Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

England (Central & Southern) - Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

http://www.netweathe...;type=ens;sess=

plenty of wet weather showing on these

also average to cool temperatures from 3rd onwards

Lets hope the wet members correspond with the -5 uppers members although even then there is not enough of the -5 uppers members to suggest there is a real chance of some of the showers turning wintry.

Posted

Regional weather discussion England, is someone having a laugh.

Anyway I got sunburnt in the Lake District last week, wasn't expecting that, had my suitcase packed full of wet weather gear, and it's looking a beautiful day back home today. I guess this means Summer is going to be as bad as the last four summers.

The sun has the same strength at this time of year as it does in early-mid August. Many people get caught out at this time of year by its strength. I always take sun cream with me when walking the fells from about the middle of April if I know the sun is likely to be out. I have been caught out in the past but now am fully prepared.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Another gorgeous day outside however we have only seen 35mm of rain since march now and it is starting to get a little dry. :mellow:

I love the sun but we really do need a couple of wet days soon for the farmers. :good:

Posted

When are we going to get a decent spell of wet weather here in the SE, looked on the charts looks like some drizzle mid week at that is it, must be one of the driest March, April on record. can anybody tell us why there are so many blocking highs, what has happened to the Gulf stream? Food prices will certainly go up if we continue with this dry theme. perhaps 1977 ( standpipes outside)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

When are we going to get a decent spell of wet weather here in the SE, looked on the charts looks like some drizzle mid week at that is it, must be one of the driest March, April on record. can anybody tell us why there are so many blocking highs, what has happened to the Gulf stream? Food prices will certainly go up if we continue with this dry theme. perhaps 1977 ( standpipes outside)

It makes a change to get weather from the east, im sure we will be wondering if there is any dry weather around in a few weeks lol, only 2.7mm here in April, and 11.8mm in March, its nice to see a lack of fronts rattling over the U.K. from the west

Posted

Many years ago in Russia, there was a big celebration and rain was forecast. Certain particles were released into the atmosphere to disperse the rain clouds. If this was done for the royal wedding, a nice day with no rain, but to mess with mother nature is not good. Let's hope we are not battered with gales and heavy rain as a consequence.

Edited by yamkin

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

Many years ago in Russia, there was a big celebration and rain was forecast. Certain particles were released into the atmosphere to disperse the rain clouds. If this was done for the royal wedding, a nice day with no rain, but to mess with mother nature is not good. Let's hope we are not battered with gales and heavy rain as a consequence.

Not quite sure what you are on about... There was no cloud seeding for the royal wedding.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

And the dry spell continues... :wallbash:

I really need some damn rain I don't remember the last time my water butts (3 of them) were all empty! I need rainwater for my carnivorous plant collection. :pardon: Looks like I shall be filling the bath up with tap water and adding sulphuric acid again soon to make it useable. dry.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm , not hot , Sun ,

All us farmers had a very dry one last year and only just made enough feed to see us through this last winter , the early spring saved us , BUT continued dry weather will have an alarming effect on food prices if we get another one ,

Just about passed the traditional fill dyke period , and we need some dry in ,june, july so we are fast running out of time .

oh for just a normal year , no records of any sort , when was the last one ?

Posted

Just seen the news they are talking about low water levels and the farmers are saying we need water as all the crops need watering, Wheat prices are really high at the moment i think if it continues we should all go long wheat on the futures market

Posted

Just seen the news they are talking about low water levels and the farmers are saying we need water as all the crops need watering, Wheat prices are really high at the moment i think if it continues we should all go long wheat on the futures market

the bit in bold?

what should it be as it does not make sense to me as it is?

Posted

Basically a commodities trading term where you bet on wheat prices going up substantially later in the year by investing now in wheat as a commodity on the expectation that you sell again later in the year when the price has risen substantially. I.e gamble your money that UK and N American wheat yields will be very low this year.

I would be prepared to take that bet if N America and Canada looked like getting a similar very dry year to that which Europe seems to be getting.

Farmers in UK are seeing their crops goings 'spikey' - leaves curling tightly around the stem to reduce water loss - a sign that they are struggling to survive drought.

In the short term this should not be a great problem as root growth will be strong and the stems short and strong. If drought continues however there could be widespread failure.

Do you see signs of the next six weeks being dryer than average and is this mirrored in N America (I haven't been following what weather has been doing there)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

I've just returned from my son's Rugby (League) training and i couldn't believe how hard the ground is, it was a dust bowl and resembled pictures of hard baked lake beds during droughts in high summer , i'm not a rain fan by any stretch of the imagination infact i love the sun/heat, but i fear that unless we get some rain soon the pitches will become dangerous

Posted

Just watching the lightning radar showing things starting in the Channel. Met Office has them coming ashore 10.00 tomorrow but one strike already seems quite close to Weymouth (20 miles out perhaps?).

Has anyone seen a forecast showing them arriving sooner?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Good Evening All,

Can anyone tell me if these storms are likely to reach as far NW as my neck of the woods? NW london, herts etc?

thanks all

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Just had a brief sharp shower, enough to wet the ground but not enough to soak the grass/soil which is bone dry. Had some heath fires around here this week so any rain will be very welcome. Lightening showing up on the NW radar in the Irish sea Coastal areas , towards the North of me

Edited by Jan

Posted

Just had a brief sharp shower, enough to wet the ground but not enough to soak the grass/soil which is bone dry. Had some heath fires around here this week so any rain will be very welcome. Lightening showing up on the NW radar in the Irish sea Coastal areas , towards the North of me

hi all! im back for the storm season! WHOOP! WHOOP! :)

had a shower here this morning ! it was sooo great to smell that rain smell you get after such a dry spell and the cloud formations moving n/w were amazing to watch! wow i have missed this! :D

Posted

Had only a few hours of heavy rain in the early hours. Stopped raining about 10am and it's humid and dry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

I've just returned from my son's Rugby (League) training and i couldn't believe how hard the ground is, it was a dust bowl and resembled pictures of hard baked lake beds during droughts in high summer , i'm not a rain fan by any stretch of the imagination infact i love the sun/heat, but i fear that unless we get some rain soon the pitches will become dangerous

Well we've had a lot of rain over the past 24hrs here in Wigan and the ground is a lot softer thankfully , there seems to be a lot more overnight to come, hopefully it'll not go from one extreme(bone dry) to another(muddy) :wallbash:

Posted

Thanks Egret for the summary i couldnt said it better, if anybody knows the film trading places it explains the Commodity market and how it works, i know it was back in the 80s and before electronic trading now then everybody traded in a place called a pit, where everybody screams and shouts at each other

Posted

Rain first thing on Saturday and Sunday, but nothing really to get excited about down here

Posted

I have heard a lot of talk about this summer being cooler than average especially for the north of the country, but also a lot drier, while down south its going to be a lot wetter.

I do know however the canada met service proclaimed quite loudly that this coming summer for their maritime areas, it was going to be a lot cooler than it was last year, heck a lot cooler than its been in the last 5 or 6 summers out there. And while that really doesn't have much baring on us as such. I wouldn't be to sure, since we seem to share typical summer values, and even rain amounts being as both countries are maritime and typically wet during the summer period, with a few dry weeks thrown in.

I suspect July / August will again be at odds with what we'd normally expect those months to be. The great British summer. Actually we've already been spoiled rotten for months on end imo. I mean March, April and first week of May. I think there is prolly still plenty of warmth left in the tank through the end of May and June and perhaps first week of July to give a normal summer as such.

Thus far we've had 12.7mm of rain, which I suppose is not to be sniffed at considering we had no rain for close to 3 weeks, probably longer if I am honest..coz a few spots of rain don't count when the ground and grass is burnt and baked as hard as concrete lol

As fir Thunder, I was expecting a lot more, I am very disappointed we missed out on the frequent thunder and lightening displays. Friday night for a 12 minutes period was our lot, with 4 bolts of cloud to cloud lightening and 3 almost muted thunder rolls. The strange thing, is the thunder that was forecast for last night, just never happened. We had a few light rain showers that last no time at all, and then today we had some very potent heavy rain shower which has made up for the lack of rain over the past month or so.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Some reasonable Cape/LI values for many of us today. Late this afternoon looks good for my region (Yorkshire), so looking forward to another spell of Radar watching.

Posted

Had very heavy squally rain. Thought I saw perhaps the a lightening streak but not entirely convinced. No thunder, torrential rain at the time, that was several hours ago.

Currently its only 13C, which is huge far cry from the last couple of weeks!

Seems like every 30 mins or so we get smacked with a torrential rain shower. So far since yesterday (including) we've had an astounding 48MM rain, and it just keeps on coming.

Perfect for the shrubs and garden. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Still very very dry here in East Suffolk. Everyone (especially the farmers) have been longing for rain, and thought the last few days might show some respite. All we have seen is 0.8mm during the early morning yesterday - not much surprise it did little more than settle the dust for a couple of hours. Maybe tomorrow looks a tad more hopeful?