Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Temp currently -1.2C, starting to come down quite heavily again, very hard to judge depths as there's enough of a wind to blow it around, together with Sunday's couple of cms which has hardly melted. If the radar is to be believed then the heaviest stuff is due over the next hour or so. Might have quite a good fall by tomorrow morning. Quite a winter - the last of the deepest drifts from previous falls hadn't quite gone before Sunday's, which means there has been lying snow within 100 yds of my house since the third week of December.

Similar her m8y but you in slightly colder air and higher elevation. The hills only 5 minutes walk from here still had about 5/10cm piled up agaisnt the dry stone walls from 2/3ft drifts in Dec/Jan snow arounf 1000ft AMSL the hill that i am half way up goes up to 370mtrs amsl and that had patches dotted around in all of the shaded areas. recenlty though these have diminished as the sun has become gradually higher and more powerful. But yes like you said pretty amazing stuff. Cant see then 2/3inch we got now still being here in the morning though.mega_shok.gif

Edited by NCC1701

Posted

Some moderate-heavy falls of snow here earlier with big flakes, had some hail earlier as well, all surfaces covered in 1.5-2cm of fresh snowdrinks.gif , currently drizzle snow.

Temperature- -0.3c, and still dropping, BBC have snow over us till 6AM and mention of significant snow on the east of the pennines.

Posted

Some moderate-heavy falls of snow here earlier with big flakes, had some hail earlier as well, all surfaces covered in 1.5-2cm of fresh snowdrinks.gif , currently drizzle snow.

Temperature- -0.3c, and still dropping, BBC have snow over us till 6AM and mention of significant snow on the east of the pennines.

mix of rain / sleet / snow

oh well

Posted

mix of rain / sleet / snow

oh well

Well you are a short drive away from Leeds so at least you will be near to snow. Hopefully it will turn to snow and settle where you are, tbh i doubt it will but you never know.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Very heavy snow at the moment. Nasty driving conditions.

Those in the south are lucky they are missing these conditionsgirl_devil.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Cant see then 2/3inch we got now still being here in the morning though.mega_shok.gif

Agreed, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the next band currently working up from the southwest turns increasingly sleety, maybe even back edge rain. I seem to remember one night this winter in a similar setup, went to bed and it looked for all the world like it had set in for the night, got up the next morning expecting deep drifted snow, but instead there was pretty much the same couple of cms there had been when I went to bed. Can't remember exactly what happened, but Terminal Moraine had experienced something very similar and did explain it at the time.

Posted

Agreed, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the next band currently working up from the southwest turns increasingly sleety, maybe even back edge rain. I seem to remember one night this winter in a similar setup, went to bed and it looked for all the world like it had set in for the night, got up the next morning expecting deep drifted snow, but instead there was pretty much the same couple of cms there had been when I went to bed. Can't remember exactly what happened, but Terminal Moraine had experienced something very similar and did explain it at the time.

We have had a good run though and shouldnt be greedy. We have been spoilt by all this snow.

suppose just have to look back on photographs i have taken and just be happy i lived to experience this again. I did think about ten years ago that i would just have to live with my child memories from 80's and historic photos but i have manage to live through another blast so that great.pardon.gif

air_kiss.gif

post-8968-12669640425217_thumb.jpg

OOH that looks bldy Gawjuzyahoo.gif lets hope ts snow still im gunna go and check mi weather staion and see if temp still holding below 1deg

Posted

We just got hit by a rather heavy cell, which was full of snow and has given the whole place a covering of about an inch. It also looks like there could be more on the way, with one final pulse to come through which is showing up red on the netweather radar. Much better than I thought it would be and much better than the BBC maps and NAE were showing last time I looked. Yippeee :nonono:

Posted

looks like it could be a direct hit drinks.gif

well i thought temps had gone up but they have actually fallen to .06 deg. could be in for a battering againyahoo.gifdrinks.gif shortlived i know but i will enjoy it all the same.

infact sod it im gunna get dressed and go for a snow walk to the station and watch the last train go in and out!girl_devil.gif now thats WKD!

Edited by NCC1701

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Light snow still falling with a temp' of -0.8c. About 5cm of fresh snow but the heaviest stuff has moved north to the west of here.

Posted

We just got hit by a rather heavy cell, which was full of snow and has given the whole place a covering of about an inch. It also looks like there could be more on the way, with one final pulse to come through which is showing up red on the netweather radar. Much better than I thought it would be and much better than the BBC maps and NAE were showing last time I looked. Yippeee drinks.gif

And to add to that it is snowing still in Wales and not on the hills either, GFS is way out of wack with what is going on ATM, if it was right we would of had brief snow followed by sleet then rain. NAE has shot up for me and I consider it the best model in the short term.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Just had a quick look on the 'wrong side of the Pennines' thread and James M reporting heavy snow in Saddleworth, so maybe we'll be lucky and stay the right side of marginal long enough so there's a decent fall, and still a worthwhile amount left by tomorrow morning. Nothing more depressing than going to bed with a blizzard blowing and waking up to find rain has washed all the snow away.

Posted

well i thought temps had gone up but they have actually fallen to .06 deg. could be in for a battering againyahoo.gifdrinks.gif shortlived i know but i will enjoy it all the same.

Ye, the sector of milder air is still miles away.. now in a line from bristol eastwards.....

And to add to that it is snowing still in Wales and not on the hills either, GFS is way out of wack with what is going on ATM, if it was right we would of had brief snow followed by sleet then rain. NAE has shot up for me and I consider it the best model in the short term.

To be honest I wasnt even suckered into believing this short spell of sleet/rain rubbish.. laugh.gif we have several hours of snow yet before it turns to sleet/rain.. Im not even convinced we will have a spell of rain before it clears away tomorrow morning.

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted

Nothing much here, it started off as a sleet/snow mixture but has now turned back to rain. Current temperature 2.5C, dewpoint 0.4C.

Temperatures are still pretty low to the south of the band, so higher ground might do OK out of those heavier echos.

Posted

Judging by the lack of posts you would think nothing was happening, here it is moderate snow and the main road is back covered again, the snow must be wet as the cars got rid of the snow relatively quickly although there was alot of cars.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️

Judging by the lack of posts you would think nothing was happening, here it is moderate snow and the main road is back covered again, the snow must be wet as the cars got rid of the snow relatively quickly although there was alot of cars.

Moderate to heavy flakes here in tyersal/pudsey border, a couple of cms covering on local roads ,

looking nice !!!

Posted
  • Location: South Sheffield close to North East Derbyshire border
  • Location: South Sheffield close to North East Derbyshire border

Just loads of rain here!! not sure what the rest of sheffield is like, nothing here , cold around 2 deg, damp , wet and rainy ergghh!oops.gif

Posted

The reason for my lack of posts is that I'm not too enthusiastic about cold rain, which is what I've had for most of the evening.