Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Maybe the header needs changing from cold spell?!

It's still not particularly mild tbf, hard frosts, temps struggling to hit double figures, doesn't look like the blue skies and sun is going to last all week?

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

like i said it may get a little cooler or even cold but i think it will be a fleeting visit, but as long as there is sun i dont mind, its a waste of snow this time of year unless you have some really cold air around.

im ready for spring and summer.

heres to next winter i hope it out does 2009/10.

fromey

I am not prepared to give up on winter just yet although it is nice to see the sun about. I consider march to be a winter month still especialy on high ground and even low ground can still see impressive snow fall for a few more weeks yet. good.gif

Temperature has fallen sharply this evening -0.5c so its going to be a cold one and maybe even a -4/5c?

Edited by mullender83

Posted

I agree, I can remember many years (even 'warmer years') when the daffodils have had their heads poking through 2 to 3inches of snow.

Indeed I would not be surprised if records show there to have been more years with inch plus lying snow in March than in December.

About 6 years ago we had at least two inches of snow in April up on the Dorset Downs.

If my recall is right, much of the west country snow has come from lows which have taken a more northern route across the Atlantic with snow swinging down from the NW. Back in the 60's I seem to recall synoptic charts (good before colour telly) heading across from Maine to NIreland and snow cloud swinging down from there. I might be horribly wrong on this point and welcome correction (especially if anyone has synoptics from past years showing where the snow actually came from).

Getting back to the outputs however I am struggling to see snow coming out of this cold snap.

Posted

I agree, I can remember many years (even 'warmer years') when the daffodils have had their heads poking through 2 to 3inches of snow.

Indeed I would not be surprised if records show there to have been more years with inch plus lying snow in March than in December.

About 6 years ago we had at least two inches of snow in April up on the Dorset Downs.

If my recall is right, much of the west country snow has come from lows which have taken a more northern route across the Atlantic with snow swinging down from the NW. Back in the 60's I seem to recall synoptic charts (good before colour telly) heading across from Maine to NIreland and snow cloud swinging down from there. I might be horribly wrong on this point and welcome correction (especially if anyone has synoptics from past years showing where the snow actually came from).

Getting back to the outputs however I am struggling to see snow coming out of this cold snap.

Yes you are correct that was april 14th and we had around 12 inches of snow which drifted around mendip hills to leave some of largest snowdrifts i have ever seen. 6/8 feet. Last year we saw 2 days of snowcover but that was only on the high ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

Yes you are correct that was april 14th and we had around 12 inches of snow which drifted around mendip hills to leave some of largest snowdrifts i have ever seen. 6/8 feet. Last year we saw 2 days of snowcover but that was only on the high ground.

Was that 1964, my parents moved that day (in London) and the neighbour opposite spent all day clearing the snow off of her path!!

Posted

Was that 1964, my parents moved that day (in London) and the neighbour opposite spent all day clearing the snow off of her path!!

No that was 2000 ish I think although i know it was april 14th. I wasnt alive in 1964

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well I suppose with the change of the month comes a change in the weather. Yesterday was cold, grey and damp and today was 'cool' but pleasant, clear and sunny after a frosty start. In some ways it's nice to have a day or two of this but not days on end like what the GFS was showing earlier on (I have not checked since in case it's now showing a beasterly). Very pleasant.

A very nice day though with a low of -1.7C last night and a high of 8.3C with light winds which felt a lot nicer than the 9.7C and showers we had on Saturday.

I think to be on the safe side, a simple "Southwest Weather Discussion" would suffice seeing as it would be wrong to say either cold spell or springtime just at the moment. Perhaps move onto springtime in April.

Posted

No that was 2000 ish I think although i know it was april 14th. I wasnt alive in 1964

First time I've posted on here but have been following the discussions with interest.

Looking at historical weather records (Weather Underground) it could have been either 1998 or 1999 as both show snow on 14 April at Lulsgate and Lyneham

No actual records for 2000 for these places but a general Bristol enquiry shows 12C on 14 April that year.

My best snow memory for April in Midsomer Norton was 25 April 1981 and within a week it was like mid summer (excuse the pun).

Posted

First time I've posted on here but have been following the discussions with interest.

Looking at historical weather records (Weather Underground) it could have been either 1998 or 1999 as both show snow on 14 April at Lulsgate and Lyneham

No actual records for 2000 for these places but a general Bristol enquiry shows 12C on 14 April that year.

My best snow memory for April in Midsomer Norton was 25 April 1981 and within a week it was like mid summer (excuse the pun).

I found old photo of snow in april 14th 1999 and you can see what the road was like by morning of the 15th next day and it was really quite bad with trees leaning into road, they had to bring people in to cut them all back and re-open road. drinks.gif Not that many people use that lane anyway lol its more like a track.

post-8911-12674790498155_thumb.jpg

Edited by mullender83

Posted

I found old photo of snow in april 14th 1999 and you can see what the road was like by morning of the 15th next day and it was really quite bad with trees leaning into road, they had to bring people in to cut them all back and re-open road. drinks.gif Not that many people use that lane anyway lol its more like a track.

post-8911-12674790498155_thumb.jpg

Wow, awesome picture there Mullender!

Would be nice too see something like that again, although it's looking pretty unlikely for this winter!...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Excellent photo Mullender, now that's some snow! Got any more? :whistling:

Well if we keep getting snow failures, at least we've got this to look forward to (the best bit is at the end):

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

April 4th 2000, stuck in my memory as I was moving house that day; deep snow, huge pickfords removal truck, narrow Somerset lanes and steep hills - not the best of combinations!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Another lovely morning, Temp got down to -0.5c & it was a little misty to start with. Sun is out now though & another lovely day beckons.

Posted

stunning day outside!

current temperature 1.7c with frost still thick on ground but starting to lift.

Over night low of -4.4c

Posted

Similar day to yesterday both temp wise and weather wise, peaked about 8.3 degrees here, last nights low -2.4. Looks like the blue skys and sunshine to be replaced by some murk tomorrow?

Edited by Sunny Jim

Posted

People are still going after more snow then....

To be honest after these last couple of crisp, dry days i'd quite happily keep the current pattern. Today was really very pleasant indeed

Depending on which definition you choose to follow spring has now arrived and after a nerve-shreddingly exciting winter, and it would be nice to have a nice sunny dry march (and from the look of current teleconnection output with the polar vortex remaining rather weak influence we may be in for a rather settled spell, especially with the increasingly positive PNA pattern forecast which should leave the jet stream remaining to our south)

My biggest fear to be honest is a bit of a washout summer as the Jet Stream attempts to make its seasonal journey further north - I fear flooding issues ahead

Incidentally anyone still hungry for more snow, ignoring the minimal risk from the shortwave later this week, depending on how much credibility you associate to longer-term solar cycles (personally I feel theres something in it) it wouldn't surprise me to see 3 out of the next 5 winters finishing below average after an extended period of low sunspot activity, which even back in 2008 (when the minimum was expected to end far sooner) NASA expected to affect our winters in particular for a few more years

Further Reading Here:

http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2009/sci-techs/3615solar_min.html

To my knowledge the sun has only just emerged from its minimum with recent sightings of large sunspot activity, and therefore after its deepest minimum for 50 years its effects are likely to last for a number of years to come. Not only will the minimum be likely to affect things itself but the fact that we have seen such a deep minimum is likely to mean that the solar maximum in the current cycle is likely to be far lower than the last such cycle we passed through (un-coincidentally in my opinion peaking around the turn of the millennium, when the warmest years on record occurred) which if theory is to be believed, should result in a period of far less 'global warming'.

http://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/images/ssn_predict_l.gif

You might also wish to backdate 50 years and find which period you find yourself in, then read up about some of the winters of the 1960's. Im not for a second suggesting we will see such winters with any certainty, and research theory surrounding solar cycles etc is very new and probably open to mass error. However from what i've seen from the last 50 years or so in research i've done, im becoming slowly more convinced

Enjoy the late winter sunshine everyone - i'm sure everyone will be complaining about the lack of sunshine as we head through the year

SK

Edited by snowking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Not as cold Temp wise this morning but feels colder in the wind & cloud cover.

Posted

May I add to Snowking's links with some more reading matter? I will read Snowking's links in a mo, but here is some interesting stuff from the MetO re the climate of the South West...I didn't know half of it! Very interesting indeed.

One point that particularly fascinated me.... I was born and bred in Devon and always considered February to be the coldest month. It turns out that I was right whilst I lived there! Now that I reside (temporarily) in Bristol, the coldest month for me will be January! All courtesy of the degree of maritime influence! You learn something new every day!

I love the weather, I really do. Unless it's hot. :good:

I'd better do the link :good:http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/sw/

Edited by noggin

Posted

well it has been a chilly one today with a max of 4c

over night low was -0.3c so still just an air frost.

current temp 1.4c

Posted

Hello everyone.....where have you all gone ?unknw.gif

I've been relegated to the bedroom to watch the footie.

I reckon we'll all be 'leaving' soon as the snow threat diminishes even more....returning October/November later this year.

Roll on Spring - i don't want anymore cold weather as Cheltenham approaches - this drying weather will help my 'fancies' for the Festival this year.whistling.gif

Posted

I've been relegated to the bedroom to watch the footie.

I reckon we'll all be 'leaving' soon as the snow threat diminishes even more....returning October/November later this year.

Roll on Spring - i don't want anymore cold weather as Cheltenham approaches - this drying weather will help my 'fancies' for the Festival this year.whistling.gif

Not allowed to watch the footie..lol. The cold dry days are fine for me, also looking forward to the warmer weather.good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Evening all

Just back from my course in Bristol, bit chilly eh! Nursing a rather large hangover after some fun and games last night. Oops. But be brought down to earth by the football!

Anyway, -1.3C here at the moment.

Posted

Evening all

Just back from my course in Bristol, bit chilly eh! Nursing a rather large hangover after some fun and games last night. Oops. But be brought down to earth by the football!

Anyway, -1.3C here at the moment.

Evening Matt hows things,did the course go okay?good.gif

Not seen you on here for a while