Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Judging by depths (around 10 cms laying, with some drifting) I would guess it stayed as snow. Roads around the village only passable to 4WDs - which has happened quite a few times this winter now, but will it happen again before spring ???

Edited by Pennine Ten Foot Drifts

Posted

snow arrived in wakefield about 8-9pm last night, quite large flakes at the beginning but then died down to sleet/rain around 11pm then stopped at midnight. the sleet made the ground too wet to settle cray.gif

wd to doncaster for getting all the snow!

Posted

Really pleased for you Jed elevation has made such a big difference, I am in Methley in Leeds and the best we got was sleet

Thanx, shame you only got sleet. I though been far inalnd most of leeds apart from the city centre would have at least had some snow nonono.gif . Plenty more opportunities to come though! :)

laugh.gif

A good 4-5cm cleared off car this morning Pudsey 175m asl. Think we did well last night looking at previous posts.

Very difficult to get out of cul de sac too.

Plenty of snow Jed in Otley too. Came over the Chevin and that had been ploughed.

Might take a jaunt up above Otley towards Timble at lunch. Massive snowdrifts up there in Januarygood.gif

Hehe nice one mate, a bit daring goin over the chevin though wink.gif good job it was plowed lol..

Beatifull drive to work at 6:30, clearly showed wat a difference alltitude makes, drop a couple of hundered feet and there was much less snow. God knows how much the tan hill pub must have got in north yorkshire (i think)!

I can only feel though if things had been a little different and the -5hpa line stayed just south of us over the next few days like scotland, we would be talkin 10-20cm low ground and 50cm+ high ground instead of them... never mind laugh.gif

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Nothing much too talk about here 1.5cm overnight stayed as snow and normal temperatures this afternoon removing 99% of the remaining snow. Sudden feeble end to the cold spell.

Posted

Nothing much too talk about here 1.5cm overnight stayed as snow and normal temperatures this afternoon removing 99% of the remaining snow. Sudden feeble end to the cold spell.

Cold will be back with us on Saturday with widespread snow across Yorkshire, it's not over yet.

A good 5-7cm of wet snow fell last night and stayed as snow throughout, around 50% of the snow has melted today, not bad considering temperatures maxed at 4.9c, which is still below average.

Posted

I think theres potential for another spell of snow across north and west yorkshire fri night/into saturday.

http://www.wetterzen...cs/Rtavn602.png

http://www.wetterzen...cs/Rtavn604.png

http://www.wetterzen...s/Rtavn6017.png

The area of precipitation is progged to be quite heavy and stall. above 200m could certainly have some moderate accumulations for a while, but obviously subject to change smile.gif

Posted

I think theres potential for another spell of snow across north and west yorkshire fri night/into saturday.

The area of precipitation is progged to be quite heavy and stall. above 200m could certainly have some moderate accumulations for a while, but obviously subject to change smile.gif

I agree think there are goign to be some suprise and quite heavy falls in some places around yorkshire. I am hoping that Penistone may get some but will have to wait ands ee. I think the cold dense air mass to the north may well dig quicker under the warm and amke for some very intense and interesitng weather friday night into saturday. I have been on the Scotland weather and it looks amazing. A little like we got here last winter with a stalling front dumping in a localised area. Even after all of the snow we have had i would love to get some more. makes spring and suimmer all the more enjoyeable IMO when it eventually arrives up here. I love sunny weather but just cant stand the intense heat. 21 degs and a coll breeze is spot on! and will feel tropical after this lot.

rolleyes.gif sorry about all mistakes cant be bothered to sort too tired.

Edited by NCC1701

Posted

Hi mate,

Look at the conditions before posting the above, it's a fantastic post and will save you wasting your time and effort.

The 0C isotherm would = 0 chance of this happening.

http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100224/18/57/0degisotherm.png

Obvously subject to change as you say.

Posted

I agree think there are goign to be some suprise and quite heavy falls in some places around yorkshire. I am hoping that Penistone may get some but will have to wait ands ee. I think the cold dense air mass to the north may well dig quicker under the warm and amke for some very intense and interesitng weather friday night into saturday. I have been on the Scotland weather and it looks amazing. A little like we got here last winter with a stalling front dumping in a localised area. Even after all of the snow we have had i would love to get some more. makes spring and suimmer all the more enjoyeable IMO when it eventually arrives up here. I love sunny weather but just cant stand the intense heat. 21 degs and a coll breeze is spot on! and will feel tropical after this lot.

rolleyes.gif sorry about all mistakes cant be bothered to sort too tired.

Ye, certainly one to watch! :)

Even as the 0C isotherm moved in early this morning we still had 100% snow, so with evaporative cooling and slightly colder uppers I would be suprised if there was no snow...

Posted

Ye, certainly one to watch! :)

Even as the 0C isotherm moved in early this morning we still had 100% snow, so with evaporative cooling and slightly colder uppers I would be suprised if there was no snow...

200-400m is a big difference to 800-900+ mate, at low grounds it was mainly wet snow and sleet/rain last night, and for areas roughly 200m + it was snow. Work it out mate.

Posted

LMFAO

I can see why you are saying that as you obviously back the GFS, which again performed poorly last night.

200-400m is a big difference to 800-900+ mate, at low grounds it was mainly wet snow and sleet/rain last night, and for areas roughly 200m + it was snow. Work it out mate.

There was 5-7cm of fresh snow at 130m ASL this morning (8AM), and 2-3cm of fresh snow at 80M ASL, explain that?

Edited by 10123

Posted

lol, wats to work out?? im around 100m and had heavy snow last night, even as the 0C isotherm moved in. At 6am in the morning I had 3" of snow with absolutly no snow melt.....

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted

lol, wats to work out?? im around 100m and had heavy snow last night, even as the 0C isotherm moved in. At 6am in the morning I had 3" of snow with absolutly no snow melt.....

Yeah agree, there was snow to low levels albeit inland which was still snow at 3AM even though Lewis said the uppers were not supportive.

Posted

I can see why you are saying that as you obviously back the GFS, which again performed poorly last night.

There was 5-7cm of fresh snow at 130m ASL this morning (8AM), and 2-3cm of fresh snow at 80M ASL, explain that?

80M is not 0m (sea level now is it?) learn your geography kid!

Also there was many reports of light sleet/rain when the precipitation was light, it only turned to snow for some levels when the heaviest precipitation hit.

Also don't forget if you have a 0C isotherm at say 150-200m in the heavier precipitation it will drop to around the 50-80metre mark. I really do think you need to get rid of your selfishness and grow up a bit mate, this winter has been a nightmare in this thread, and that's not just coming from me, about 40 people in the region on my msn.

Posted

Yeah agree, there was snow to low levels albeit inland which was still snow at 3AM even though Lewis said the uppers were not supportive.

lol I know. NW leeds Russ even reported plenty of snow in otley this morning, he needs to stop trying to flog that horse that died 3 years ago..

Posted

Again,

I never dismissed snow to higher ground the other night, i just said it would become marginal to most levels (with it being a non event to low ground) just so you don't get "confused" when i say low ground i'm talking less than 50 metres :o. So do the maths?

Posted

Again,

I never dismissed snow to higher ground the other night, i just said it would become marginal to most levels (with it being a non event to low ground) just so you don't get "confused" when i say low ground i'm talking less than 50 metres :). So do the maths?

and you was spot on here mate all we got was a bit sleet followed by rain

Posted

80M is not 0m (sea level now is it?) learn your geography kid!

Also there was many reports of light sleet/rain when the precipitation was light, it only turned to snow for some levels when the heaviest precipitation hit.

Also don't forget if you have a 0C isotherm at say 150-200m in the heavier precipitation it will drop to around the 50-80metre mark. I really do think you need to get rid of your selfishness and grow up a bit mate, this winter has been a nightmare in this thread, and that's not just coming from me, about 40 people in the region on my msn.

I know my Geography, you are the one who said "at low grounds it was mainly wet snow and sleet/rain last night", no mention of sea level here. Also you said "when i say low ground I'm talking less than 50 metres" we are supposed to know this because? Generally above 150m is high ground so anything less is low ground, yet you change the definition(probably to be more in-line with your wrong forecast).

How am I been selfish? Your the one who is dismissive and rude, ie "LMFAO" at my post that said "it will snow on Saturday", perhaps I am been too bullish In saying "it will" but there is no reason why you have to be so dismissive and rude, we are all entitled to our own view. Also you dismissed what "Jed Bickerdike" posted about the 0C isotherm, it snowed when the isotherm was 0.c yet you are dismissing that fact, if it happened before it will happen at some point again.

You are the one who is selfish by your dismissive and rude behaviour and failing to look at the facts and relying on your fairytale world of fiction.

Edited by 10123

Posted

I know my Geography, you are the one who said "at low grounds it was mainly wet snow and sleet/rain last night", no mention of sea level here. Also you said "when i say low ground I'm talking less than 50 metres" we are supposed to know this because? Generally above 150m is high ground so anything less is low ground, yet you change the definition(probably to be more in-line with your wrong forecast).

How am I been selfish? Your the one who is dismissive and rude, ie "LMFAO" at my post that said "it will snow on Saturday", perhaps I am been too bullish In saying "it will" but there is no reason why you have to be so dismissive and rude, we are all entitled to our own view. Also you dismissed what "Jed Bickerdike" posted about the 0C isotherm, it snowed when the isotherm was 0.c yet you are dismissing that fact, if it happened before it will happen at some point again.

You are the one who is selfish by your dismissive and rude behaviour and failing to look at the facts and relying on your fairytale world of fiction.

Couldnt have put that better myself.

His posts are becoming rude/dismissive/arrogant, especially the 'LMFAO' one where there was no provocation or nothing to warrant it??

He said there would be no snow for us and laughed off the fact that we even thought there would be. The bottom line he was wrong and we got a good 3 inches of snow biggrin.gif. Even where I work in ilkley 80masl had a goot 3/4cm, Im no michael fish but where ever you come from, thats low ground! now he seems to think that only below 50masl is low ground.. You go any further and its sea level! laugh.gif which is perfectly inline with what we said, no snow near the coast especially (mostly because its sea level.. )

Im beginning to get bored with his insulting/sarcastic posts, I wont be entertaining him anymore :)

Posted

10123, Jed and Lewis

If you 3 carry on wrecking this thread then I for one am going to ask admin/mods to stop you posting or to have all 3 of you on pre mod such that your posts can be checked by admin/mods-now cut it out ALL 3 of you.

what folks want to read on here is constructive posts regarding how anyone sees the models showing for this area-PLEASE do this and leave arguing out.

many thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Thanks John, I feel brave enough to ask something now- namely how are things looking for Friday night/Saturday, and also what impacts are we expecting from Sunday's Low? Hope I'm not sounding lazy, but I would really value the imput of those more experienced in interpreting the models. Cheers guys/girls

BB

Posted

Thanks John, I feel brave enough to ask something now- namely how are things looking for Friday night/Saturday, and also what impacts are we expecting from Sunday's Low? Hope I'm not sounding lazy, but I would really value the imput of those more experienced in interpreting the models. Cheers guys/girls

BB

i honestly do not see any snow-even the wet type in the area unless you are over 1000ft or thereabouts for the weekend. In fact the zero isotherm is not predicted to fall below about 1500ft, and then only in overnight periods-being over 2000ft most of the time. Its possible some flakes might make it lower down but certainly, in my view, not enough to raise much excitement.

As to the low then its such a deep feature and has such warm origins that its only going to give rain and wind for the areas it affects.

So the next 72 hours or so there seems no risk of snow for the area.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Oh dear, well thanks for that John, appreciate you taking the time to answer! At least I won't be getting myself excited in vain!

BB

Posted

Hmm I think there is at least a RISK of snow friday through to sunday. Friday evening through to saturday morning more so!

We have colder air from the north pushing down with -5hpa very close and stalling precipitation which could be heavy. This may be over yorkshire or around 25 miles further north..

http://charts.netwea.../h850t850eu.png

http://charts.netwea...uksnowdepth.png

http://charts.netwea...6/ukmaxtemp.png

If these charts are to be believed, 1000ft+ should see several centimetres.

Around 3-5cm above 500ft

And rain/sleet- few centimetres low ground smile.gif

(estimates for area under main precipitation)

Too early to firm up on but the risk is certainly worth watching, as is sundays.

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted

i cant believe its been raining steadily for 9 hours here! imagine if that was all snow ugh!!!!