Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Referring again to those stupidly annoying 7 day forecasts on the front page for local areas. As I said before they had my area of Poole a 85% chance of snow at midday lol. Just having watched the bbc weather forecast for tomorrow and tuesday heavy rain here. My home page net says absolutely no rain until Wed. midday. You couldnt make it up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

light sleet outside at the moment. 3.0c

Maybe Ian will come on later and give us his thoughts on all this.

long term ecm is trending cold again so if it was correct then matt will have to put that BBQ back in the shed! laugh.gif

rolleyes.gif Is it ever going to warm up?

Might have to go on holiday :D

Posted

BBC Radio 2 have just forecast 5-10cm Snow for West Country and South Midlands tonight unsure.gifdrinks.gif

Ignore it - erroneous for West Country.

To clarify (I just did on the 'phone with UKMO after reading this!) -

Transition zone is possibly - possibly - northern parts of Glos for our region (to snow).

Elsewhere, it's a rain gig.

The advisory remains in force solely because of the 40% PROB delimitation but nothing more sinister than that. Incidentally, this initial weak feature running northwards at the moment (the returning, redesignated warm front) will probably bring some light snow down to 200-300m (or sleet) but either way poses a real ice risk - our major concern tonight and tomorrow. It's not to be confused with the primary PPN feature still to arrive in the morning. This is expected to offer mostly rain, albeit the latest run does enhance the snow signal somewhat for SE Midlands, not so much for us.... with that N Glos potential remaining the exception.

Edited by Ian Fergusson

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Popping up on the wrong thread here, but I just wanted to ask Ian if there was any chance he could have a look at the midland thread and give his thoughts?

Pretty Please?

Posted

Popping up on the wrong thread here, but I just wanted to ask Ian if there was any chance he could have a look at the midland thread and give his thoughts?

Pretty Please?

Duly done, but off to bed now so cannot offer thoughts on our impending NAE briefing - will next see it all at 4am, sorry! I suspect it will be broadly similar. Looks like your region will see all manner of snow threat at differing times this week, including tomorrow but also Tues and onwards.. Best, Ian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Duly done, but off to bed now so cannot offer thoughts on our impending NAE briefing - will next see it all at 4am, sorry! I suspect it will be broadly similar. Looks like your region will see all manner of snow threat at differing times this week, including tomorrow but also Tues and onwards.. Best, Ian

Thank you so much, really appreciate your time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Its snowing!! yahoo.gif

Very wet and not settling though. interesting thing is it isnt even very heavy ppn. blush.gif

Posted

Its snowing!! yahoo.gif

Very wet and not settling though. interesting thing is it isnt even very heavy ppn. blush.gif

Mullender, i''ve followed your up's and downs all winter....laugh.gif

fantastic poster!!

Anyhow, snow will be making it's way into northants very soon

blum.gif

lookng like we could be the ''hot spot'' for this snow event.drunk.gif

Posted

Mullender, i''ve followed your up's and downs all winter....laugh.gif

fantastic poster!!

Anyhow, snow will be making it's way into northants very soon

blum.gif

lookng like we could be the ''hot spot'' for this snow event.drunk.gif

I hope you get lots along with the rest of us! Winter isnt done with us yet. air_kiss.gif

However if spring doesnt arrive soon i think i'll end up in one of those special wards! wacko.gif

Posted

Its snowing!! yahoo.gif

How did you manage to wangle that then!!

Just had a look out the window here...

and...

It's RAINING!!! :help:

Only 50m ASL though, so maybe it's an elevation thing...

Will be interesting to see what it's like up the top of Lansdown in Bath tomorrow...

It's about 210 - 220m ASL there...

Is it still going in GS?... Getting heavier?...

Posted

How did you manage to wangle that then!!

Just had a look out the window here...

and...

It's RAINING!!! crazy.gif

Only 50m ASL though, so maybe it's an elevation thing...

Will be interesting to see what it's like up the top of Lansdown in Bath tomorrow...

It's about 210 - 220m ASL there...

Is it still going in GS?... Getting heavier?...

Nothing falling out of the sky at all now, funny thing is I had thrown the towel in this evening and then while watching a dvd I heard it against window so i went outside for cigy to investigate and it turned from sleet to snow. I think we could see wet snow as the front tomoro moves east but probably won't settle.

I am looking out for tuesday as its my day off and I can stay up on mendip to keep an eye on it. dry.gif

It started again although its a mix of sleet and wet snow, if only it had some intensity about it.

Edited by mullender83

Posted

Nothing falling out of the sky at all now, funny thing is I had thrown the towel in this evening and then while watching a dvd I heard it against window so i went outside for cigy to investigate and it turned from sleet to snow. I think we could see wet snow as the front tomoro moves east but probably won't settle.

I am looking out for tuesday as its my day off and I can stay up on mendip to keep an eye on it. dry.gif

Spookey!

The NAE has had a patch of snow showing over parts of the South West for the last couple of runs now, so maybe???...

I keep seeing "hints" that it may actually turn colder again towards the end of the week... Long way off though!

Posted

Spookey!

The NAE has had a patch of snow showing over parts of the South West for the last couple of runs now, so maybe???...

I keep seeing "hints" that it may actually turn colder again towards the end of the week... Long way off though!

Yes just when we all start to lose hope it sparks our interest with a new chance! Yes there was talk of cold undercutting a fron on the western side towards the end of the week although thats along way off yet. crazy.gif

Posted

Yes just when we all start to lose hope it sparks our interest with a new chance! Yes there was talk of cold undercutting a fron on the western side towards the end of the week although thats along way off yet. crazy.gif

Yep, all this "Will it?", "Won't it?"... Changes every day (in fact, about 4 times a day!!)...

Well, early start tomorrow (again :help: ) so I'm off to bed...

Temp. here is currently 4.5°c with a DP of 3.0°c... Not much chance of seeing snow here!!!

Good luck for tomorrow... You seem to be in a good spot!

TTFN

Posted

Yep, all this "Will it?", "Won't it?"... Changes every day (in fact, about 4 times a day!!)...

Well, early start tomorrow (again nonono.gif ) so I'm off to bed...

Temp. here is currently 4.5°c with a DP of 3.0°c... Not much chance of seeing snow here!!!

Good luck for tomorrow... You seem to be in a good spot!

TTFN

Night, i think i shall do the same.

Last update - Its turned to sleet and rain again now with temp rising probably because front is passing temperature up to 3.0c dewpoint of 0

good luck for tomoro you will see more than me because i work at low altitude. unsure.gif

Posted

Surprised no other posts here unless I live in the only south west snow zone !

Just up and must have been snowing steadily for a while as it is settling on the grass and cars but not on pavements or roads. We must be right on the edge between rain and snow I reckon - and I live low down here.

John in Quedgeley, Gloucester

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Cold and wet, no snow againnonono.gif

Posted

Heavy snow here! yahoo.gifyahoo.gif

Im confused what happened to my rain and back edge snow...??