Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Storm Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted

I have a feeling that the 700mb dry layer is making it up across cornwall as aposed to southern ireland - im probably completely wrong. That's a serious looking organised cell near penzance to my eye

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

looking rather meaty now...just need to get some electrical action

Would be good if that big red blob over the far southwest comes here and makes our first storm!! not going to happen though, but would be very nice!! :lol:

Posted

Would be good if that big red blob over the far southwest comes here and makes our first storm!! not going to happen though, but would be very nice!! :lol:

all I can say is its best to keep an eye on it as over the last hr its trebled in size with a report of a strike so far..

we might be clutching at straws but many strange things have happened in the United Kingdom against the forecast or chart predictions over the yrs..

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

all I can say is its best to keep an eye on it as over the last hr its trebled in size with a report of a strike so far..

we might be clutching at straws but many strange things have happened in the United Kingdom against the forecast or chart predictions over the yrs..

Fingers crossed! I know its dark now, but the clouds look quite black and stormy overhead and its very still!! amlost like when you expect lightning to strike any second!!

Posted

is that a spilt cold front on the analysys ? http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=charts;type=fax;sess=

I think that map is showing two cold fronts, the first one symbolised by the triangles that are not filled represents a mass of cold air at levels of about 10,000 ft and above, the second one shown is a 'normal' cold front which means cooler air all the way to the surface. Right now the upper level cold front will be providing instability and reacting with the warmer air ahead of it thus causing the heavy showers and hopefully storms :lol:

Posted

the second one forming just off Penzance now is also increasing in rain fall rate...

I think this one might skirt up towards North Devon??

edit there is also a third one further South in its early stages of development

need it to turn electrical or we are just watching heavy showers :lol:

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted

I actually think im gunna be a bit too far east and they will just miss me, so if anything happens i'll miss out lol fingers crossed something will happen as then get up this way, atleast someone could get a storm in south wales tonight for once?!

Posted

Its great to see cornwall get some action. :D:lol: :angry:

still very heavy thundery showers at present though..

sferic in the South channel now

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Although thunder and lightning would be a bonus, it would be great just to get some torrential rain. I love the sound of really heavy rain, especially at night with the windows open.

I fear though that this stuff further south may just move northwards and miss here. The number of times I curse for being way too far west for any activity and now I may be too far east lol. We'll see, looks good though with showers continuing to intensify.

Posted

Can't rule out the odd few sferics as surface cold front lifts moist Tm airmass ahead of it, but given cooling boundary layer and no real cold pool aloft, any decent amount of electrical activity looks unlikely. As I mentioned earlier, given the moist airmass, main risk towards the far south-west is heavy or torrential rainfall. Instability is pretty much near non-existent, but enough forcing from the front could push cloud to sufficient height for lightning.

Was interesting to see that hook-like feature from the larger shower - may have produced some rotation for a while, given slightly backed surface winds and increase in winds and wind veering aloft.

did you manage to get a screen grab of it?

Met office loop put the heavy showers for here around 4.00am....your area later I would of thought

going to set the alarm for 3.00am to see if there is any surprises on radar..

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Can't rule out the odd few sferics as surface cold front lifts moist Tm airmass ahead of it, but given cooling boundary layer and no real cold pool aloft, any decent amount of electrical activity looks unlikely. As I mentioned earlier, given the moist airmass, main risk towards the far south-west is heavy or torrential rainfall. Instability is pretty much near non-existent, but enough forcing from the front could push cloud to sufficient height for lightning.

Was interesting to see that hook-like feature from the larger shower - may have produced some rotation for a while, given slightly backed surface winds and increase in winds and wind veering aloft.

As i mentioned earlier, does nocturnal cooling now come into effect...cloud tops cooling, de-stabilizing mid-level warm air, steeper mid-level lapse rates, and BANG! elevated light shows?......

Anyhoos, I just have this nagging feeling that there's something in the air tonight....Heavy thundery showers have popped up in the Northwest Midlands in the past hour or so, some real heavy downpours...something is fuelling these......infact, GFS shows lapse rates on the increase,little CAPE, however I believe the NW overlays show SBCAPE, not mid-level CAPE...time will tell!

Posted

AJ im going with you on this one..

today and tonight the sky looked the best Ive seen it for a sign for storms for a long time...

maybe not here but I would be surprised IF no where in the UK gets a storm in the early hrs.

Posted

Well its still warm at 19.7C 78% humidity and 16C dew point so there could be a chance of some torriential downpours with some thunder but im gunna wait and see.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

20.6c here Showers the other side of the Pennines but aint coming here.

Posted

Hi,

I am from Liverpool do you think I have a good chance of a decent thunderstorm over the next week we did have a few thunderstorms last summer including one that woke me up at about 3AM - is thier even a chance of seeing anything over the next 24 hours? Or later in the week when thier may be more potential I think that we are overdue a thunderstorm here at the moment.

Luke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

No thundery showers here or rain, but something lurking...and it's partly cloudy and breezy...Temperature is still 18C

Posted

No thundery showers here or rain, but something lurking...and it's partly cloudy and breezy...Temperature is still 18C

there is a shower on the way, will make landfall in about 5 mins near llanelli according to radar :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

there is a shower on the way, will make landfall in about 5 mins near llanelli according to radar :D

Yeah...keeping a close eye on that..apparently according to the radar, it rained eariler here but doesnt seem like it did, dry outside.