Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Sunday's Low

major

Posted

Where is this storm currently?

Its just a grey day here with 0 wind and 0 rainfall.

Hi Lynxus,

I am not sure if this low was ever forecast to affect Gloucester or not, but even here on the coast, as I expected last night the winds have been nothing unusual. Highest gust just 34 knots so only just toughing gale force 8

We have had just one inch of rain here and earlier the river close to me was just about to top it's bank but has since lowered very slightly. As it should still be rising with High tide due in half an hour I assume the environment agency, (bless there souls) have done what they usually do and put in extra pumps down on the seafront.

The GFS seemed to handle the forecast for here pretty well.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

How's the wind gusts in your neck of the woods? Gusts have really picked up here

Its certainly windy Yamkin, but nothing exceptional. The wind is expected to pick up for a short time as the low moves away but there is no suggestion anywhere for winds to be beyond a Force 6 to 8 range. And by mid afternoon the wind will be moderating even from these levels. Best to keep a perspective on these things I feel.

Posted

With the wind coming directly from the North here we would on a normal day expect it to be very windy. Incredibly today with this low the winds are moderate to light. Strange. The highest gust today is still only 29mph.

Posted

Environment Agency have increased the Flood Watch areas http://www.environme...oods/31618.aspx :help: :help:

Ah! Thanks for directing me back to that Yamkin. My river is now back on flood watch.

32 areas now on flood watch in Southern, not really surprised after yet more heavy overnight rain.

Extract from Brighton Argus newspaper for today.

Sussex on flood watch

9:46am Sunday 28th February 20th

Sussex is on flood watch today, as more heavy rain is predicted.

The Environment Agency has issued flood warnings on 30 rivers in the South, including on the rivers Rother, Cuckmere and Uck.

The coastal areas between East Worthing and Shoreham, including Lancing and Selsey Bill and Ferring, including Bognor and Littlehampton are also on alert.

Rainfall totals in the south-east could reach 30mm in some areas and heavy rain last week means that land in Sussex is already saturated.

Andrew Gilham, the Environment Agency's flood risk manager for the southern region, said: "The ground is now saturated and river levels have risen. Our staff are out in force working tirelessly to reduce any possible risk of flooding across the region."

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Ah! Thanks for directing me back to that Yamkin. My river is now back on flood watch.

32 areas now on flood watch in Southern, not really surprised after yet more heavy overnight rain.

Sussex on flood watch

The Environment Agency has issued flood warnings on 30 rivers in the South, including on the rivers Rother, Cuckmere and Uck.

The coastal areas between East Worthing and Shoreham, including Lancing and Selsey Bill and Ferring, including Bognor and Littlehampton are also on alert.

Rainfall totals in the south-east could reach 30mm in some areas and heavy rain last week means that land in Sussex is already saturated.

Andrew Gilham, the Environment Agency's flood risk manager for the southern region, said: "The ground is now saturated and river levels have risen. Our staff are out in force working tirelessly to reduce any possible risk of flooding across the region."

be out and about in the car surface water all over place still got heavy rain local radio now saying we could get 2inches by to-night

Posted

Sussex on flood watch

Flood Warnings have increased as well http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/31618.aspx

Wind Gusts have increased here. Ian Fergusson (BBC SW Forecaster) warned us about the possibility of the 'Sting Jet'

Edited by Coast

Posted

Yes so unfortunately colder European winters means more chance of severe storms down here! you can't win can you! I love the snow but am now paying for it yet again! The power has just come back on which is quite a shock! At least now I can get back to looking at the colder synoptics possible for next week rather than obsessing over the exact track of the recent storm!

Glad to hear you are ok. The following is part of an update on deaths due to this storm: Death toll from storms lashing Europe rises to nine

Three people drowned in western France's Vendee region, while an 88-year-old woman was found drowned in her home on the isle of Oleron in the Charentes-Maritime further south, police and rescuers said.

French authorities had reported Saturday that a man was killed by a falling tree in the southwest Pyrenees region as hurricane-force winds moved across the country after lashing Spain and Portugal. http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20100228/twl-death-toll-from-storms-lashing-europ-c0ca4a9.html

Edited by yamkin

Posted

Flood Warnings have increased as well http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/31618.aspx :help: :help:

Wind Gusts have increased here. Ian Fergusson (BBC SW Forecaster) warned us about the possibility of the 'Sting Jet'

No stingjet in the UK but likely it happened in France last night

Posted

Glad to here Nick S is alright and back with power. Hope it stays on.

Think this storm was possibly a bit hyped up for the UK. Still suprised Frances storm didn't make BBC front page even though Uk flood warnings did.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Welol i am pleased to say that here the ground is completely dry, and the sun is trying to come through, though it did get fairly windy though last night.

Posted

By the way, Yamkin was right about the Thames flood barrier. They have just said on the radio that the barrier has been raised.

Thanks coldfingers. That's right, the Thames Barrier has been activated due to a possible surge once the low pressure heads into the North Sea. Best be safe than sorry is my motto.

No stingjet in the UK but likely it happened in France last night

As already tried to be stated by me, it was never likely to happen in the UK other than the possibility of the Channel Islands earlier today. Even the 'wild weather' that IF mentioned for Sussex, Hants and Kent last night hasn't really materialised at all. Which is something to be grateful for. It has indeed been better than anticipated here - in fact the sun has even been trying to punch through the clouds already as far east as me in the last hour and the rain stopped before midday.

The wind here is just a fresh north westerly breeze, so the low is basically already moved on away eastwards from here.

The issue remaining as the weather now dries up with some very welcome pleasant sunshine for a few days is dealing with the topped rivers and flood alerts that are left over.

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

Environment Agency have increased the Flood Watch & Warning areas http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/31618.aspx :rofl:

Death toll mounts as storms lash Europe

Hurricane-force winds, surging seas and driving rain lashed western Europe on Sunday, leaving at least 16 people dead and more than a million households without power. http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20100228/twl-death-toll-mounts-as-storms-lash-eur-a2f61c0.html

Environment Agency have increased the Flood Watch & Warning areas http://www.environme...oods/31618.aspx help.gif

Death toll mounts as storms lash Europe

Hurricane-force winds, surging seas and driving rain lashed western Europe on Sunday, leaving at least 16 people dead and more than a million households without power. http://uk.news.yahoo...your-a2f61c0.html

Yamkin, just a polite request please, would you mind refraining from putting that SOS emoticon after nearly all the posts you make! Thank you.

The headline for France and Spain etc is a very unfortunate one and not nice to see.

Posted

For anyone living in mainland Europe ignore this.

If the "storm" that crossed the UK today had attended a Secondary School for Storms it would have had its dinner money stolen on a daily basis. If this "storm" was sun bathing on a beach it would have had sand kicked in its face by proper storms. This "storm" was an embarrassment to all well brought up storms.

Posted

If the "storm" that crossed the UK today had attended a Secondary School for Storms it would have had its dinner money stolen on a daily basis. If this "storm" was sun bathing on a beach it would have had sand kicked in its face by proper storms. This "storm" was an embarrassment to all well brought up storms.

Yes I agree I'm sure it was more windy here on Friday!! but I think we were all interested to see what happened in europe / france.

Posted

Very little wind here last night,only really until now it`s breezy back from the W/NW

There was some snow showers early on with big flakes, did just give a dusting for a while,N/NW wind then.

Min of 1.3c

Posted

It was fairly wild here from about 3am through until late morning. We had 24mm of rain with gales so just a normal wind storm really but as they've few and far between this Autumn/Winter it wasn't unwelcome

Posted

Try telling that to the Spanish and French and to those families that have lost loved ones. It didnt happen here and it was quite right for the agencies concerned to issue warnings.

Posted

Try telling that to the Spanish and French and to those families that have lost loved ones. It didnt happen here and it was quite right for the agencies concerned to issue warnings.

Hurricane-force winds, surging seas and driving rain lashed western Europe on Sunday, leaving at least 22 people dead and more than a million households without power. http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20100228/twl-death-toll-mounts-as-storms-lash-eur-a2f61c0.html