Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First Frost!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Well there we are then odds on for an airfrost here again. Is Wales on the whole frostier than England? Because we always seem to have frostier conditions or is this jst a misconception? Currently 5.9 here atm :whistling: temp is plummeting.

Under certain set ups, such as this northerly where the west is clear and the east cloudy, then yes, Wales is frostier.

On the whole though the Midlands and north of England are colder and frostier than Wales in Winter.

Posted

Under certain set ups, such as this northerly where the west is clear and the east cloudy, then yes, Wales is frostier.

On the whole though the Midlands and north of England are colder and frostier than Wales in Winter.

In land parts of west wales as well as devon and somerset can be frosty compared to much of the rest of england and wales when low cloud rolls in on an easterly or north easterly airstream. In the case of Wales the hills in mid Wales often break up the cloud - similiar to what happens here with the Pennines, though we are much more prone to cloud under a north easterly being closer to the N Sea.

SW England can also remain fairly clear under a north easterly and especially a northerly compared to much of northern and eastern england and wales.

However, your right in saying the midlands and north england on average is frostier than Wales as a whole, though mid and east Wales is often on a par with the midlands and cheshire, Peak District regions. Indeed the Welsh Marches can be very frosty under certain set ups particularly when a cold high is overhead and when there is snow on the ground.

Posted

Well its currently 2.9 here now :hi:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot dry summers and very mild winters

No chance of frost here tonight. Currently 11C and I doubt it will drop much lower than that.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Most of England currently around the 8C mark, however shap is at 5C and Tulloch Bridge is leading the way again at 1C.

Posted

2.0c here similar to this time yesterday. A second successive September air frost very likely.

Posted

2.0c here similar to this time yesterday. A second successive September air frost very likely.

Very visible frost here now the fields are glowing white, much more so than last night although it's not as cold its currently -1

Posted

Another air frost

Low -0.2c.

Gone now cloudy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Posted

Great stuff had a nice frost here all be it melted by half seven due to cloud cover although today is techincally warmer with the colds it feels much colder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Lucky having a frost. Nothing below 5c here yet. :p

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

A bit of bumpage, for the people who still haven't had an air frost! Me included, my lowest since the June Solstice is 0.6C a couple days back, and it's likely I won't hit it tonight. But you never know, 4.1C at Durham currently.

The Lake District/Pennines area should get a frost tonight - 1.3C at Shap already, many other stations on wunderground.com have got less there aswell. It's 1.1 at Great Asby (OON) along with Great Dun Fell (at 847m) reporting -2C at 21:50 (no update since then). Cold night for us Northerners!

Posted

Apparently Benson reported -5.4C.

Posted

Apparently Benson reported -5.4C.

Yep. Along with Tulloch Bridge and Woodford under -4C, Eskdalemuir at -6C, and Sennybridge at -6.1C.

I got my first air frost since May 12th here, at -1.4C.

Posted

Yep. Along with Tulloch Bridge and Woodford under -4C, Eskdalemuir at -6C, and Sennybridge at -6.1C.

I got my first air frost since May 12th here, at -1.4C.

-6C and -6.1C must be close to the records for the date/month.

Posted

-6C and -6.1C must be close to the records for the date/month.

I think Tonyh on General Weather Chat pointed out that -8C has been reached in Cymru, and -11C in Alba, at Dalwhinnie. Not so sure on the date, but I think he posted a link.

Infact:

Ta-da!

Look at the bottom, it gives the record October lows.

Posted

Peter Gibbs just stated some parts of the country have seen their coldest october night for 15 years i.e. 1995. Can anyone confirm where exactly. Not sure how low Shap got to last night but I believe we saw -4 degrees, it was a very cold start reminiscent of many a morning during the last winter and made it feel like december had come early, shame we are going to see those dreaded south westerlies push the lovely dry cold air away.

Still it has been very good to see some frosty mornings this october, we had to wait until mid december last year for an equivalent cold night to last night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Temps fell to -3.2C here out in the sticks last night. For down here you often have to wait until November before you get an airfrost, already had the 3rd this year and very close to freezing again tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

First major frost last night, positive it'd be an airfrost but didn't have my thermometer out and need to get a new one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Dublin airport got to -3.3C yesterday. The lowest it reached between 61-90 in October was just -0.6C, so possibly a new record here? The lowest November temperature it recorded during the same period is just -3.4C!

Posted

Dublin airport got to -3.3C yesterday. The lowest it reached between 61-90 in October was just -0.6C, so possibly a new record here? The lowest November temperature it recorded during the same period is just -3.4C!

Yesterday?.........you sure your not on about sunday ? It was quite mild here yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Yesterday?.........you sure your not on about sunday ? It was quite mild here yesterday.

It would have been the early hours of yesterday morning I'm guessing, here's the link from the Met Eireann site here

Posted

It would have been the early hours of yesterday morning I'm guessing, here's the link from the Met Eireann site here

ye it probably was the early hours, as last nite my thermometer was ready 8.0 degrees , and im only 15 mins from the airport.

Still tough, some quite cold temps for october!