Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Quite a miserable day with heavy rain throughout and a strong wind making it feel rather uncomfortable. During the last few hours the temperature has fallen and it has turned to a sleety mixture. Current temperature 1.5C, dewpoint 0.8C.

Posted

Snow was very heavy when I left York and settled rapidly. Cover on the ground all the way up the A64 to the GMG Castle Howard turn off, then eased to sleet.

Hasn't really reached here but 3 miles to the West it's settling on top of the hills.

Posted

A very wintry week is possible next week, many areas could see over 30cm of snow, with a possible snow event rivalling Jan 5th if not beating it. Certainly one to watch, but I wont hold out till the NAE shows it (NAE goes up to 48hours). The GFS shows the event on Wednesday in relatively reliable time frame, this has been showing for a few runs now and will hopefully come of.

In the short term a bit of sleet or snow possible on Sunday on the northern edge of the low, perhaps a dusting in some places depending on how far north the precipitation is, NAE shows it not getting much further north than the North Midlands/South Yorkshire.

Edited by 10123

Posted

Snow was very heavy when I left York and settled rapidly. Cover on the ground all the way up the A64 to the GMG Castle Howard turn off, then eased to sleet.

Hasn't really reached here but 3 miles to the West it's settling on top of the hills.

Yep, it didn't settle too well where I live, but when I drove over to sheriff Hutton, it was a very different story.

Lots and lots of water about in some places too :shok:

Posted

Very encouraging developements from the GFS, please let this happen just once ohmy.gifbiggrin.gif

Classic low pressure undercutting high pressure to the north allowing heavy snow on the precipitations northern flank smile.gif

http://charts.netwea.../h850t850eu.png

http://charts.netwea.../117/ukprec.png

http://charts.netwea...ctypeuktopo.png

http://charts.netwea...7/ukmaxtemp.png

http://charts.netwea...uksnowdepth.png

And if that isnt enough, it seems to open the floodgates to a nice easterly!

Areas at risk:

From the initial band of rain turning to snow as it hits the colder air, inland areas are most favoured, preferably above 600ft.. With the possibility of snow to lower grround as evaporative cooling lowers the snow line....

Then as an easterly sets in: http://charts.netwea.../h850t850eu.png the risk extend to all areas, especially north yorkshire moors/linconshire wolds... only the imediate coast would get very little snow at all..

This is still in a preliminary stage so subject to much change but as allways the risk is there... What we dont want is wednesdays precipitation to stretch too far north as that would introduce milder uppers and 2 far south could mean little precipitation. Regarding the easterly, we need the high not to sink south as that would kill showers. Still interesting times ahead! biggrin.gif

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted

Finally dried up now and the flooding is starting to subside. Theres a small stream that runs through Newby that burst today flooding the main road towards Whitby.

The fire service have also being pumping water to prevent flooding property at Cloughton and Scalby village.

total rainfall since 12 midnight is 36.3mm.

Temp now 1.5C with a dew point oof 0.6C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Very encouraging developements from the GFS, please let this happen just once ohmy.gifbiggrin.gif

Classic low pressure undercutting high pressure to the north allowing heavy snow on the precipitations northern flank smile.gif

http://charts.netwea.../h850t850eu.png

http://charts.netwea.../117/ukprec.png

http://charts.netwea...ctypeuktopo.png

http://charts.netwea...7/ukmaxtemp.png

http://charts.netwea...uksnowdepth.png

And if that isnt enough, it seems to open the floodgates to a nice easterly!

Areas at risk:

From the initial band of rain turning to snow as it hits the colder air, inland areas are most favoured, preferably above 600ft.. With the possibility of snow to lower grround as evaporative cooling lowers the snow line....

Then as an easterly sets in: http://charts.netwea.../h850t850eu.png the risk extend to all areas, especially north yorkshire moors/linconshire wolds... only the imediate coast would get very little snow at all..

This is still in a preliminary stage so subject to much change but as allways the risk is there... What we dont want is wednesdays precipitation to stretch too far north as that would introduce milder uppers and 2 far south could mean little precipitation. Regarding the easterly, we need the high not to sink south as that would kill showers. Still interesting times ahead! biggrin.gif

Steady snow moving up from s/w.Mmmm where did that come from?Looking forward to sunday as the risk of more snow increases as the day wears onblink.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

We had a short light snow shower here about 20 minutes ago?!?!?! Not that I'm complaining!

BB

Edited by bazookabob

Posted

We had a few snow flurries in the past hour. Tomorrow looks more promising according to the BBC forecast although with temps at around 2°C for the next 36 hours I doubt it will settle except on very high ground where temps could stay around zero.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

Moderate wet snow shower here at the moment. ;)

Posted

Moderate wet snow shower here at the moment. good.gif

Well in Pensitoenits has been wet snow since about 9am this morning Left from Wombwell on Train by the time i got to Penistone its was snowing some heavier bursts temp holding steady at 2.4 degs. In heavier bursts it is settleing on the grass. Not sure where this has come form but does look good for potential later on ion weekend and next week. Just seems so wet and soggy compared to our dry blowy powdery snow of before. I unsderstand why just dont like it as much but they were good times. I cant get over the amount of snow they have had in Scotland this year. They have had over a metre of level snow thats before it blew it around 20ft deep they have had to dig the skiscentres out before they can get in them. Itys immense. Its going to be an excelent spring ski season there. No doubt some very big patches will sticjk in North facing crevases on Higher mountains probably right through until the next Autumn winter blast. Stunning stuff.shok.gif

cold.gifcc_confused.gif Moderate Snow Here Just Starting to Settle clap.gif

Same here in Penny been snowing on and off all morning 220mtrs stayed at Wombwell last night totally dry nearly 4 degs by the time i cgot to penistone it was very heavy and thick wet flakes. it did it yesterday too but went to Sheffield and it was just raining. Cant beleiver how marginal it is. Bit too wet to walk in as i discovered walking back from the train station.mellow.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

. I cant get over the amount of snow they have had in Scotland this year. They have had over a metre of level snow thats before it blew it around 20ft deep they have had to dig the skiscentres out before they can get in them. Itys immense. Its going to be an excelent spring ski season there. No doubt some very big patches will sticjk in North facing crevases on Higher mountains probably right through until the next Autumn winter blast. Stunning stuff.shok.gif

Yes will be in interesting re snow patch survival rate this year

Very heavy rain down south here as expected

Now halistones and lighting !!

Edited by stewfox

Posted

Yes will be in interesting re snow patch survival rate this year

Very heavy rain down south here as expected

is it poss this could start to have an impact northern hemiasphere hemisphere wise on low solar activiy and increased reflection to aid to cooling or is this not likely to have high impact global impact????????pardon.gif

Edited by NCC1701

Posted

is it poss this could start to have an impact northern hemiasphere hemisphere wise on low solar activiy and increased reflection to aid to cooling or is this not likely to have high impact global impact????????pardon.gif

How quiet is it on here im talking to misen for past hour fool.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Moderate sleet showers here at the moment. I'm having doubts about any settling snow in this area from the system coming in from the south later tonight, except if you're above 430mts or so. Better chance further north into Lancs and Yorks I think.

The temperature at present is around 2.3c and with a cloudy and increasingly windy night to come and no particularly cold air source I just can't see it getting low enough. I'm expecting to wake up to continuous sleet and then look at the Flash Bar web cam and see it white over up there.

Posted

Moderate sleet showers here at the moment. I'm having doubts about any settling snow in this area from the system coming in from the south later tonight, except if you're above 430mts or so. Better chance further north into Lancs and Yorks I think.

The temperature at present is around 2.3c and with a cloudy and increasingly windy night to come and no particularly cold air source I just can't see it getting low enough. I'm expecting to wake up to continuous sleet and then look at the Flash Bar web cam and see it white over up there.

Well i was hoping for some snow from this but got no chance by the looks of it if you are saying 430mtrs im only half that in South Yorkshire - in saying that though this past few days snow although has not settled greatly below 300 mtrs was never forecast. Infact only a few days ago it was talk of spring and mild Swlys's from some on here so thats another shift that was not initially iodentified by everyone. When is the precipitation from the storm system in the SE likely to hit us????

Well i was hoping for some snow from this but got no chance by the looks of it if you are saying 430mtrs im only half that in South Yorkshire - in saying that though this past few days snow although has not settled greatly below 300 mtrs was never forecast. Infact only a few days ago it was talk of spring and mild Swlys's from some on here so thats another shift that was not initially iodentified by everyone. When is the precipitation from the storm system in the SE likely to hit us????

Looking on the rain today site it looks like the precipitaion you are currently experiencing is around 20miles to the south of us. Although i expect it to fall as wet snow i dont see any change on ground surface temps and therefoe cant see it sticking at the moment. Is there a lot of warm air sectors contained within the storm moving up? i expect there will be considering where it has come from but if it does not move too far north we could get some. I dont think i can cope with these near misses anymore and as time progresses it is getting less and less likely that snow certainly significant snow will stick even in these parts for any length of time unless we get some very cold uppers and little sun which i cant see but considering our recent winter would not rule out. Winter very often has a sting in its tail and no reason why this march couldnt poss deliver to some favoured locations whoever they may be. I never thought a week ago this front would stall in scotland and produce a metre of snow, more to some locations, Unfortunately we only got about 4 inches from it but better than nothing. We got some more Friday when it made its way back down then it snowed most of today until about 3pm very wet but very big flakes and heavy at times. I can see it has left a slushy white cover above about 260mtrs around me. Still could be a few suprises ahead with a real mix of weather coming up its all about elevation levation!!!!

Posted

How quiet is it on here im talking to misen for past hour fool.gif

No snow...no show ? :D

We had a couple of hefty snow showers this afternoon but nothing stuck and it's snowing now in fact.

I expect to see some snow tomorrow but it won't stick. The temp here seems to have flat-lined at just under 2°C.

Winter seems to have worn itself out and is only just keeping Spring at bay.

Posted

We had some snow about 8:45 this morning... it was only slighty though and didn't last very long.

Does anyone know when there's any snow forecast for West Yorkshire next? rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Just light rain here on and off all day. I've noticed the ideas of snow have gone from the met office warning pages this evening.

No snow...no show ? :)

We had a couple of hefty snow showers this afternoon but nothing stuck and it's snowing now in fact.

I expect to see some snow tomorrow but it won't stick. The temp here seems to have flat-lined at just under 2°C.

Shows the difference in height and location. No snow here today or hefty showers.

Posted

Just light rain here on and off all day. I've noticed the ideas of snow have gone from the met office warning pages this evening.

Shows the difference in height and location. No snow here today or hefty showers.

Well like i say i left wombwell at 80mtrs amsl and returned to penistone on train at station being 210mtrs and it was belting it down with fat heavy wet flakes of snow and had been all morning and did all afternoon but didnt start to settle until abotu 3pm by which time it fizzled out and stopped. must admit if it is gunna just fart about and not do the real deal i cant be arsed iw ould rather it just warm up and have a decen t spring and summer and i can get in garden and feel like loosing some blubber i have gathered over this long winter. I know what i say it wont makes a sod of difference but im sayin it all the same. Been rather lonely on her tonight dry.gif Nite

No snow...no show ? laugh.gif

Ah fek dint wanna hereoops.gif hear that!dry.gif

Edited by NCC1701

Posted

well the easterly is still showing with tonights gfs! if this still shows by next tuesday then things could get very interesting for the whole of yorkshire :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The area of showers currently over north east England looks to me like a minor trough and it's making steady progress southward. I'm wondering if it will make it this far south and, if so, whether or not we'll get a thin cover of lying snow from it...just to show willing as March arrives.