Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Lows - general discussion

Cookie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Still a good gale blowing here on the coast gusting around 55mph+

Looks like it could be even windier During Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Weatheronline forecast for Saturday >>

Saturday

An increasingly very windy day with gale to severe gales developing in the west. Outbreaks of rain will affect Scotland, Northern Ireland and northern England and this becomes a bit heavier with some rain into West Wales later this afternoon with gales in the west. A dry day across The Midlands, East Anglia and the south of England. This evening those severe gales develop with storm force winds to 80mph possible in the north with the potential for damaging gusts across Scotland, Northern Ireland and northern England. Rain in the north sweeps south in the night. Expect highs of 10 to 13C.

Absolutely stunning satellite images of the storm

http://www.sat24.com/?culture=en

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

This is the best satellite work I have found online so far.

yr.no Norwegian Meto.

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

Never seen anything quite like that before - the speed of development is incredible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

This is the best satellite work I have found online so far.

yr.no Norwegian Meto.

http://www.yr.no/sat..._animasjon.html

Never seen anything quite like that before - the speed of development is incredible.

Nice! Couldn't find a better depiction of a classic Atlantic Low in all its glory :)

Posted

Although less severe, storm number two around 970hpa will impact more of the UK during the early morning of Sunday, Northern England Northwards likely to experience severe gales and possibly damaging wind gusts.

Saturday looks like it'll be very windy throughout the day with gales for many, the winds really ramping up during Saturday night into Sunday.

Edited by Liam J

Akraberg weather station in Faroe islands is recording a mean speed of 86mph! It doesn't report wind gusts but they would likely be in the low 100mph.

As for Saturday the GFS 18z has downgraded the low a bit for Saturday night but the ECM, UKMO and NAE are all saying it will be slightly further north. By tomorrow we will have a better idea for sure.

My highest gust today was 71mph at 4pm which is the same highest gust for this month that I recorded on the 3rd of November.

Edited by weathermaster

Posted

Well into hurricane force @ 139 km/h (86 mph) mean speeds!! :help: :help: :help:

http://www.wundergro...O/Akraberg.html

I hope everyone is staying safe in the faroes right now, that is exceptional wind strength.

Edited by Liam J

Well into hurricane force @ 139 km/h (86 mph) mean speeds!! :help: :help: :help:

http://www.wundergro...O/Akraberg.html

I hope everyone is staying safe in the faroes right now, that is exceptional wind strength.

It really is bad up there. It's saying on that site for me it was last updated 3 hours ago about 9pm local time so I wonder if their without power.

Edited by weathermaster

Posted

00Z is an upgrade to the 18Z, the pressure deepening to 972mb instead of 976mb. I think GFS is becoming quite sure with the track, which takes the low over Orkney. I think this storm could be quite similar to the one we had in May this year, but not in terms of damage because trees aren't in leaf anymore, but in terms of wind speeds.

Posted

Windy old night up here! Top gust was recrded at the Met Station in Lerwick at 75mph. I had 60mph which is not bad considering I'm at a lower elevation and somewhat sheltered from the SW! Wintry mix of rain/hail/graupel this morning and feeling very cold - wind chill currently -1C.

Some heavy hail showers over night with strong gusty winds.

The weather models are still unsure on what will happen on Saturday night as the UKMO and ECM still seem confident it will be further North but the GFS continues to bring it further south.

The Met Office also have brought out new warnings,

SW Scotland, Lothian Borders and Orkney, Shetland.

Very windy again with gusts reaching gale force and locally severe gale in most prone locations. The public should be prepared for potentially damaging winds, particularly in NE England where travel disruption is possible.

Latest http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html?day=2

Posted

Windy old night up here! Top gust was recrded at the Met Station in Lerwick at 75mph. I had 60mph which is not bad considering I'm at a lower elevation and somewhat sheltered from the SW! Wintry mix of rain/hail/graupel this morning and feeling very cold - wind chill currently -1C.

The steady wind at the Faero Islands at 0600z was 270/57kts.

Posted

Yoda.gif System far out at the other side of the Atlantic there is:

post-6667-0-19476700-1322228431.gif

Posted

Heavy rain/hail with a temperature of 5.c, been like this for most of the day.

Winds gusting up to 45 mph, marked increase in gusts over last hour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Looks like the Met Office have an Amber Warning out now for the wind over the weekend!

Posted

we maxed out at 87.8 mph around 3am last night.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...slands-15891950

sadly a life was lost yesterday, I firmly bealive yesterdays winds warranted a code orange at least by the met office!

A woman who died after her car left the road and ended up in a loch on Harris in the Western Isles has been named by police.

Lorna MacDonald, from Stornoway, was 26 and had worked as a speech therapist.

The incident happened at 16:00 on Thursday on the A859 between Tarbert and Leverburgh.

Ms MacDonald was taken by ambulance to the Western Isles Hospital where she died. Witnesses to the incident have been asked to contact the police.

Lifting equipment was deployed to recover the vehicle, which went into the loch about half a mile from Horsacleit.

It is not known whether gale force winds in the area contributed to the crash. Northern Constabulary said conditions were particularly wild.

Police, Highlands and Islands Fire and Rescue Service and coastguard personnel were involved in the recovery operation

my quoting was very bad thier!

Edited by cookie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Yeah looks like I may have to cancel plans tomorrow! Lets see what it brings!!

Posted

a swathe of 50+ knots around the low predicted on the 12z GFS as it tracks, according to the 12z, close by the N Isles.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

a swathe of 50+ knots around the low predicted on the 12z GFS as it tracks, according to the 12z, close by the N Isles.

Thanks John :-)

Posted

Large warning area on the Meto severe warnings page, Stangely much of N&W Scotland which should be covered by the warning isn't with the focus being N Ireland, N England and N Wales and S Scotland/Central Scotland. The Meto mention severe gales and the public should be prepared for potentially damaging winds in the shaded areas.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

Edited by Liam J

Posted

What? Windy up here again John........lol