Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Storm Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted

Wow cells exploded in a N-S line between Eastbourne and Le Havre! :)

More sferics from the Calais cell and a new one just off the coast of Thanet

Wow indeed. Thats known as explosive development! Either way its very interesting and makes a night shift more bearable!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

(STAPLEHST)yeah i can see how active the radar is down sw ..dont NAE show this.. and good some developments over france north, hope if something arrives in westsussex and moves towards crawley or gatwick way soon as then i would at least see distance flashes ,i want a night storm

Edited by nimbilus

Posted

Ah good I'm not the only one up at this crazy hour :)

Looks like that line in the Channel is heading east too quickly for me, looks more like an east Kent grazer (as usual)

Edit: lights flickered.

Sferics from those in the Channel now too :)

Edited by staplehurst

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

ive just issued a stormforecast- thunderstorms explode over northern france ,heading towards se england ,then taking a detour totally east towards the low countries ,altho there is the risk of a giant storm magnet appearing just north of london. ha ha just a laugh half asleep (can delete post) (-:

Posted

Started spitting here now, nice intensification just south of Hastings with sferics detected there too, heading NNE towards Rye.

My 'rain' appears to be from a shower developing as the line of cells extends ever further northwards, so all things crossed :)

Edited by staplehurst

Posted

anything around IOW and south of there over n-france..?

Posted

many yrs ago before internet i would watch weather forecasts mainly bbc(still do) and when storms were forecast i would track them using LW RADIO crackling, I would turn the dial to the far left where it just fuzzy and keep volume on same setting ,and as the french imports got closer the crackling got louder, id do this until i could see distant lightning, and then sky watch.

Guest FireStorm

for Kent it seems the line of heavy rain would be from Cranbrook moving NE to Faversham. Anywhere SE of this "line" should see some rain from the current stuff appearing on radar

Posted

for Kent it seems the line of heavy rain would be from Cranbrook moving NE to Faversham. Anywhere SE of this "line" should see some rain from the current stuff appearing on radar

haha typical, me being 4 miles north of Cranbrook, and not on the 'right' side of the line :)

S'alright though, I'm used to it. It's dead quiet out there now, no rain - nothing.

Guest FireStorm

It could still change. Met office radar suggests cell is growing and the netweather radar seems to back this up so it may give some lee-way by a few miles still! Here in Medway I'm thinking I'm not as lucky at present. Fingers crossed for you though Staplehurst :) I'll be hanging round for a while to see what happens

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

All the storms are forming on the right hand side of the approaching front. It's happening exactly as I said last night. Everything is to far east and any storms which are developing are going to move quickly off in a NE direction into the north sea and onto the low countries. The only hope we had of seeing anything thundery over the south of the UK was if anything developed to the SW of the IOW. It's over tbh before that fat lady even got singing. The only thing the mainland is going to see is some heavy steady rainfall towards dawn from the mass approaching the west country.

Posted

meto radar look quite impressive in the se corner near kent

Posted

Agree with both of you - the majority of the lightning will be over the channel and eastern half of Kent. Otherwise, very little getting elsewhere. Though my hunch it is it will start to head more northwards than northeastwards within the next hour or two.

Posted

we need the area of ppn near kent to expand like when an mcs does , i think thunderstorms should get into at least kent but for my area i need cells either IOW for a ne drift or heading towards brighton area if heads north like (STAPLEHRST) says

Edited by nimbilus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow, and lovely summer Sun

got a storm here been going for about 10 mins nothing major but theres thunder and lightning!

getting more frequent now thunder getting louder.

Guest FireStorm

Excellent Chris! Pleased for youyahoo.gif Some sferics on netweather radar on the back edge of the cell in the channel. Looks like storms will hug the coast as they continue to more NE through these early morning hours before dying off :)

Posted

aaah a storm , in the uk! , enjoy it keep posting, at least there here , oh i hope one comes my way (-:

Posted

cheers. well this storm has just died out lets wait for the next drinks.gif

Excellent Chris! Pleased for youyahoo.gif Some sferics on netweather radar on the back edge of the cell in the channel. Looks like storms will hug the coast as they continue to more NE through these early morning hours before dying off :)

Posted

Hmm looks like they're moving north on the western flank now, the edge near Eastbourne has been heading due NNE for at least half an hour now.

At last! One bright flash and a rumble 11 secs later! :):drinks:

Rain now falling too, hope there's more than one rumble

Edited by staplehurst

Posted

well done fingers crossed its a gooden

Hmm looks like they're moving north on the western flank now, the edge near Eastbourne has been heading due NNE for at least half an hour now.

At last! One bright flash and a rumble 11 secs later! :):drinks:

Rain now falling too, hope there's more than one rumble

Posted

on the sat over central n-france a massive storm maybe an mcs developing, dont know but its going to miss us most likely

Posted

well done fingers crossed its a gooden

Thanks - well 10 minutes later, and still nothing since that first rumble. The rain continues though.

Dawn is approaching, the clouds have a faint blue tinge to them as the sun starts to rise, with some quite dark bases to the clouds in places.

My one sferic picked up very nicely by the ATD all on it's own (over Sutton Valence) :)

Edited by staplehurst

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Did we get lots of lightning? , i didn't hear anything in the night... i can see lots of rain though