Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Weather General Discussion

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

A bloke on a car forum I'm on posted this quality lightning vid from Manchester today...

http://www.flickr.co...os/5017816836/#

Thats awesome, glad so many people got some spectacular weather today :)

That line does look good on the radar. Like you say, plenty of sferics detected. Might be worth a little chase if your in that area.

Doubt you'll see this jamo_s but I left after I read that and Im so glad I did! Best storm of the year for me. Best Ive seen in the UK since 15th June last year in Norfolk. Infact good enough that Im only a little jealous of you West Midlanders!

There was no hail where it went over me (Newbury Showground J13 M4) but I saw some CGs on approach and whales mouth, followed by some fantastic IC bolts. Then as the sun came out after it backlit the clouds and gave some brilliant crepuscular effects and a rainbow with lightning still going on. Twas a good watering for the storm drought wastes of my mind :blink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

It was an amazing sight over here, but can only imagine what it was like in the Wolverhampton and Walsall areas, given they were pretty much directly underneath the cell at the time the storm was at its most intense. Looking back through radar, the storm progressed slowly eastward whilst building on its southern edge, giving the illusion that it was moving ever so slightly southward as well... could have easily missed the downpour and overhead flashes of lightning. Were also a few bright flashes and deep thunder to my ENE as it exited this region.

So disappointed that my camera wasn't fully charged, though. I did charge it fully today but used up a lot of the battery life on other cells near this area earlier this afternoon, and so only had a few minutes left to catch some of the lightning while it was over Wolverhampton.

But overall, it was an amazing evening. Definitely one of the best storms I've seen in recent years, though that's not too difficult to achieve lol. But really was great in its own right.

Was pretty fabulous i have to say!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

At least i had a downpour, around 8pm, looked great moving in with the anvils, but no storm again.

Maybe next year summer 2011 could be active, you dont get two in a row of no-storms SE england? i dont remember such a summer with just a few rumbles in all, it cant happen again.

Posted

Well what an end to the day that was!!! Only storm I can relate it to in terms of intensity was the one in Telford in '95 which lasted nearly 4 hours. We have a flooded porch due to seal broken so all our shoes are wet! lol. I had to comfort my son as he was screaming to start with but fell asleep mid-storm. Last thing I want is for me to pass my phobia onto him so had headphones on but made a fuss of him too.

Anyway, cracking storm... best in years!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

just a quick post from me, as I'm having to use the wolverhampton library computer.....What a day yesterday for both good and bad reasons!.....The good? a violent thunderstorm, lots of CG's and crashing thunder, from about 5:45-7:30pm last night!....The bad?....jeez, not good as I have no phone line, no internet, no computer, no sky tv, and no television in general!....Yep, my house and one other in Penkridge got struck by lightning last night, and has fried quite a few of my electrical appliances....I'll have to wait until monday for the BT engineers to fix the lines and do their thing, had the emergency electrician out last night to fix the fuse boards, and spend most of the evening on the mobile to the insurance company...what a nightmare!

Anyhoos, I caught the moment on my video cam and will upload it next week when I'm back on-line...Its pretty cool footage though, I was outside at the time, you see the flash, hear the crack, and hear my step-daughter's voice saying that there's lightning in the house!!

Anyhoos, I'll have to sign off now, should be back on next week :D

Posted

Well what an end to the day that was!!! Only storm I can relate it to in terms of intensity was the one in Telford in '95 which lasted nearly 4 hours. We have a flooded porch due to seal broken so all our shoes are wet! lol. I had to comfort my son as he was screaming to start with but fell asleep mid-storm. Last thing I want is for me to pass my phobia onto him so had headphones on but made a fuss of him too.

Anyway, cracking storm... best in years!

OMG this year is taking the mick now- we didn't get so much as a single rumble of thunder in Shrewsbury yesterday! Could see CBs on the E horizon but was clear overhead- to think there was anything like that 1995 storm so close makes me sick to the stomach. After missing 90% of the fun last winter, having the cloudiest July on record- now this! I hate this town's weather, or lack of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Had a pretty intense thunderstorm come through at about 3:30am. Lots of loud thunder and got a few lightning pics from the window. Best storm in years here but that isn't actually saying much :D

Got to work and have a flooded office with 6 computers swimming in water I now need to replace... not happy anymore...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Had a pretty intense thunderstorm come through at about 3:30am. Lots of loud thunder and got a few lightning pics from the window. Best storm in years here but that isn't actually saying much :)

Got to work and have a flooded office with 6 computers swimming in water I now need to replace... not happy anymore...

I think its a reminder to us all that although we crave a good storm and wish them upon our area that bad and negative things can come from them too! They can't be manufactered in a massive glass tank with a fake city underneith where any consequences are not at all felt.

Oh well, whens the next storm coming to my area? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

It was an amazing sight over here, but can only imagine what it was like in the Wolverhampton and Walsall areas, given they were pretty much directly underneath the cell at the time the storm was at its most intense. Looking back through radar, the storm progressed slowly eastward whilst building on its southern edge, giving the illusion that it was moving ever so slightly southward as well... could have easily missed the downpour and overhead flashes of lightning. Were also a few bright flashes and deep thunder to my ENE as it exited this region.

So disappointed that my camera wasn't fully charged, though. I did charge it fully today but used up a lot of the battery life on other cells near this area earlier this afternoon, and so only had a few minutes left to catch some of the lightning while it was over Wolverhampton.

But overall, it was an amazing evening. Definitely one of the best storms I've seen in recent years, though that's not too difficult to achieve lol. But really was great in its own right.

Spot on observations W09 and your forecasts before yesterday's event :good:

I managed to time-lapse the moment of collision, pretty much over the centre of the city which show a few brief funnel clouds

Filmed through a haze of aphids which were swarming in biblical proportions (They must have read the charts - funny how they always know when there's a storm about ) :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls2KLw0vl0U

edit. how do you get the video directly on to the page??? :wallbash:

Edited by windypants

Posted
  • Location: Bedworth , 5 Miles North Of Coventry , 3 Miles South Of Nuneaton

Spot on observations W09 and your forecasts before yesterday's event :good:

I managed to time-lapse the moment of collision, pretty much over the centre of the city which show a few brief funnel clouds

Filmed through a haze of aphids which were swarming in biblical proportions (They must have read the charts - funny how they always know when there's a storm about ) :D

(http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Ls2KLw0vl0U)

edit. how do you get the video directly on to the page??? :wallbash:

when I try to load your link it says the url is invalid

Posted

A bloke on a car forum I'm on posted this quality lightning vid from Manchester today...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monkiphotos/5017816836/#

Shame Fergie wasn't on the roof!

just a quick post from me, as I'm having to use the wolverhampton library computer.....What a day yesterday for both good and bad reasons!.....The good? a violent thunderstorm, lots of CG's and crashing thunder, from about 5:45-7:30pm last night!....The bad?....jeez, not good as I have no phone line, no internet, no computer, no sky tv, and no television in general!....Yep, my house and one other in Penkridge got struck by lightning last night, and has fried quite a few of my electrical appliances....I'll have to wait until monday for the BT engineers to fix the lines and do their thing, had the emergency electrician out last night to fix the fuse boards, and spend most of the evening on the mobile to the insurance company...what a nightmare!

Anyhoos, I caught the moment on my video cam and will upload it next week when I'm back on-line...Its pretty cool footage though, I was outside at the time, you see the flash, hear the crack, and hear my step-daughter's voice saying that there's lightning in the house!!

Anyhoos, I'll have to sign off now, should be back on next week :D

AJ, hope things can be sorted quickly for you. Looking forward to seeing the video next week, sometimes you can get more than you want from the weather!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Currently getting a downpour with tiny bits of hail :D

EDIT : Really coming down now , no thunder though

Edited by neilsouth

Posted

when I try to load your link it says the url is invalid

Sorry mate

Try this

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Ls2KLw0vl0U

edit Having trouble uploading to youtube :cc_confused:

Edited by windypants

Posted

Took this earlier:

Will upload more tomorrow!

Hey Blizzards great video

If that was around 7.45 then i guess iv'e timelapsed the same cell

this cell was directly to the West of Warley Woods, which is the ridge in the foreground, I'm in Harborne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0moj3o68OU

will somehow? try to brighten later on :cc_confused:

Edited by windypants

Posted

True. I think the darkening skies helped with the effect of the lightning, but it sure was amazing :D

@weather09: Fair enough. Wolverhampton and Walsall did seem to be in the ultimate position of that storm. But wow, didn't realise it was that close that you would have almost missed it. You're very lucky then and for getting the best storm in recent years is certainly great news.

Shame about the recorded footage, though.

Not to worry.. at least you had the prettiest clouds over your side :cc_confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHfyU7Mq7u0

Posted

I was thinking today how amazing it would have been to have been on top of Beacon hill while the storm was raging across the region... nothing to obscure the view and being able to view lightning stretching across the entire sky!

Look forward to the video! :D

Thanks for the tech info

It might have got a bit hairy on the top of Beacon Hill...Caught this arc right on the top of Barr Beacon :cc_confused:

gallery_12214_723_93307.jpg

and you would have been underneath this monster-best full screen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXxIKf4V0Xk

Edited by windypants

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Heres another video from yesterday. :cc_confused:

Hi windypants, yes these videos were taken between approx 7:20 to 8pm ish. :D

Posted

Sorry mate

Try this

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Ls2KLw0vl0U

edit Having trouble uploading to youtube :cc_confused:

Nice Video

Can Happily watch all these now there over

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Heres my final 2 videos from last night. :angry:

The 3rd Video:

And the final video! :D

And here is a video from Littleworth, Worcester, Worcestershire giving a stunning view of the storm over us last night.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/herefordandworcester/hi/people_and_places/nature/newsid_9030000/9030691.stm

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Great videos, Blizzards. :angry: You had a good view of the storm, some lovely IC / CC lightning in there! And I love the view of the storm in the video on the news link... a great view of the storm's structure! Though the cloud height doesn't look particularly high. But looks amazing nonetheless.

May I ask, were these videos taken as storm was dying down? Just that the lightning doesn't seem as frequent as it looked last night when the storm was at its peak.

Thanks, the videos were more near the start tbh. The lightning frequency was more than this for a time but even these videos the frequency is some 20 secs or so. :D

The view of the storm couldnt have been better i think. The distance allowed excellent view for the camera.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Just makes me wish I could have got video of the storm that was over and around Norwich about 4 years back. I have never seen an electrical storm like it. I thought to myself this must be a supercell but I know that supercells are rotating storms. There was no way of knowing that as it was getting dark then totally dark when I got underneith it. I wasn't a subscriber to net weather at the time but my guess was that it be an mcs. That was not your average storm and the strange thing was, before I knew there was a severe electrical storm nearby I was at the coast dropping off an ex at the time and I caught a bolt of lightning in the corner of my eye and there were no clouds about. It proves that lightning can go a long way away from a storm!

I just wish I had that storm documented. I may never see a storm like that in my life again :D but it was nice to have witnessed it with my own eyes :cold:

Posted

Thanks all who have shared and are still going to share footage of the storms. Its great to see what people have witnessed during the outbreak! :hi:

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Wish i could watch more of the video weather09 but the camera work is so bad its made me feel quite nauseous, nevertheless impressive storm..!! I missed the storms here yesterday as i was working in a very noisy kitchen missed everything but i did catch some great convection around lunch time. Oh well there's always next year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Great video here of the storm last night - shows well the frequency of the lightning, and the thunder gives you a feel for how strong some of the bolts were. Couple of them over this house were ground shakers. Really wish I had been in Wolverhampton while this storm was at its most intense.

That is brilliant stuff! So weird to think i was watching the same storm from NE Walsall. It was huge! Watched it roll in just like that!