Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Welsh Mild Weather Discussion Thread

J10

Posted

Haha syniad da, Good Idea,

Dwi'n bendant fan hyn yn rhy dwym mae'n 4 gradd dros y rhew bwynt ar hyn o bryd :cold: wi'n credu a'i allan i dorheulio

I certainly find it to warm here its 4 degrees above the freezing point at the moment :lol: I think I'll go out to sunbathe.

Haha syniad da, Good Idea,

Dwi'n bendant fan hyn yn rhy dwym mae'n 4 gradd dros y rhew bwynt ar hyn o bryd :) wi'n credu a'i allan i dorheulio

I certainly find it to warm here its 4 degrees above the freezing point at the moment :) I think I'll go out to sunbathe.

Certainly looking mild for a day to two, but with the Jet so far south, I cannot really see a long mild weather pattern becoming established.

Posted
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: SACRA member
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL

The word 'Mild' may distract viewers...I have heard we've got snow on Sunday and into next week....so where's the 'welsh cold spell discussion'?

It's going to 'bwrw' 'hen wragedd a ffin' for some days then 'eira' galore...not sure of your translation in the thread title lol

and for those of you who don't know...'hen wragedd a ffin' means 'old women and sticks' a welsh term for raining cats and dogs and 'eira' is snow

I'm keeping optimistic about the ( welsh ) weather turning cold again, it was even mentioned in tonights 1030pm forecast on BBC1 when the cold moves south again....

will sit here and wait for my snowstorm, only had 11 inches of lying snow at any one time this winter...not enough for me !

Cwmbran 150m asl

Posted

very misty on the mountains this morn and not as cold of late,and as far as i can see up the mount i think quite a lot of the snow has gone with all the rain we had last night.it did say on the radio last night that we got 3 or 4 days of milder weather but then it may turn cold again,i myself would like one more good cold blast then for it to change to nice warm summer within 4 hrs and stay there until middle of oct then lots of cold and snow again and i also want to win the lottery and wales to win on fri ooh and euro lott after fridays game.

whats my chances guys?lol

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Really mild here a sweltering 5c already! Sure wreckon that 10c barrier will be smashed in the next few days!

The synoptics and models are screaming MILD MILD MILD until Friday at least! Aberaeron could be the new Miami at this rate! The

sun feels sooooooo mild out there here in Llanwnnen.

Its been so mild in Vancouver lately and its their mildness thats here now as it always gets to Wales a week or so later.

Enjoy the Dampfest as its staying until the weekend at least. Derek and the Met guys sure did not forecast this - what a waste of Welsh taxpayers hard earned sheep profits that lot are!

Now a boiling 6c here!!!!

Posted

very misty on the mountains this morn and not as cold of late,and as far as i can see up the mount i think quite a lot of the snow has gone with all the rain we had last night.it did say on the radio last night that we got 3 or 4 days of milder weather but then it may turn cold again,i myself would like one more good cold blast then for it to change to nice warm summer within 4 hrs and stay there until middle of oct then lots of cold and snow again and i also want to win the lottery and wales to win on fri ooh and euro lott after fridays game.

whats my chances guys?lol

Showing 6c on my car temp gauge today - still snow in the back garden mind - half the garden is still white - I'm quite impressed - not sure it'll have the legs to wait for the cold to return come the weekend mind - the cold will come back - and this deep low will also effect us also bringing quite brisk winds and helping the cold air to return by dragging it back in on it's western side

Note to Jackone - does this mean now you are calling this thread "mild weather discussion" that net weather are considering leaving the area threads open all year?

Edited by andymusic

Posted

temp is also showing 6 here and the mountains do still have large areas of snow, i can see the snow now the mist has lifted,quite a nice day to be honest i just hope we dont have the very strong winds that some are saying we will have,i hate the high winds,would be good if this welsh area and other local areas were kept open all year so we can talk about temps etc and compare.

Posted

WOW - just seen Thomaz Schaf on BBC -

help.gif50 cms of snow for the Scottish highlands over the next 48 hours with drifting and villages being cut off !!!!!!!!!help.gifhelp.gifhelp.gifhelp.gif

The low approaching us may give us a lot of trouble (nasty winds etc - I have seen it placed right over the top of south wales and I think it was a meto fax - really scary stuff) or may miss us altogether - different models are handling it in different ways and after this weekend, once it passes through - this low will set up the weather we will receive next week, a good chance of it being cold again with the nasty low dragging the cold air behind it

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Any chance we might get the tail end of the really nasty low moving in over Spain/Portugal and western France??

The one thing we've missed out on all winter is a good blow!

Posted

Any chance we might get the tail end of the really nasty low moving in over Spain/Portugal and western France??

The one thing we've missed out on all winter is a good blow!

there's certainly a possibility - the latest meto's fax puts the nasty low right over us - this like the snow will be a nowcasting event - 12 hours before or so we may know what will happen and it's trajectory - exciting stuff though

Posted

Whilst I don't like the rain all that much, I do love a good storm (windy especially). We've had lots of rain during the autumn, and despite all that we didn't seem to have exceptional winds like in previous years.

I seem to recall ferries being cancelled to Ireland around 6 nations time as an annual event!

Both BBC National and BBC Wales gave warnings about the severity of the Iberian storm... I must check out metofrance to see what they are saying...

Posted

Whilst I don't like the rain all that much, I do love a good storm (windy especially). We've had lots of rain during the autumn, and despite all that we didn't seem to have exceptional winds like in previous years.

I seem to recall ferries being cancelled to Ireland around 6 nations time as an annual event!

Both BBC National and BBC Wales gave warnings about the severity of the Iberian storm... I must check out metofrance to see what they are saying...

I've been on a ferry coming back from France/Spain in weather like that - and I can assure you - I'm not of the sea sickness type but that journey was amazing - the up and down difference in the ferry angles was like going up and down in a lift constantly and just before we docked my stomache was not feeling brilliant at all! - Just after we docked they had to close all the ports and some poor souls were left out in the channel for a further 16 + hours - I'm glad it wasn't me that's for surehelp.gif

Edited by andymusic

Posted

I've got pretty good sea legs, but I've been out in some gales too... but there is nothing like being near the sea, in a strong gale once the rain has passed. Awesome!

Reminds me of a similar trip back from the Isle of Wight, on a tiny little ferry, managed to get last ferry back before the cancelled service. The westerly gale rampaging betweeen the island and the mainland. It was enough to knock cups of tables! The Irish sea is a force to reckoned with when it is whipped up.

Anyway, better stop all this old sea dog talk, or we'll be singing shanty's next!!!

I'm hoping this milder weather will let the daffs come up in time for St. Davids Day. Their growth in my garden seems a little stunted what with this cold winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Had a high today of 14.5C, still 10.3C now, was nice for it to be warm for a change! Notices that my snowy mespilus tree/sapling buds seem to be starting to open slightly, maybe a sign spring is not that far away?

Edited by Deepsnow

Posted

Seems like it, deepsnow! Although they could get battered over the weekend.

Reading through the Irish long term forecast, which is usually spot on it suggests that the low will push away from SE Ireland towards southern Britain. So the wind could be pretty strong on Sunday... but of course the worst will be experienced along the southern English coast.

Probably won't be that bad around the south wales coast... we're used to a brisk wind anyway!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Seems like it, deepsnow! Although they could get battered over the weekend.

Reading through the Irish long term forecast, which is usually spot on it suggests that the low will push away from SE Ireland towards southern Britain. So the wind could be pretty strong on Sunday... but of course the worst will be experienced along the southern English coast.

Probably won't be that bad around the south wales coast... we're used to a brisk wind anyway!

Well i think its just my location, but we dont seem to get much of strong sustained winds, they are always just really gusty winds! not sure why that is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

It felt very mild indeed here today after yesterdays windy and wintry day. It was sunny for most of the day and the sun felt like more like April!

Posted

The mildest day since November 24th- now thats quite a turn up folks! Reached the dizzy heights of 11.6c @ 1330 here today, this stunningly coming 24 hours after the coldest day of February (maximum just 3.1c yesterday). Indeed, what a complete turnaround, a right and proper ending to the cold winter of 2009/10. Spring most certainly in the air, the birds singing, crocuses flourishing, students in short skirts :)- and now even the Daffs are doing their utmost to try to make an appearance in time for St David's day on Monday.

Shame it had to break the 10c barrier though- thought that might hold out to the months end, also will the February CET manage a sub 3c now with all this mild air about- doubt it? That will mean this winter has not given an illusive 3 months of sub 3c. However here in Llanwnnen we managed 145 Eden snow days so quite a winter that was.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

any more snow coming soon guys?

Posted

any more snow coming soon guys?

next extreme weather event will be this low for sunday over the south of the UK - this will possibly bring the cold air back down across Wales - after that we shall have to see - there may be an outside chance that as the low moves east it's back edge precip may turn to snow - but we'll have to see nearer the time as the trajectory of the low is not confirmed yet. Next week - high pressure may take hold and result in an easterly - keep watching those models

Big avalanche in Glencoe, Scotland - quite a few climbers out and about - big risk takers if you ask me - getting a rush from that sort of sport - but putting their lives on the line

scottish snowfalls bbc report

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8535261.stm

The word 'Mild' may distract viewers...I have heard we've got snow on Sunday and into next week....so where's the 'welsh cold spell discussion'?

It's going to 'bwrw' 'hen wragedd a ffin' for some days then 'eira' galore...not sure of your translation in the thread title lol

and for those of you who don't know...'hen wragedd a ffin' means 'old women and sticks' a welsh term for raining cats and dogs and 'eira' is snow

I'm keeping optimistic about the ( welsh ) weather turning cold again, it was even mentioned in tonights 1030pm forecast on BBC1 when the cold moves south again....

will sit here and wait for my snowstorm, only had 11 inches of lying snow at any one time this winter...not enough for me !

Cwmbran 150m asl

Clearly it is not meant to be an absolute translation, Dych Chi'n Rhy Dwym i Eira, means is it too mild to snow? (Roughly) . Also the mild discussion thread relates to the fact that in recent years, as soon as we put spring in the the thread discussion it turns colder. Reverse Psychology in action.

Showing 6c on my car temp gauge today - still snow in the back garden mind - half the garden is still white - I'm quite impressed - not sure it'll have the legs to wait for the cold to return come the weekend mind - the cold will come back - and this deep low will also effect us also bringing quite brisk winds and helping the cold air to return by dragging it back in on it's western side

Note to Jackone - does this mean now you are calling this thread "mild weather discussion" that net weather are considering leaving the area threads open all year?

No. I would imagine that it will be closed late St David's Day, but nothing has been confirmed. The mild discussion thread title was my idea.

Posted

Th intensity and trojectory of the low set to create nasty weather for Portugal and France is unclear, it is due by most of the models to move over the UK sometime Sunday, but they all differ on its exact path and depth. Ecm and nogaps show pretty interesting winds as does the 120hr fax chart. If the right path came off then a spell of blizzard like snow could cross the UK as it pulls cold air through. Even with a perfect path it looks more likely for Mid wales Northwards but the south could get a battering from the winds. Something to watch and at least its an interesting feature.

Posted

Sunday evening would be nice to have one last heavy snowfall, really go out with a bang, then the snow gets roasted by the current bun.

When if at all do you think there will be one last hurrah?

could be as soon as St David's day - I've a recollection over quite a few St David's days gone by that snow has been a feature on a fair few of them - I'll check the GFS 18z this evening shortly to start as to the latest info for the weekend until then thursday and friday look mildish

Edited by andymusic

Posted

I be suprised and shocked if we dont get a northley sometime from 1st of march to the 10 with heavy wintery showers i really cant remember march without snow sleet ,and kitchen sink thrown at us,but saying that this is not a normal winter.