Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Outlook

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Kicking off again!!

Just seen a really strange cloud , it was racing just across the horizon but very low down below the storm unknw.gifunknw.gif

Probably got caught in the inflow!!!

i need a direct train to kent please no stops!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Probably got caught in the inflow!!!

i need a direct train to kent please no stops!

Cool i'll remember that for next time

Posted

Yes, NAE progging 20-30mm rainfall accumulations across parts of Wales, south-western and perhaps central southern counties by 12z Tuesday- with >10mm accumulations across the west Midlands. Not to mention the potential for heavy showers and perhaps isolated weak thunderstorms over same areas.

Agreed.... I suspect we could get into a situation where the combined accumulation of frontal PPN and convective / localised stuff become a bit problematic for some. We shall see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Kicking off again!!

Just seen a really strange cloud , it was racing just across the horizon but very low down below the storm :unknw: :unknw:

Could be inflow or outflow - depends on the way it was moving in relation to the storm movement. Could equally be a form of downdraught/shelf cloud - it is a pretty immense Cb (and the storms running along the thames estuary atm look very intense atm) so any one of those features are possible I'd say.

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Huge storm to my north , lots of rumbles and looks very black! :unknw: :unknw:

^ Thanks for that info Harry

Edited by neilsouth

Posted

cool.gifToday's Phrase of the Day: Isentropic Upgliding

Oh yes, it's a major part of the mechanism that's led to a lot of you seeing some storms today!

So, impress your friends by using it down the pub. Or in Scrabble.

But best swot-up on what it is, perhaps? e.g., http://www.theweatherprediction.com/advanced/isentropic2/

Enjoy.

Posted

A cell has just rolled past along the estuary producing regular pink lightning (2 or 3 rumbles a minute). Some stunning cloud structure. Another cell appearing from the west, looking very dark. This looks to be a little more inland..fingers crossed.

Posted

Are any of these storms forecast to go on into the night, lots was mentioned about storms in Yorkshire but havent even seen a drop of rain so a night storm in the distance would be a nice bonus to the weekend

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

A cell has just rolled past along the estuary producing regular pink lightning (2 or 3 rumbles a minute). Some stunning cloud structure. Another cell appearing from the west, looking very dark. This looks to be a little more inland..fingers crossed.

Looks stunning on radar that estuary storm - can see the anvils from here (through the trees so alas no photos)

Hoping what's moving in from the West might intensify to give a bolt or two though confidence for that is about 2/10 lol

Posted

Very mean and dark looking cloud rolling over Redhill at the moment, same thing is happening now as it did earlier, Cell pops up around Guildford and builds and moves over me then explodes over kent :unknw:

Posted

Very mean and dark looking cloud rolling over Redhill at the moment, same thing is happening now as it did earlier, Cell pops up around Guildford and builds and moves over me then explodes over kent sad.gif

Exactly what has been happening here ! just a splat of rain and thats it.

Posted

Could this be what you saw Neilsouth? I took this looking north towards the sea about 20 minutes ago. I suddenly spotted an odd formation similar to one I saw a few years ago. It seemed to approach land rather quick despite the storm moving along the coast.

Unusual Cloud

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Could this be what you saw Neilsouth? I took this looking north towards the sea about 20 minutes ago. I suddenly spotted an odd formation similar to one I saw a few years ago. It seemed to approach land rather quick despite the storm moving along the coast.

Unusual Cloud

Looks like a gust front to me

Edited by Kain

Posted

Are any of these storms forecast to go on into the night, lots was mentioned about storms in Yorkshire but havent even seen a drop of rain so a night storm in the distance would be a nice bonus to the weekend

In the widest sense, no - indeed quite the opposite, as the ridging from the west kills most of 'em off this evening. Most....

Because, some will continue into tomorrow AM, fuelled through the thermal plumes of the old occlusion. As we then see Monday's over-running system arrive, it's some convergence-driven areas that will become noteworthy for deeper convection: The first of these through the NW / Yorks / down towards Lincs and the Wash and Norfolk (this northern area focused by hydrostatically-driven convergence along the graveyard occlusion plume); the second, further to the SW, then aligned roughly from the Bristol / SE Wales area, down towards S'Hampton. Profiles suggest that in any case, CAPE will be more limited than today; showers somewhat less frequent (versus the more widespread dynamic and at times heavy PPN) and we expect lightning to be less prevalent generally. Conversely, some of the PPN rates could be rather eye-catching and lead to FLASH warnings locally, especially in that more northern area I mentioned.

Edited by Ian Fergusson

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Unusual Cloud

Wow looks amazing its a shelf cloud!

Edited by Mesodiscussion

Posted

Looks like a gust front to me

Yes, fantastic Arcus cloud (shelf cloud) formed by the t-storm outflow. You need to keep this shot - not often seen so vividly in the UK; it's a good one - I'd defo use it here on BBC TV weather.

Posted

I think that lot over Redhill is heading this way. I can just see the leading edge from here, does anyone think it will produce anything? :unknw:

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

I think that lot over Redhill is heading this way. I can just see the leading edge from here, does anyone think it will produce anything? :unknw:

Underneath it now. So far just moderate to heavy rain?

Posted

I know nothing about Temp, Humidity and Dew Point. Is this any good for a storm?

Temp: 16.1C

Humidity: 88%

Dew Point: 14C

The radar is showing nothing for me at the moment so I guess these readings are not a good combination. Can someone tell me what a good combination is for a storm :unknw:

Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

bit of a dissapointment for me in london to put it mildly, is there anything more to come or has it all passed for today? thanks

Pretty much all passed now. the odd isolated cell may linger into the night, but that wont last for too long