Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Sunday's Low

major

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Thanks for the reply you put my mind at ease,getting a bit ahead of myself loldrinks.gif

I know, I think we will all (well maybe not all) be glad of some peace and quiet after all the rain this last week and then the wind and rain again tomorrow!

Some snow potential maybe late next week onwards which could be something to look forward to!drinks.gif

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

I know, I think we will all (well maybe not all) be glad of some peace and quiet after all the rain this last week and then the wind and rain again tomorrow!

Some snow potential maybe late next week onwards which could be something to look forward to!drinks.gif

Snow would be lovely one last dumping ,but no more Rain and wind lol ,i am off to bed so thanks for your help .drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None - UK weather is always exciting at some point

I see what you mean. If there is a twist in the approaching low pressure, I can understand why the powers to be are on standby just in case.

Update from Ian Fergusson: The storm is currently undergoing explosive deepening NW of Portugal and is yet to cross the Bay of Biscay.

Hi Yamkin,

I found your posts very interesting and especially the one in red above, it seems to me that it pays just to read on here sometimes and not comment, from what flack you have had over the little comment on the Thames Barrier. After all it seemed you were only relaying information that you thought would be of interest to us.good.gif

Posted

Hi Yamkin,

I found your posts very interesting and especially the one in red above, it seems to me that it pays just to read on here sometimes and not comment, from what flack you have had over the little comment on the Thames Barrier. After all it seemed you were only relaying information that you thought would be of interest to us.good.gif

I totally agree Yamkin tells it how he sees it. Doesnt deserve some of the flack on here. I always take note of his posts. Keep it up Yamkin.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Posted

Hi Yamkin,

Yamkin is great and i love reading his views too,and he does get some stick on here and its wrong,as it is only his opinion and a lot of people like his ideas and reading them.drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

There are 3 flood warnings in place and 2 of them are for the NE of the country which is not being affected nby this storm as far as I can tell.

Lots of flood watches though.

I don't think we are actually going to suffer anywhere near as much as some people are suggesting. As others have said it looks like across the pond will be really bad.

Justg going to be a bit wet and windy here, but mainly wet.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

About the most emphatic evidence you could get to where a storm centre is! Can't imagine what the scene on those 'Les Landes' sandy beaches is like atm on the western French coast! I am really feeling for the people of that western and central northern area of Francesad.gif I hope that people are keeping as safe as possible.

Posted

There are 3 flood warnings in place and 2 of them are for the NE of the country which is not being affected nby this storm as far as I can tell.

Lots of flood watches though.

I don't think we are actually going to suffer anywhere near as much as some people are suggesting. As others have said it looks like across the pond will be really bad.

Justg going to be a bit wet and windy here, but mainly wet.

Southern does have 20 rivers on flood watch though and this is the area expected to see the worst of this rain with the forecast for torrential rain in many areas.

The forecasts have persistently understated the amount of rain we have had this week, so I for one will be watching the rainfall carefully.

When you live as close as I do to a river you don't take chances when it is on a flood watch.

I don't have insurance as the premiums are too high for someone on a pension living in a flood risk area.

Thankfully we wont have to worry about the winds as well.

Posted

So far the front pretty much matches as what was forecasted by the high resolution, so the forecaster thus far should give a good idea of whats going to happen over the next 12hrs as its behaving as progged, for now!

Some heavy precip moving over the Channel Islands right now as well, less heavy precip over the channel right now but as the low pressure swings up from the SW the whole mass of heavier precip will head up...but the good news is the models have slightly reduced the threat of very heavy rain reaching the south coast.

ps, SJ thats amazing it has to be said!

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Currently 969mb at Gascogne buoy. Anyone know if this this low is still deepening?

Posted

Hi Yamkin,

What flack has Yamkin had about the The Thames Barrier ? I questioned the fact it might be raised tonight with good reason, which Yamkin has agreed with. I certainly didnt give Yamkin, or anyone else any flack about it. Apologies if you are referring to someone elses post though.

Posted

Does anyone know if that is a Sting Jet starting to form just off to the west of France / North of Spain? It looks like its starting to loop around with an "eye" I'm probably just seeing things. :wacko:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Just read that Pic du Midi in the Pyrenees has reporting a 145mph gust.

Yes, but I think that might be km/h. :) I would realy be worried about Nick if it was mph. There have also been a few rogue reports coming in, on Meteociel at any rate, Parma in N Italy had 2 reports of 170KM/H earlier on, which is nowhere near the storm. :wacko: My eyes almost popped out of my head, my mum happens to live there! Good old XC weather had 5km/h for Parma. :doh:

Posted

Does anyone know if that is a Sting Jet starting to form just off to the west of France / North of Spain? It looks like its starting to loop around with an "eye" I'm probably just seeing things. :wacko:

I did hear some talk of a sting jet, but don't know much about them. So is it one do you think, do they produce stronger winds?

Posted

Cant find any official public access to the station data, being at over 9000ft I'd expect the gusts to be somewhat high in nature anyway, and could also be a measurement in km/h as pointed out by snowray, something to keep a eye on anyway.

Posted

I did hear some talk of a sting jet, but don't know much about them. So is it one do you think, do they produce stronger winds?

Here's part of Ian Fergusson's blog regarding the 'Sting Jet':

Crucially however, a real (worrying) potential identified by the Met Office scientists is a sting jet feature likely to threaten parts of northern France. If this becomes reality, it could take a swathe of 60-70mph gusts also across the Channnel Islands - briefly - early on Sunday morning. The impact on parts of France could prove far more newsworthy. http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/weather/ianfergusson/

Posted

Currently 969mb at Gascogne buoy. Anyone know if this this low is still deepening?

Dont know, but on the site Im using the Gascogne buoy data lags behind other data in that area, creating a slightly misleading impression, as the low is actually now beyond that bouy. New data from that buoy that Ive just seen shows that pressure has shot up from 969.4 at 11GMT to 979.4 at 00GMT!

A couple of sites on the French coast are reporting 971mb as of about 10 minutes ago.

Posted

969mbs is about as deep as it should go, could still shave a couple of mbs off it but generally 967-970mbs will be about the strength it should be over the next 12hrs anyway.

Also we do need to watch for Sting Jets in the channel islands, these can quite easily bring the 925-850hpa winds right down to the surface, which in a storm like this is gusts well into the hurricane range.

Posted

Ah right, thanks for that link Cookie.

Posted

Part of the Weather Underground update from last night:

Models predict that Xynthia will continue to intensify today, reaching 962 mb as it moves into the west coast of France Sunday morning. Sustained winds of 50 - 65 mph (80 - 105 km/hr) with hurricane-force gusts up to 100 mph (160 km/hr) are possible along the north coast of Spain tonight and the west coast of France on Sunday as Xynthia barrels through. The storm is also bringing an exceptionally moist plume of tropical moisture ashore, as seen in precipitable water imagery from NOAA (Figure 4). This moisture is likely to cause moderate to severe flooding in portions of Europe over the weekend. :wacko: :doh: