Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Lows - general discussion

Cookie

Posted

What? Windy up here again John........lol

Thought I'd best mention it as a risk-its so unusual for your area?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Not surprisingly Massive and widespread damage in the Faroes in the wake of the hurricane force storm, equivalent to a weak cat 2 hurricane at it's peak according to some reports with gusts getting close to 130mph!!

A dedicated facebook page here with some pictures of the damage.

https://www.facebook...4019374?sk=wall

http://www.news24.co...ricane-20111125

http://www.icenews.i...ne-force-storm/

Edited by Liam J

Posted

NAE showing tomorrows storm slightly deeper than the GFS on the 18z runs, also the NAE has picked up on an interesting secondary/shortwave feature under the main depression with an area of very strong winds, pics below.

One to watch on future runs, still a bit of uncertainty of the exact detail even at this short time frame.

The GFS 18z has downgraded the wind speeds slightly and is now starting to agree with the other models. Still I feel a few minor adjustments will happen over the next 12 hours.

I've just finished making a wind map for Saturday night and the early hours into Sunday. I will update this again tomorrow evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

The steady wind at the Faero Islands at 0600z was 270/57kts.

2 more knots and I could take-off in my little Cessna 172, without moving!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Created a storm/gale risk chart here, using GFS/NAE 18z data,

Posted

A slight upgrade in wind speeds from the GFS 00z run for areas in NW England adjacent to the irish sea IOM/Cumbria with mean speeds aroud 40-47mph later on, it's going to be very windy all day with gales likely and gusts of 50-60mph and later tonight and into Sunday potential for gusts around 70mph+ over Northern Britain.

Met Office NW England forecast.

Headline:

Wet and very windy.

Today:

Very windy, with widespread gales and potentially damaging gusts. Spells of rain are likely throughout, most persistent in the north and turning heavy here for a time around the middle of the day. Mild in shelter from the wind. Maximum temperature 12 °C.

Tonight:

Remaining very windy, with gales continuing overnight. Spells of rain will become heavy for a time during the early hours before clearing away around dawn. Mild. Minimum temperature 6 °C.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Looks like the the Midlands northwards is going to take a battering over the next 48 hours, there's the pottencial for some fairly nasty winds and rain further south as we head towards the middle of next week! :bomb:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

If you ask me the Met Office are completely dissmissing the possibility of disruptive winds across southern England tonight and tommorow morning even though the latest forecast I saw on the BBC News showed the arrows sweeping across us like a dart board lol :unsure:

Posted

If you ask me the Met Office are completely dissmissing the possibility of disruptive winds across southern England tonight and tommorow morning even though the latest forecast I saw on the BBC News showed the arrows sweeping across us like a dart board lol :unsure:

That's because disruptive wind strengths aren't being forecast to affect Southern England, perhaps gusts around 40-50mph max in exposed areas.

Posted

Just starting to increase here now, Gust 24.5Mph, 1018.7 now falling very rapidly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

http://www.weathercast.co.uk/world-weather/weather-stations/obsid/3065.html

Another wild one atop the Cairngorms today

137 km/h windspeed and 183 km/h gusting.

Where's my kite ?

Posted

we are already at 55.5 mph ,in eoropie ness

and it looks nasty for the next week according to the data on here

Posted

only slightly windy here was quite windy when i woke this morning but seems to have eased off but its still flipping raining. temp 11.1c

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Pretty quiet here probably too far south to be effected once again. Max gust 44 mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

It is a pity this atlantic barrelling is not affecting the whole of the BI.

What we have here is a full on Autumn day, in a sense blowing away the cobwebs. Also a real sense of change in terms of the stalemate provided over many recent weeks from the resident Scandi-Euro High.

Not the most pleasant weather to be out and about in, but when you are inside in the evening and hear the wind rattling everything - it is all good.

Notable sounds include, whistling at the big gusts, trees getting blasted around and also the traditional left out wheelie bin getting spun around the street..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme - anything but dull and dreary. The snowier the better.

Pretty quiet here probably too far south to be effected once again. Max gust 44 mph.

I think that although you're northern enough, you may simple be too sheltered.

Capel Curig in Snowdonia has seen 68mph gusts this morning, and Aberdaron on the tip of the Llyn peninsula most recently recorded winds of 48mph, with gusts of 66mph.

Both of which are much further south than yourself.

(wind information courtesy of MetO)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

I think that although you're northern enough, you may simple be too sheltered.

Capel Curig in Snowdonia has seen 68mph gusts this morning, and Aberdaron on the tip of the Llyn peninsula most recently recorded winds of 48mph, with gusts of 66mph.

Both of which are much further south than yourself.

(wind information courtesy of MetO)

Not sheltered here mate wind comes straight across from the moors. Managed 50 mph. Just one of those things some times you get hit other times you don't.