Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Walkers Guess Where It Will Rain And Win £10

westysweather

Posted

Well got let down a treat today in Northern Ireland , 2 days ago GFS had heavy rain in the area throughout the whole day, In reality a little light rain passed through southern Ireland breaking up as it did. Yet again I would have been better off in the Midlands which 2 days ago GFS had dry. I think we need to work out which Model has the most accurate rainfall data , cause it isn't GFS .

Have gone for Northern Ireland yet again tomorrow between 2 and 5 and have a spot North of Glasgow for Tuesday .. This game is a lot harder than first thought .

Posted

I think the NAE is best Chris but the version we see only goes out to +48 so not much good for this game. The NMM is similarly good on NW Extra, but I can't remember how far out that one goes. Not currently a full subscriber, have a radar only subscription to keep me going until winter, so can't use the NMM just at the minute.

Picked a late square in southern Scotland for Tuesday, again in the late afternoon period. As expected my square in N. Devon yesterday didn't payout.

It did win yesterday, a case of hoping that the rain pushes into SW Ireland early today. I have gone for Central Ireland tomorrow, but GFS keeps moving where it is likely to hit.

For the first time, I have won despite thinking I hadn't, the square in the far SW of Ireland won yesterday despite no rain I thought.

Today's certainly hasn't won, GFS let me down. For Tomorrow I have gone for the West coast of Ireland, as NW Scotland was full up.

Posted

For the first time, I have won despite thinking I hadn't, the square in the far SW of Ireland won yesterday despite no rain I thought.

Today's certainly hasn't won, GFS let me down. For Tomorrow I have gone for the West coast of Ireland, as NW Scotland was full up.

Yeah, I thought my square today would do very well as it was 'supposed to be' under persistent rain all day long. Unfortunately the warm front decided to stop further south than forecast, so my square has stayed dry pretty much all day.

Posted

Not sure if my square in central west Ireland won today, there was some rain there between 8-11am however it looked light and patchy in nature, so perhaps not. Saw looking at some other runs/the MetO and BBC maps that the rain may well have been south of Northern Ireland but may well still have gone a bit too far west and north.

Managed to get my brother £10 on Friday though as he asked me to choose the location for him and his square was sat under the rain in Ireland between 8-11am

Went for NW Ireland tomorrow and Southern Scotland on Tuesday.

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl

Hi Guys,

Received my £10 cheque yesterday for my prediction from Tuesday, 11am - 2pm down in West Wales - grid 28062 !!

Fair play, they send it out really quick and this is a good bit of fun.

JK

Just received this in an e-mail

So far we have given away £662,130 and with over 21,000 grid-spots available every day we have plenty of potential £10's up for grabs, so what are you waiting for?

OUCH! that is a lot of money. Well done to the winners :)

Edited by cuckoo

Posted

After £50 from Monday to Friday last week have had 3 blank days (Sat-Mon) :nonono:

Have Stranraer today from 2-5pm so lets hope that rain over NI Gets a move on!!!

Paul S

Posted

Neither of my two squares in Ireland won yesterday. Yet again the rain moved through much quicker than initially forecast.

My pick today in East Dumfries & Galloway looks promising though, with a lot of rain moving through the area this afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Yesterdays square did win but I picked the wrong time slot in Northwest Scotland but todays in Northern Ireland must surely have won in the 2pm-5pm slot so not too bad :yahoo:

Posted

On another note there seems to be a lot more people playing at the moment. Thursday's grid is almost completely filled already and Friday's must be about 60% filled.

Not really sure why Wales is so much more popular than Ireland on Friday? I've gone for a spot in S. Ireland.

Posted

On another note there seems to be a lot more people playing at the moment. Thursday's grid is almost completely filled already and Friday's must be about 60% filled.

Not really sure why Wales is so much more popular than Ireland on Friday? I've gone for a spot in S. Ireland.

Same here! Gone for 2pm-5pm based on the GFS and the UKMO! Might put another one on during the morning depending on the 0z. May have won today however its touch and go (went for a spot in south west Scotland) 11am to 2pm. Radar showed some rain from around 1pm, but it was a bit patchy. Got another one for south west Scotland on Thursday. Got £30 so far with my dad on £10. To be honest I'm happy with just £30 because its the first time i have won something in what seems like years :lol:

Posted

:lol: Lol well I went for Stranraer for 2-5pm today, dont know about 1mm but they might have had 40mm by the looks of the radar.

Oh and after thinking my square lost yesterday I got sent an Email this afternoon saying it was a Winner, dont know what that Irish radar is doing but my square definately did not receive any rain in my Time slot yesterday but hey I am not going to rock the boat :D:p:hi:

Paul S

Posted

It was like that yesterday for Thursday - all of Wales was picked, but S Ireland was virtually empty, when a look at the GFS (yesterday) would indicate S Ireland was far more favourable.

£70 so far and looks like my 2 today have won.

Posted

Aye, an easy win for me today in the Galloway hills - although even the 06z MetO Meso was suggesting little if any rain there this afternoon!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

4 out of 4 for our family yesterday- I had only expected 2 as the Irish picks did not look above 1mm! Looks like 1, possibly 2 out of 2 today.

Thank goodness that Ireland does not fill up as I am struggling to get other favourable areas such as SW Scotland, NW England and Wales in, its certainly increased in popularity this week!

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

Following yesterday's media publicity it looks like a lot more people have started doing this - as a result, Friday's square filled up completely by yesterday evening and it looks like the same will happen today to Saturday's square - you need to get in quick as soon as the squares are 'released' at 8.00am!

Posted

Following yesterday's media publicity it looks like a lot more people have started doing this - as a result, Friday's square filled up completely by yesterday evening and it looks like the same will happen today to Saturday's square - you need to get in quick as soon as the squares are 'released' at 8.00am!

Oh was that the problem? I tried at midnight and both days were full to the brim, but I thought it was just a technical fault.

But when I refreshed it they both appeared empty?!

Edited by staplehurst

Posted

I've had the refresh (empty/full) issue as well and also noticed that normally I play at 6.00am in the morning for 2 days in advance i.e today at 6.00am for Friday, but was unfortunately not able to and had to wait until 9.00am to play for saturday morning.

This is a real pain as that extra 24 hrs seriously brings down the percentage success.

What really amazed me was that even the no chance Friday squares had gone this morning.

Posted

I won yesterday, but didn't receive the e-mail so I thought I hadn't at first. Up to £60 total winnings! :clap:

Getting much harder though with the increased number of players. What media publicity did it get?

Edited by NorthantsSnow

Posted

I tried to record an entry for Fri 5th this morning but the whole map was already full. Even tried the 'Lucky Drip' option but that said no squares were available. I picked a square for Sat 6th instead.

But my 2 squares for today have both won! Total winnings now £40. :clap: Money for nothing, considering I'd have bought the crisps anyway.

Posted

This is a real pain as that extra 24 hrs seriously brings down the percentage success.

Yes, going to make it a lot harder :(

What really amazed me was that even the no chance Friday squares had gone this morning.

They'd all gone by 11pm last night!

Getting much harder though with the increased number of players. What media publicity did it get?

Several newspapers ran stories about how much it was costing Walkers.