Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Outlook

Coast

Posted

I can see the line of CB's over Scotland to me East, a welcome return to convective cloudscapes :drinks: Nothing worth noting here though.

Posted

Some good cloudscapes around Cleadon in South Tyneside at the moment- nothing particularly remarkable on the radar, but some big anvils around and rain/hail shafts. There was a hailstorm at about 3pm. On the whole, it's been quite cloudy, and only recently have we started to see significant breaks in the cloud, allowing for more photogenic opportunities.

I must of missed that shower as there has been no hail around here today, just moderate rain showers. Although the last shower was slightly more heavier and the raindrops more fatter which suggest to me it might not of been far off from seeing a few hail stones mixed in.

Today has been more showery than i thought in all honesty but the showers in terms of intensity were nothing to write home about and sunshine was quite limited but when it did came out, you could see the shower clouds trying to bubble up.

Posted

Nothing here on the south coast apart from some heavy rain, shame as it was looking promising to to begin with.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Judging by the rain moving ashore on the South Coast, the Low is due to tighten up again very soon.

I think when this happens, there could be some decent intensification. Where and if this happens this of course is an unknown :drinks:

EDIT - Some of the clouds to my South look quite robust - radar returns not overly impressive - but I am hoping that there could be some intensification...in vain though I am thinking. In fact, I'm thinking virtually no hope as there appears to be no electric activity both here and across the Channel - very disappointing.

Edited by Harry

Posted

some sferics southeast of Romney/Dungeness in the Channel

Which detector you using staplehurst?

Posted

All rather uneventful :whistling:

Remember this imported MCS in May 08 - was a cracker! More of the same this year would be awesome :drinks:

Two different viewpoints of the same MCS!

Edited by Harry

Posted

All rather uneventful :whistling:

Remember this imported MCS in May 08 - was a cracker! More of the same this year would be awesome :drinks:

Two different viewpoints of the same MCS!

Wow, thats got the mouth watering! Constant rumbles of thunder :yahoo: Do you know what areas of england this storm hit, i would be interested to know.

EDIT: Sorry, hadn't watched the second video, kent.

Edited by liambailey09

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

A potent little shower going over at the moment, at first rain then very heavy hail and now sleeting moderately with slush moving down the windows. Temperature has also dropped to 4.7C, all very unexpected after such a lovely morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Showers sprouting up over Tyne and Wear but nothing to write home about really- it's gone overcast since mid-morning and so the skyscapes are not particularly amazing and the convection is inhibited by the lack of sunshine.

Posted

Weather is pants today - cold and overcast.

Considering tomorrow is meant to go rapidly downhill, this is yet another rancid bank holiday's weather.

Posted

Weather is pants today - cold and overcast.

Considering tomorrow is meant to go rapidly downhill, this is yet another rancid bank holiday's weather.

Well you had a fine day yesterday while this way had a vile wet day, so today we've swapped you and have had near full on sunshine!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Cleadon had a light hail shower at 6:30pm- somewhat unexpected, as it came from a moderate cumulus cloud, but it means that something notable/convective did happen today.

Posted

Well you had a fine day yesterday while this way had a vile wet day, so today we've swapped you and have had near full on sunshine!

True! Thankfully it didn't really rain, and the cloud cleared by 4 ish to give a glorious evening :lol:

Not much better today either - very cloudy, however noticeably milder which is something.

GFS not yielding many convective opportunities for the forseeable future :oops:

Posted

Found this on youtube - another spanish plume thunderstorm, this time hitting Hampshire...makes the mouth water already! :D

Posted

Am I the only one who thought the skies looked thundery this morning?

Thick haze at higher altitudes, with lines of Ac below? Almost resembled a plume day.

Posted

Am I the only one who thought the skies looked thundery this morning?

Yes....... :)

TBH, I think we're going through a quiet patch for the next week:

MU_London_avn.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Yes....... :)

TBH, I think we're going through a quiet patch for the next week:

MU_London_avn.png

Looking thundery / showery at the moment, However i cant see much happening until after the weekend.

Hoepfully with some elevated temps we might see something afterwards, Maybe a strong cold front straight after :)

Edited by Lynxus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

I have to agree that the clouds have a stormy look to them, with some jagged sharp edges around the darker parts of the clouds. Mind you, the GFS Maps had shown a little bit of a storm potential for around Wednesday and Thursday (particularly for some South-Eastern and Northern areas) with the Satcasts Extra map showing spots of convective cloud for around this period. smile.gif

Posted

In Cleadon (Tyne and Wear) we've just had a prolonged sunny spell with an area of cloud extending from the west. While the sun was shining it looked like it could just be stratocumulus, but now that the sun has gone in, it's become clear that it's actually cumulus congestus, and there are some sharp showers coming from it on the radar.

Posted

Nothing came of that particular batch of convection (it fizzled out as the sun went down) and no convection for the foreseeable future.

Posted

and no convection for the foreseeable future.

Starting to see tentative signs coming through (I don't normally like looking too far ahead) on the 15th but more so into the 18th:

MU_London_avn.png

Although that is not totally backed with:

Rtavn15611.png

:unsure:

EDIT: It changed in the blink of new model output!!!! As Nick says: Nothing to see here, move along please!!! :yahoo:

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Can't see anything remotely interesting convective wise over the next 5-7 days with subsidence in control :unsure:

The potential northerly early next week may change things, though it doesn't look particularly unstable on GFS yet ... ECM looks better with deeper cold pooling aloft.