Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Lows - general discussion

Cookie

Posted

Starting to get windy across the UK some places already hitting 60mph gusts.

I figure we are a long way away from the centre of the depression as it's just nudging 1-3kts down here.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme - anything but dull and dreary. The snowier the better.

going to be a wild night here by the looks of its, gusts of 80mph forecasted for here!

I apologise. What I meant was, sheltered from the western coast. It seems the coastal areas are being battered worst.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Not to much to get excited about away from Scotland but gales will affect parts of Northern England and Wales gusting around 60mph+ later tonight with 80mph possible over Scotland, the coming week looks good for wind storms to develop with further potential for severe gales at times. Very active period of weather currently taking hold.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

nodding my head in agreement with a couple of posters the past few hours. Met Office saying a possibility of 80mph upwards in Northern, Eastern parts of England and Scotland. Yet here in the central Pennines its not even stirring the cobwebs at the moment, must be a Foehn effect going on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme - anything but dull and dreary. The snowier the better.

nodding my head in agreement with a couple of posters the past few hours. Met Office saying a possibility of 80mph upwards in Northern, Eastern parts of England and Scotland. Yet here in the central Pennines its not even stirring the cobwebs at the moment, must be a Foehn effect going on.

Please excuse my ignorance, but would you care to explain a little?

I thought a Foehn wind was a more localised phenomenon.

Posted

Foehn Winds are the result of 'waves' rolling lee-side of hills/mountains caused by temperature abravsions which aids the strengthening of sustained windspeed, and causing SLW damage downwind of where the 'wave' occurs due to its nature.

I'm sure there's plenty of others here who can articulate it better, but it's one reason I'm suspecting why western areas in England are seeing calm winds of 20mph, while the NorthEast is being hit by 50mph+ winds, with higher gusts expected.

Posted

Wind strengthening now and becoming more noticeable around the house.

Interesting week coming up for the storm lovers :good:

Posted

Whats happened to XC weather? Most of the stations haven't been updated since 7pm!

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Posted

It seems to be the Met Office stations that are not reporting at the moment. Just checked the Met Office site and stations on there haven't reported since 7pm either.

Of all the nights :lol:

I think you will find they are reporting. And it's not that interesting a night.

http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/21.html[/url[

Posted

Wow, Mace Head Western Ireland, 56mph gust 77mph Westerly

Wasn't progged for that wind strength so far south from the depression.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Slowly getting windier here.. expecting very windy conditions early tomorrow morning.

Posted

Wind ramping up further here, the stronger winds appear to be further south than had been predicted, well at the moment. Looking at South and West Ireland as the depression moves ever closer to Northern UK from the Atlantic the wind is much stronger for example than the GFS was progging with gusts currently near 80mph on the coast and around 50mph inland at Shannon Airport. GFS does tend to underestimate wind speeds on occasions.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Wind veered NW'ly over the K5 buoy, 47mph mean.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

it has to be gusting atleast 60mph here