Convective Weather General Discussion

Coast

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Squall like conditions here with tiny hail stones! :clap:

Guest FireStorm

Shame your not further East Neil.. the eastern tip looked like it caught a pounding. Flash flooding Margate area wouldnt be a surprise

Posted

For all of those that didn't get a storm last Saturday (22nd) I was in France near to Cognac and we had a 10 hour storm with no breaks in electrical activity. Also reached 39C last Thursday (not a misprint).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I can confirm that the squall over Norfolk delivered some thunder and lightning over Norwich. It was a big surprise, as the day up until then had been dull with mostly light/moderate drizzly rain- I didn't expect a thunderstorm to turn up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

For all of those that didn't get a storm last Saturday (22nd) I was in France near to Cognac and we had a 10 hour storm with no breaks in electrical activity. Also reached 39C last Thursday (not a misprint).

I was in Paris last weekend and it was in the low 30s, then on Sunday (23rd) there was some pretty severe thunderstorms as I travelled up towards Belgium. Also, prior to last weekend I had 2 weeks in the Alps where there was lots of intense thunderstorms interspersed with hot sunshine, though on one day (Monday 16th) it was about 10°C with rain, and heavy snow on the mountains. The next day was 27°C. The weather in this country really is boring!

Anyway, back OT: lots of heavy blustery showers today, with one torrential one this morning, though more like the type of showers you get in a winter northerly than a summer downpour.

Posted

Reasonable thundery potential Monday onwards surely, that cold front/trough looks like being mighty strong and convective showers following on behind, perhaps the 17 month storm drought will end.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

yes there are risk on monday and tue and wed next week but were about at the mo we dont know:)

I'm flying Wednesday night so am really hoping things are too rocky!!!

But yeah bring on storms Mon/Tues please :air_kiss:

Does seem like there could be some potential Monday night into Tuesday - storms look possible to set off across C/N France, and then drift NW through the evening. Whether they'll be sufficient large enough to make it this far remains to be seen!

Posted

A very unexpected BBC Points West forecast with Richard Angwin earlier this evening.

All earlier forecasts had suggested tomorrow (Sat 4th) to be a dry day with increasing cloud during

the afternoon due to a very weak front moving in from the West.

However, on this evening's forecast, showers were shown toi break out over Somerset/Devon during the afternoon

and then more widely by the evening. Wording was that some will be heavy and there could be thunder.

I wonder if ian Fergusson is around to bring his professional West Country viewpoint?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Sounds exciting next wk, this thread can come out of hibernation then..(:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Any idea what's supposed to come of this front moving across this afternoon. Any thundery potential at all? Lots of threatening clouds around and warm sunshine but no radar echoes to support anything.

Posted

Not much Mike, had a sharp showery burst of rain within the last hour but it's all falling from the

higher based Altocumulus style cloud and the sky is now clearing to a fine evening.

It's been good to have an unstable sky to look at since mid-morning though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Yes,I am most certainly looking forward to Tuesday:D But we must remember it can all be downgraded by then.:D let's hope not anyway.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Not much Mike, had a sharp showery burst of rain within the last hour but it's all falling from the

higher based Altocumulus style cloud and the sky is now clearing to a fine evening.

It's been good to have an unstable sky to look at since mid-morning though!

Shame really as it really did look quite promising for a lot of the day. Better luck on Tues onwards though I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Looking like an interesting few days to come. just hope it stays warm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Looking good for England & Wales for isolated chance for storms into SW parts of UK. Unstable conditions arriving late Monday into SW UK. Becoming more widespread into Tuesday & possibly Wednesday with daytime heating could lead to some isolated thunderstorms and possible hail especially early in the week.

Charts looking okay at the moment.

post-3297-051090900 1283701043_thumb.gif

Not sure about temps or dew points, maybe someone can add to this

post-3297-019403800 1283701120_thumb.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

yes bbc weather for the week did say there was risk of some nusty storms from mid week but we nerver know becuse we been let down a lot this year

Just a chance at the moment Stuart, looks quite unsettled for quite a bit of next week though.

Posted

It looks intresting this coming week hopefully people who havn't seen a storm this summer may finaly see one :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

Looks like some really heavy rain pulsing up the cold front off the west coast at the mo, theres been a few sferics here and there too. Heres to a stormy week :lol: