet I wouldn't have called it a blizzard. Its stupid that we are shouting Blizzard and nonsense like that and it makes is look pathetic as a nation. Yes it was heavy snow but it was wet and nothing special compared to the snow we've had I fail to see the excitement for last nights event, My take on Monday no snow from Blaenafon south its just too mild, we haven't got real cold air entrenched, day time highs are getting to high and so on so any settling snow has a lot to battle. However I do disagree with jackone saying settling snow is unlikely until next winter because of the end of February begninning of March in 2006 and and also Easter in April 2008 it does happen.

If you look carefully Adam I said Half a foot

we had over two hours of very heavy snow with gigantic flakes Adam - as welshwizard said - i'm out in the countryside on the top of a mountain (not on the side of it) - so totally open to the elements

Edited by andymusic

In relation to that I was meaning for my location, this coming week is now looking increasingly marginal, and if last night didn't deliver, then I really cannot see any other events delivering. I'd like to be wrong, and if the fronts allow NW winds to dig in on the back edge anything is possible.

Of course, snow is still possible, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see further falling snow over the next week, but lying snow does get increasingly difficult after the end of Febraury.

In April 2008, I was staying in Reading, and they had about 3-4 inches of snow then, so it still possible.

Posted

the sun is shining here and still the snow holds on - I got tough snow up here - there is melting - but there will be snow left ready for tomorrow's offerings to sit on - snow can hang around during the day if it's not in sun light around this time of year - if we have a very dull day with constant cloud cover and temps around 1 - 2 then snow will just sit there and not melt

Adam - you kept going on about sleet/rain - alsorts last night when the front got to you - when it got to me - there was noooooooo intermediate rain/sleet/hail period - it started as snow and finished this morning when i got up as a snow shower still - we in the south east of wales on reasonable high ground get a better chance of pure snow events cause we are well away from the coast and well away from the west coast influence of the gulf stream drift - oh and one other factor, we had longer to get a nice crispy frost down too

Edited by andymusic

Posted

In relation to that I was meaning for my location, this coming week is now looking increasingly marginal, and if last night didn't deliver, then I really cannot see any other events delivering. I'd like to be wrong, and if the fronts allow NW winds to dig in on the back edge anything is possible.

Of course, snow is still possible, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see further falling snow over the next week, but lying snow does get increasingly difficult after the end of Febraury.

In April 2008, I was staying in Reading, and they had about 3-4 inches of snow then, so it still possible.

Perfectly said last night was our last chance of snow to settle everything was inplace ,just temps was a fraction to high.

Posted

Hi all, is tomorrow a high ground event again?

I'm afraid it looks a little more high ground orientated this time Jay - how did you get on last night - the radar showed plenty of precip going over cardiff