Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First Frost!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Aboyne is now at 5C.

Posted

At this juncture certainly looks like much of inland parts of mainland northern Britain will see a ground frost by the end of the week/over the weekend with one or two spots an air frost. Key factor will be level of cloud and wind strength as always, however, I think air temps will be very conducive with some quite cold uppers for the time of year. If anything early next week is looking increasingly like delivering the first widespread ground frost for the whole country as we see ridging of heights descending and building over the country under what will be a particularly cold airstream and more importantly we will be loosing any wind and cloud.

For me I am expecting perhaps a min of 3 degrees over the weekend but if those clearer skies build early next week every chance of a 1 degree but not yet a 0 degree.

Posted

Must say your excitement is really affecting your posts, wintry showers and cold spell discussion and its only the 14th of September. :shok:

Pffft well you obviously haven't heard positive weather solutions ramp interview, snow for high ground anyone? I don't know why Net Weather hasn't got the hype that BS  PS has achieved, I think next time BBC renew there contract with the Meto Net Weather should jump in and get us lot to do the forecasts   :) .

Anyway it's 9.5c here. 

Edited by 10123

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Single figures by night- must be September. (or any month of the year here!)

just complete dog biscuits!

What a great reason for deletion!

But since when were you a moderator? Undercover to delete all of frostyjoe's posts? (Not saying its a bad thing...)

Edited by RAIN RAIN RAIN

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

No chance of any sort of frost tonight. Far too much movement in the air - Reffering to the wind of course.

Going by the latest GFS it seems the weekend frost predictions have been downgraded with it now showing a tropical temperature hovering around 4-6c for many? The reason being is the switch to the Westerly winds. Correct me if I am wrong?

Posted

After a bit of a flurry of activity yesterday - me included this thread has gone very quiet today indicative of the chances of a widespread ground frost fast going down the pan in the reliable timeframe thanks to today's models. Shame, I was looking forward to some cold nights, now looking like Friday night will bring coldest conditions, plenty of 4's and 5's but not the 2's and 3's suggested yesterday and the weekend will likely see mid-high single digit mins sat evening, rising a bit on Sunday thanks to wind and cloud cover - ah well its only september..

Posted

After a bit of a flurry of activity yesterday - me included this thread has gone very quiet today indicative of the chances of a widespread ground frost fast going down the pan in the reliable timeframe thanks to today's models. Shame, I was looking forward to some cold nights, now looking like Friday night will bring coldest conditions, plenty of 4's and 5's but not the 2's and 3's suggested yesterday and the weekend will likely see mid-high single digit mins sat evening, rising a bit on Sunday thanks to wind and cloud cover - ah well its only september..

Yep, temps will probably be a tad higher than first thought but in rural areas, a touch of grass frost is certainly possible and for some, the next two nights(especially tomorrow night) will be the coldest of the Autumn so far.

Posted

Yep, temps will probably be a tad higher than first thought but in rural areas, a touch of grass frost is certainly possible and for some, the next two nights(especially tomorrow night) will be the coldest of the Autumn so far.

Yes compared to prospects this time yesterday the chances of widespread ground frost tomorrow night have risen significantly thanks to building of weak heights moving in from the west under the cold air source. BBC were showing rural parts of East Wales and west midlands close to or at 0 degrees and much of rural mainland england below 4 degrees. So some spots could record an air frost tomorrow. Scotland isn't looking quite so cold thanks to more cloud and wind.

Posted

Dropped to 1.3C here, which has left the car icy, but the grass isn't. I'd have thought we'd get a ground frost from that. Perhaps we did, but since my expensive grass thermometer has been "reconfigured" by my daughter, I'll never know.

Posted

Dropped to 1.3C here, which has left the car icy, but the grass isn't. I'd have thought we'd get a ground frost from that. Perhaps we did, but since my expensive grass thermometer has been "reconfigured" by my daughter, I'll never know.

No signs of ground frost here with low of 2.6C but that will be to the wind.

Posted

4.6C with no ground frost here :angry:

Tonight and tomorrow morning look better though!

Looks like increasing cloud tonight should mean temps will begin to rise past midnight.

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

Well at least you had a car frost, lol, seriously though; I would say, you almost certainly had a ground frost with the air temperature dropping to 1.3c.

What happened to your new grass thermometer? If it has been given a good shake, all is not lost, it should be repairable. I had a similar problem with mine. Next doors cat jumped on the end sending it flying 4 feet in to the air, landing in a near by conifer tree.

The alcohol had separated in to about 30 bubbles and the indicator was submerged as well. At first I though it was kn**

But I fixed mine by doing the following: This only works with a minimum thermometer.

Hold the bulb end of the minimum thermometer over a hot a hot cup of water, note: do not submerge, as that will almost certainly burst it. Just hover the bulb as near as possible to the hot water, this will allow the alcohol to return to the bulb, when every last drop has returned, the indicator should also be freed up, allow the thermometer to return to room temperature and all should be well.

Edit: oh dear, I have just read about your adventures with your grass thermometer in the ‘measuring ground frosts' thread, it sound the damage was more than just bubbles :angry:

Edited by Polar Continental

Posted

I got my own back by re-enacting the Great Fire Of London with my youngest's Syvalnian Family collection.

"Can you hear the Cottontail family screaming? That's because they're on fire...because you broke my thermometer. You've killed them....not me."

Does anyone want to buy half a grass thermometer?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

I got my own back by re-enacting the Great Fire Of London with my youngest's Syvalnian Family collection.

"Can you hear the Cottontail family screaming? That's because they're on fire...because you broke my thermometer. You've killed them....not me."

Does anyone want to buy half a grass thermometer?

Not from someone who kills dolls :unsure:

:air_kiss:

So, Tucco, where dy'a think i'll get down to tonight?

Posted

Not from someone who kills dolls :unsure:

:air_kiss:

So, Tucco, where dy'a think i'll get down to tonight?

Perhaps similar to last night. Milder/cloudier air is moving in overnight. Perhaps 4/5C before rising a couple of degrees before dawn.

Posted

Perhaps similar to last night. Milder/cloudier air is moving in overnight. Perhaps 4/5C before rising a couple of degrees before dawn.

Righto. So, you'll probably get 2c again? I heard that at 1013mb, the temperature drops 0.65c every 100m. So on average, your temperatures should be roughly 2c below mine...

Posted

Righto. So, you'll probably get 2c again? I heard that at 1013mb, the temperature drops 0.65c every 100m. So on average, your temperatures should be roughly 2c below mine...

0.65C per 100m is the average lapse rate but there are other factors at play when comparing our locations. On average is probably closer to 2.5/3C difference. The difference between min temps will be closer due my hill side location preventing low minima. Much higher rainfall/cloud/wind, resulting in lower maxima will be the greatest difference.

My new grass thermometer is already reading just 5.2C, so could manage a ground frost here tonight.

Air temp down to 6.7C here. Should reach similar temp to last night but much lighter wind means should achieve ground frost.

Posted

Could be the first air frost here tonight, a ground frost should be assured

Currently 9.6c and its not that clear as yet.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

I'm certainly not happy. Despite the GFS giving me a low of 5c on the 06z, it's turned to 7c on 12z. Currently 9.8c with 74% humidity. Not as cold as last night though...

I'll never get a summer ground frost (June 21 - September 23)

Posted

Patchy cloud stalling and could scupper things...8.1c.